Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any last second advice?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Any last second advice? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 05:45
I take my GMAT for the second time this Saturday. I need a 470 overall to get into the MBA program at my school. I scored a 510 and 530 on the GMAC provided practice exams. I believe I scored a 35 and 36 on Q and 25 and 26 on V.

What concerns me slightly is I scored a 500 on the practice test prior to my first attempt at the GMAT, but only scored a 380 on the actual test.

I feel I have a better grasp of the knowledge now, as I have reviewed the Manhattan guides. My first attempt, I took the test at 6pm on a weeknight, after a full workday (which was a mistake).

Any last second tips. My problem areas are critical reasoning and geometry questions. But only needing a 470, I feel I don't need to master any one section, and if anything, should focus more on my stronger areas.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Any last second advice? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 07:12
Watch your breaks and relax the day before.

Staying positive and having fun with the GMAT.

<<====[ If you like my post, press +1 on the left]

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Any last second advice? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 07:14
At this point, you just need to be in the right mindset when you are taking the test. Don't do anything the day before and get a really good night's sleep. Being completely relaxed during the test will help you maximize the score you can get.

http://howtostudyforthegmat.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Any last second advice? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 08:36
Thanks guys. I figure at this point, I won't make any significant improvements. I believe I will focus on getting a better grasp on critical reasoning questions (especially drawing conclusions, and assumptions).

I plan on going to a winter festival with my wife Friday night, and get about 8-9 hours sleep, as my test is at noon.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Any last second advice? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 09:18
Have fun :) I'm sure you will do great.

Staying positive and having fun with the GMAT.

<<====[ If you like my post, press +1 on the left]

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Any last second advice? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 23:37
Good luck! We are having the test at the same day, same time. But I need to get 700 in order to have higher chances of acceptance. My highest practice CAT was 680, so I am not sure if I can reach 700..

Good luck to both of us!
Intern
Intern

Re: Any last second advice? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 12:54
Well guys, MBA might not be in the cards for me.

I really went to bat for the last 4 months, and put in about 150 hours.
I improved my Quan from a 24 to 31, but my Verbal went down from a 19 to 18. I worked on verbal and thought I had made significant improvements.

Not sure what happened, but I failed miserably.

I just dont think I can invest more into this dream (time and money) to see a failing score on the screen after the test is complete. My heart completely sunk into my chest. Im not even looking for a 600 or 700 like most of you, I only need a 470, which I can't attain :(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Any last second advice? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 17:15
First of all. Don't lose hope.

If you prepare for x, there is a good chance you will succeed with x-y. How about trying to prepare for x+100 as your score. I am sure if set that as your target, you 'll exceed at least x.

So, lets start by setting your target at 550 or perhaps 600.

If you are struggling with Verbal, have you identified where you are making mistakes most? Is it across all three areas or perhaps just with SC or CR or RC? If the later is the case, then there is a good chance that you can overcome this hurdle with some strategic, focused preparation.

I understand your decision not to spend any more time and money on GMAT. But, I encourage you to reconsider your decision. This site is a great resource and there are lot of fellow members who are willing and eager to help you.
Intern
Intern

Re: Any last second advice? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 06:24
Thanks for the words sanjuro. Ive definately been struggling the most with Critical Reasoning. Ive made vast improvements, and during practice sessions, have seen sharp increases in accuracy. Unfortunately, I don't get a look at details from the actual test, which would benefit me greatly.

Whats aggitating and frustrating me the most is that I accepted a job at a local University 8 months ago (huge paycut) knowing I could take advantage of a free MBA. I want to get started on my classes, and I cant get over this barrier, and it appears I will be sitting another semester on the sidelines!

I might consider spending more time on this after a few months, but definately not money. I need effective study techniques/materials/questions/tests that are free.......my bank account can't handle any more cost :(
Re: Any last second advice?   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2011, 06:24