Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any meaning behind receiving marketing emails?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Any meaning behind receiving marketing emails? [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 10:24
When I took the GMAT, I elected the option to share my information with schools. While this has flooded my inbox with emails from schools that I'm not considering, I did receive emails from a few schools that I'm quite fond of. Most of the emails aren't mentioning me by name, but rather talking about the strength of their programs. Strangely, IE in Spain and LBS both offered me priority review and/or a streamlined application, which caught me offguard because they're both great schools.

The first US school that I received a marketing email from was from University of Chicago. It was a huge reach for me because of my low GPA, but I loved the school, the culture, and the open curriculum so I applied anyway and was actually invited to interview (still waiting on response). I also received an email from Cornell, which I might apply to in Round 2. I can understand these two because both of these schools play to my strengths in finance, and both seem to be more forgiving of lower GPAs (cornell much more so than booth).

The one that was particularly shocking, however, was Dartmouth. I received two marketing emails from them over the last two days.... I wasn't planning on applying to Dartmouth because I fall outside of their 80% GPA range... but does the fact that I am receiving these emails from them indicate that I might have a shot? I love their placement for rotational leadership programs (my focus) and wouldn't mind living up north. I'd be a good fit if they could forgive my low GPA.

Note: i did report my low GPA when taking the GMAT, so they should have received that information too.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Law)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 18

Re: Any meaning behind receiving marketing emails? [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 13:30
Yes and No...

Not trying to sound mean, but I think if you're gauging your chances of getting into a school by the receipt of a marketing email, you have not done enough research on the school and reflection on your own profile.

Remember, a school pockets $200 to review your application so what's the harm in them sending out mass emails if they can get $200 per app? I'm not saying you don't have a chance, but I think if you do enough research on the school and know the weaknesses in your profile, you should have a fair idea on your chances. At the same time, the MBA application process is a holistic process so don't be too hard on yourself either.

I received emails from Booth and Dartmouth too fyi but I know for a fact that I am beyond a long shot there :P

At the end of the day, take it with a grain of salt. But if you truly love a school and would crawl naked on broken glass to get there, I say go for it.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: Any meaning behind receiving marketing emails? [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 16:08
700 / 3.59... i don't think you'd be beyond a long shot... Duke isn't an easy program to get into.

Did anyone receive these marketing emails that had a low GMAT/GPA?

I agree with you though... i don't think i should base it on that... I already had my r2 schools picked out and i should probably just stick to the books.
Re: Any meaning behind receiving marketing emails?   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2013, 16:08