Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 179

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 14:06
I am planning to apply for fall 2012 and received a UT EID almost right away after I request info about the program. If this is the same one you use to apply and access your application status it looks like the issue many of you have had is fixed. Hopefully by the time I submit my app I don't have to wait 12 weeks plus... that definitely would be a turn off for me
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 17:56
ariz3260 wrote:
I am planning to apply for fall 2012 and received a UT EID almost right away after I request info about the program. If this is the same one you use to apply and access your application status it looks like the issue many of you have had is fixed. Hopefully by the time I submit my app I don't have to wait 12 weeks plus... that definitely would be a turn off for me

Apply early
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 17:57
C20 wrote:
Got in! Applied 1 April, interviewed 18 May...accepted 20 May!!!! Hook 'em Horns!

congrats
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 18:13
lagomez wrote:
ariz3260 wrote:

Apply early

I will. I am looking at the essay topics for this year and will do a draft on all of them. I figure they probably won't change anything too drastic, and most of the material probably would still apply even if they tweak it just a tad bit. I probably will fly out over the summer to visit the campus as well, along with Rice and Texas A&M
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 18:23
ariz3260 wrote:
lagomez wrote:
ariz3260 wrote:

Apply early

I will. I am looking at the essay topics for this year and will do a draft on all of them. I figure they probably won't change anything too drastic, and most of the material probably would still apply even if they tweak it just a tad bit. I probably will fly out over the summer to visit the campus as well, along with Rice and Texas A&M

All good schools. I guess you like texas or are looking to work in texas post MBA or both
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 18:38
lagomez wrote:

All good schools. I guess you like texas or are looking to work in texas post MBA or both

I am living in Arizona and I figure I want to stay in the west/southwest regions post MBA. Though I have not been to Texas I think it has more in common with AZ, only Texas is a more vibrant metropolis with plenty of job opportunities. Also from what I read on these biz school forums people in Texas seem fairly nice and down to earth, exactly my kind of people. Culture wise schools in the Texas area seem to be a good fit for me as I am definitely more collaborative in nature rather than competitive and cutthroat. The more I read about Texas the more I think I am a good fit not just with the schools but also with the state in general.

I am looking forward to my Texas trip to confirm my observations and to check out the schools, if all goes well I should be attending school there next year :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: McCombs, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 19:48
ariz3260 wrote:
lagomez wrote:

I am living in Arizona and I figure I want to stay in the west/southwest regions post MBA. Though I have not been to Texas I think it has more in common with AZ, only Texas is a more vibrant metropolis with plenty of job opportunities. Also from what I read on these biz school forums people in Texas seem fairly nice and down to earth, exactly my kind of people. Culture wise schools in the Texas area seem to be a good fit for me as I am definitely more collaborative in nature rather than competitive and cutthroat. The more I read about Texas the more I think I am a good fit not just with the schools but also with the state in general.

I am looking forward to my Texas trip to confirm my observations and to check out the schools, if all goes well I should be attending school there next year :)

Tomorrow will mark the 16th week since I submitted my application. Looks like this year is right on par with last year, so expect to wait longer than twelve weeks. Not everyone does, but it's pretty common.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 00:37
Well, I was accepted to McCombs MBA on April 25 (applied on January 14), and I have to give my answer by this Wednesday.
What annoys me is that I still have not had any information on whether I have been awarded any scholarship/ fellowship. I think that the financing question is essential for all international students (especially provided that there is no possibility to take a loan without co-signer at McCombs) and it really surprises me that McCombs does not provide any information on that before the decision has to be made. It is as if they do not really care whether I go there or not.
I guess I will reject their offer and go for a full-ride at another top-25 program. Who knows how long will it take for McCombs to make up their mind (I have written an e-mail and am yet to receive any up-date), and I do not want to compromise on guessing whether I will have enough time to process the F-1 visa.
So, sorry for flaming, but my point is: imho, not only applicants should sell themselves to the program, but program should sell itself also. And for me, McCombs is not doing great job in this regard.
Intern
Intern
Schools: McCombs, Indiana

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 05:09
Rado,

I agree with you on several of your points, I'm not an international applicant so my perspective is a bit different. This process does seem to be unusual when compared to other programs. If you've got a full ride to another top 25 program, I think you're right to take it. You may like Texas better but you'll never be upset with yourself for taking a free education at a top business school.

If you don't mind, would you share you specs? GMAT, GPA, etc.
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 05:19
Rado wrote:
Well, I was accepted to McCombs MBA on April 25 (applied on January 14), and I have to give my answer by this Wednesday.
What annoys me is that I still have not had any information on whether I have been awarded any scholarship/ fellowship. I think that the financing question is essential for all international students (especially provided that there is no possibility to take a loan without co-signer at McCombs) and it really surprises me that McCombs does not provide any information on that before the decision has to be made. It is as if they do not really care whether I go there or not.
I guess I will reject their offer and go for a full-ride at another top-25 program. Who knows how long will it take for McCombs to make up their mind (I have written an e-mail and am yet to receive any up-date), and I do not want to compromise on guessing whether I will have enough time to process the F-1 visa.
So, sorry for flaming, but my point is: imho, not only applicants should sell themselves to the program, but program should sell itself also. And for me, McCombs is not doing great job in this regard.

Have you called the school and explained the situation?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 07:37
utmalum2008 wrote:
Rado,

I agree with you on several of your points, I'm not an international applicant so my perspective is a bit different. This process does seem to be unusual when compared to other programs. If you've got a full ride to another top 25 program, I think you're right to take it. You may like Texas better but you'll never be upset with yourself for taking a free education at a top business school.

If you don't mind, would you share you specs? GMAT, GPA, etc.

I second this. At least you have other option, and not a bad on at that either!

I hope McCombs adcom is seeing this and realized the number of good solid potential applicants they are losing to other schools because of the long wait time. I hope they get it fix soon... whatever it is that needs fixing
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 07:46
utmalum2008 wrote:
Tomorrow will mark the 16th week since I submitted my application. Looks like this year is right on par with last year, so expect to wait longer than twelve weeks. Not everyone does, but it's pretty common.

I was hoping that was an exception rather than the norm... but it sure doesn't appear that way :|
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua(no int), Darden(no int), McCombs , Kenan-Flagler, McDonough, Smith(w/$$)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 10:29
Rado wrote:

Did you try logging in via the link in the financial aid email, clicking on "My History" on the left menu, then clicking on "View My Financial Aid at UT Austin". You should be able to see if there is an scholarship/grant there.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 17:12
Rado,

My understanding is that you should get your loan/scholarship information before you must make your deposit or at least that is what I was told in my admit call. I have to make my deposit by June 1st and also have not received my loan information (I have logged in, and it is not available). Please let us know when you do get that information. Like you, I would hate to make a non-refundable deposit without reviewing the financing!

Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 10:21
Today - one day before my decision deadline - I received the scholarship decision. I have been awarded a fellowship. However, it still is some way below the offer I have from another program.
I'll keep you lads updated on my decision, but for now I just wanted to share the good news! :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 10:56
Rado wrote:
Today - one day before my decision deadline - I received the scholarship decision. I have been awarded a fellowship. However, it still is some way below the offer I have from another program.
I'll keep you lads updated on my decision, but for now I just wanted to share the good news! :)

Congrats! Do let us know what your final decision is! :-D
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 13:09
Got in off the waitlist. Goodluck to those still waiting
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 00:35
Not joining this fall. Deferred admission.

Best of luck and Congratulations to everyone who got in! :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 04:55
lseguy, is UT still offering the 1 year no questions asked deferrals, or did you have to give specific reasons and convince them of the need for deferral?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 09:04
Did anyone else on the WL get an email last night saying their application would be reviewed today?
Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants   [#permalink] 25 May 2011, 09:04