Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1, Chicago R1, UCLA R1, Cornell R2
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden 2013
WE 1: IT Consulting
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink]
MBAstudent2011 wrote:
I need to make a decision by Jan 3rd. I'm disappointed that I will not be able to take any offer from McCombs into account if it will take them this long. However, based on how trouble ridden the application process has been this year, I'm not surprised they are behind schedule in their decision process. I hope this is not an indication of how the program is run overall.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised at the time-line. If you look back at last years thread very few people reported decisions in December. Most started in January. Keep in mind that the students are very involved in admissions process and they are not available all that much due to the calendar in December.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
MBAJam wrote:
MBAstudent2011 wrote:
I need to make a decision by Jan 3rd. I'm disappointed that I will not be able to take any offer from McCombs into account if it will take them this long. However, based on how trouble ridden the application process has been this year, I'm not surprised they are behind schedule in their decision process. I hope this is not an indication of how the program is run overall.

Bummer. Having to decide before 1/3 is a rough spot. I agree w/the previous post that suggested calling. Both sides lose in this scenario. McCombs will undoubtedly lose out on some quality applicants AND you worked hard to get the applications in early enough where a decision could have been reasonably expected.

I obviously thought highly enough of the program to apply, but the overall lack of organization in the admissions process is not representing McCombs well. Of course, some timely admissions could always cure that... :)

To be fair, a slick admissions office isn't exactly the same as a well run school as a whole. In my experience, admissions is run almost entirely separate from the rest of the school.

I think they've had some issues, but they still got invites out on a reasonable schedule. And there are plenty of schools with R1 deadlines that don't give decisions until January. Not to mention Texas uses rolling admission.

Waiting sucks for now, but unless you're in the situation like MBAstudent2011 where you have a definite decision date, waiting a few weeks longer won't make a difference to the end result.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
My situation was interesting as well. I sent in my application on November 28, and I received an interview invite 2 days later (before even having the chance to pay my application fee). I honestly have no idea what that even means. It seems like there is no exact pattern to this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Kudos
It's my firm belief that everyone on this forum should be accepted. Is that enough to make it happen? I was certainly hoping for a 2010 decision as well, but I guess patience is a virtue.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
burnttwinky wrote:
My situation was interesting as well. I sent in my application on November 28, and I received an interview invite 2 days later (before even having the chance to pay my application fee). I honestly have no idea what that even means. It seems like there is no exact pattern to this.

Happened the same thing to me. Applied on 15th NOV, int invite on 18th and interviewed on the 1st of December. All the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
What to put in the GPA column if you have result in %?
Any international applicant out there can help??

And do we have to consider the last two years of the undergrad??

Count me in for R2...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
iamwhoiam123 wrote:
What to put in the GPA column if you have result in %?
Any international applicant out there can help??

And do we have to consider the last two years of the undergrad??

Count me in for R2...

I used services from these guys.

https://www.wes.org/students/igpacalc.asp

They charged a fee of 5 $ or so and allowed the conversion. I believe there was no way to enter the % in any field. Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations
Schools:McCombs class of 2013
 Q42  V45 GMAT 2: 710  Q41  V47
WE 1: 8 years Navy
Send PM
MBAJam wrote:
MBAstudent2011 wrote:

Bummer. Having to decide before 1/3 is a rough spot. I agree w/the previous post that suggested calling. Both sides lose in this scenario. McCombs will undoubtedly lose out on some quality applicants AND you worked hard to get the applications in early enough where a decision could have been reasonably expected.

I obviously thought highly enough of the program to apply, but the overall lack of organization in the admissions process is not representing McCombs well. Of course, some timely admissions could always cure that... :)

I was very surprised to get my call when I did. All of the other schools I am applying to (with the exception of Stanford, which dinged me today) don't release decisions until the middle of January. Is it Rice that is making you decide by Jan 3?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
speaking about rice..How good is Rice compared to McCombs. Heard they have a good finance program and nothing else..the rankings are confusing too and are not consistent in BW,US news, economist and ft. Any comment on this people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
 Q47  V44
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
I am very familiar with Rice, and just got a very nice offer from the business school. Here is my objective opinion:

The Jones School is still very young, but it is definitely an up-and-coming school and has put together a solid program. I don't think the US News ranking of 38 (?) comes close to doing it justice. Definitely seems like its strength is in placing people in banking/finance, particularly in Houston. Within Texas, the Rice brand alone carries a lot of weight. However, I don't think there is a question that, nationally, McCombs is viewed as the stronger, more prestigious program, and its admissions are more competitive. You can't go wrong with Rice though, particularly if you want to work in Texas.

I am still super anxious/nervous to hear back from McCombs, although the Rice offer will be tough to turn down.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
brothersharp wrote:
MBAJam wrote:
MBAstudent2011 wrote:

I was very surprised to get my call when I did. All of the other schools I am applying to (with the exception of Stanford, which dinged me today) don't release decisions until the middle of January. Is it Rice that is making you decide by Jan 3?

UNC wants an answer by 1/3. Rice needs an answer by 1/14. I just got an offer from Rice that might be too tough to turn down, specially since I'm already in Houston. Which means I would have a couple of more weeks to make a decision on McCombs. Truth is I should have applied earlier to UT, I just didn't think it would take them this long.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
So, I got out of my GMAT 4 hours ago and didn't bomb it, so please add my to the McCombs list for R2 :-)

I'm actually going to be in Austin from the last week of this month visiting family for the first time. It is my first time visiting Austin so i'm quite excited.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
thmgoodw wrote:
So, I got out of my GMAT 4 hours ago and didn't bomb it, so please add my to the McCombs list for R2 :-)

I'm actually going to be in Austin from the last week of this month visiting family for the first time. It is my first time visiting Austin so i'm quite excited.

Congrats. Austin is a great town. I have lived there for 6 years, and I can promise you that you wont be disappointed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Any fellow Indians, Are you entering your High School Certficate ICSE, SSC or 10+2 i.e. College Board of Intermidiate Education?

Hey are you guys also reporting your GPA? It costs 125$ to get a conversion. https://www.wes.org/fees/schedule.asp Wheez

Please answer.
Regards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Trust me it's no more than 5$.

https://www.wes.org/students/igpacalc.asp

Select the country and enter your marks from the transcripts. Once you are done and click calculate they will tell you the cost. I vividly remember it to be 5$ and an email was sent with the gpa

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mtnman2011 wrote:
I am very familiar with Rice, and just got a very nice offer from the business school. Here is my objective opinion:

The Jones School is still very young, but it is definitely an up-and-coming school and has put together a solid program. I don't think the US News ranking of 38 (?) comes close to doing it justice. Definitely seems like its strength is in placing people in banking/finance, particularly in Houston. Within Texas, the Rice brand alone carries a lot of weight. However, I don't think there is a question that, nationally, McCombs is viewed as the stronger, more prestigious program, and its admissions are more competitive. You can't go wrong with Rice though, particularly if you want to work in Texas.

I am still super anxious/nervous to hear back from McCombs, although the Rice offer will be tough to turn down.

I agree with you. I got a very lucrative offer from Rice as well and need to reply before 1/14. Since I am an international student, the scholarship means a lot to me. Leaning heavily towards Rice. Of course everything changes if McCombs gives a favorable decision.

PS: I interviewed on the 1st of Dec and no update yet.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
When and how did Rice release decisions?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  70   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts