Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 23:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any Normal People Here?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 240
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2007, 04:28
Well, if it helps your conscience My GPA is under 3.0, because I always worked during university, and I took two course LAW and Economics. My GMAT isn't dne yet, but I expect it is high enough to justify my low GPA.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 164
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 07:23
andrehaui wrote:
Well, if it helps your conscience My GPA is under 3.0, because I always worked during university, and I took two course LAW and Economics. My GMAT isn't dne yet, but I expect it is high enough to justify my low GPA.


What score you trying to get? Whats your age and attempted school
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2005
Posts: 202
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 12:10
I can't tell you guys how excited I was to find this thread! I was also getting very frustrated with all of the "I have a 3.9 GPA, I studied for the GMAT for two weeks and scored 750, but I'm worried that I won't get into the schools I applied to" posts. I was really starting to think that (a) that the GMAT is actually very easy and I'm just stupid and (b) the elite schools are the only ones where it is worthwhile to get an MBA.

I'm applying to the Fisher CoB at The Ohio State University for their PTMBA. It is the only school that I'm applying to since my husband works for OSU and I work in Columbus, I got my undergrad at OSU and they offer a very good PT program.

My undergrad GPA was a 2.63 (but like someone else here mentioned, I have some medical reasons for that) and after studying tirelessly for a month, I scored a 600 on the GMATprep I took yesterday. Trust me, I was ecstatic over that score! At the OSU PT program, it says that 80% of the students received a 550 or better. I'm hoping to get around a 650 to make up for my low GPA and the fact that although I have about 7 yrs. work experience, it has been as an Executive Assistant (secretary) and my undergrad degree is in middle childhood education. Thankfully, I do have other leadership experiences to pad my resume.

What I would suggest to everyone is to actually speak with someone in the admissions departments of the schools you'd like to apply for. I was worried that with my low GPA, irrelevant major, and the fact that I don't have some big job title with a fortune 500 company, there would be no way I'd be accepted. I wanted to know if there was any chance for me there before I spent the time and money to take the GMAT and apply. I was assured that there is a very good chance that I could get in. Boy, did that make me feel a whole lot better!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 164
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2007, 07:04
ishcabibble wrote:
I can't tell you guys how excited I was to find this thread! I was also getting very frustrated with all of the "I have a 3.9 GPA, I studied for the GMAT for two weeks and scored 750, but I'm worried that I won't get into the schools I applied to" posts. I was really starting to think that (a) that the GMAT is actually very easy and I'm just stupid and (b) the elite schools are the only ones where it is worthwhile to get an MBA.

I'm applying to the Fisher CoB at The Ohio State University for their PTMBA. It is the only school that I'm applying to since my husband works for OSU and I work in Columbus, I got my undergrad at OSU and they offer a very good PT program.

My undergrad GPA was a 2.63 (but like someone else here mentioned, I have some medical reasons for that) and after studying tirelessly for a month, I scored a 600 on the GMATprep I took yesterday. Trust me, I was ecstatic over that score! At the OSU PT program, it says that 80% of the students received a 550 or better. I'm hoping to get around a 650 to make up for my low GPA and the fact that although I have about 7 yrs. work experience, it has been as an Executive Assistant (secretary) and my undergrad degree is in middle childhood education. Thankfully, I do have other leadership experiences to pad my resume.

What I would suggest to everyone is to actually speak with someone in the admissions departments of the schools you'd like to apply for. I was worried that with my low GPA, irrelevant major, and the fact that I don't have some big job title with a fortune 500 company, there would be no way I'd be accepted. I wanted to know if there was any chance for me there before I spent the time and money to take the GMAT and apply. I was assured that there is a very good chance that I could get in. Boy, did that make me feel a whole lot better!


Does your husband have any pull? The mediocre gpa is less of a factor because you have been out of school for like 10 years or whatever and because you're going part time. However, there don't seem to be many people on this forum like me around 23-26 with mid gmat(590-640), semi-low gpa(2.5-3.0) who're trying to go to a ok school. Rollins, Seton Hall, Clemson, Tennessee, Iowa State, Denver...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2005
Posts: 202
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2007, 08:12
Unfortunately, as an HVAC guy, my husband has exactly zero pull. However, I will get 25% off tuition! Also, I have actually only been out of school for about 2 yrs. I took a bit longer than most to graduation with my undergrad (I'm 29-was 27 when I graduated), since most of those 7-8 years of full-time work experience was while I was going to school (part-time, which is no easy feat at a traditional college like OSU!).

The last I heard, the OSU MBA program was listed in the top 25 or so, so it's a pretty good program. I wasn't terribly worried about the number of years of work experience I have, but I was worried about the quality. I went to an information session, and there were all of these people there who are financial managers and the like from really big name companies. Of course they say that they like diversity and are open to it, and they even had someone there who was a dental hygenist who got the PTMBA and opened up their own business, but I just wasn't quite sure whether to believe them or not.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Any Normal People Here? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2007, 21:18
While the average scores at Harvard, +Wharton and INSEAD are in 700's, there are other less prestigious but good schools will have average scores that may be in the 500s or even less.

It may be possible to ovecome a low GMAT score with an impressive portfolio of good work experience (2-3 years), outstanding references and good essays. Not every one scores a 700 and get a 4.0 GPA, yet there is a college for almost everyone.


golfpro20050 wrote:
Any people that don't have 3.8 gpa's and 700 on their gmat? Anyone around a 600 and a 2.6 like me? Any plans?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Any Normal People Here? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2007, 21:26
While the average scores at Harvard,Wharton and INSEAD are in 700's, there are other less prestigious but good schools will have average scores that may be in the 500s or even less.

It may be possible to ovecome a low GMAT score with an impressive portfolio of good work experience (2-3 years), outstanding references and good essays. Not every one scores a 700 and get a 4.0 GPA, yet there is a college for almost everyone. You can also have a look at the Princeton review's web page or simply refer to manya education site for more info.




golfpro20050 wrote:
Any people that don't have 3.8 gpa's and 700 on their gmat? Anyone around a 600 and a 2.6 like me? Any plans?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 1176
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 01:37
And.. of course you don't have to enter Harvard, Wharton or Columbia to have a successful career. :-D Any top 20 schools are a good propeller if you are a smart one.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 164
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 06:54
tennis_ball wrote:
And.. of course you don't have to enter Harvard, Wharton or Columbia to have a successful career. :-D Any top 20 schools are a good propeller if you are a smart one.


lol. I don't think this person was talking about top 20. More like 75-100 type schools. 640 gmat, 2.7. low work experience
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The minority [#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 17:31
Hey, my gpa is crap like 2.2 in a B.Comm from a good skool but hv alot of work experience, especially in asia, where i am assuming most pple will not have, (and im not referring to the typical HK) workied in indonesia + malaysia.....but i am feeling this GMat is draining me, gpa sucked because i paid for and did it on my own etc etc, any hope for me? Im using the princeton review now, going thru the the sections then will do the practice Qs, unfortunatley not working now so no guaranteed $ from my work for the tuition, am i dreaming with this crappy gpa or wht? others hv told me just try CFA, no ref letters or 2 yrs of my life etc etc, but im not that type of person, pls advise + be honest, i can take it, i have heard worse, thanks! PS: i hope they look at the degree + work exp more then the GPA and maybe GMAT, any thoughts?

Cheers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 279
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The minority [#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 17:06
Miracleman wrote:
Hey, my gpa is crap like 2.2 in a B.Comm from a good skool but hv alot of work experience, especially in asia, where i am assuming most pple will not have, (and im not referring to the typical HK) workied in indonesia + malaysia.....but i am feeling this GMat is draining me, gpa sucked because i paid for and did it on my own etc etc, any hope for me? Im using the princeton review now, going thru the the sections then will do the practice Qs, unfortunatley not working now so no guaranteed $ from my work for the tuition, am i dreaming with this crappy gpa or wht? others hv told me just try CFA, no ref letters or 2 yrs of my life etc etc, but im not that type of person, pls advise + be honest, i can take it, i have heard worse, thanks! PS: i hope they look at the degree + work exp more then the GPA and maybe GMAT, any thoughts?

Cheers!


I know people who were accepted with GPA 2.5 to top 20 prestigious schools. You can't really fix your GPA, but you can balance it with decent GMAT. I would recommend to study hard for GMAT(try to get at least 650).
Good luck.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 164
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: The minority [#permalink] New post 05 May 2007, 09:16
Miracleman wrote:
Hey, my gpa is crap like 2.2 in a B.Comm from a good skool but hv alot of work experience, especially in asia, where i am assuming most pple will not have, (and im not referring to the typical HK) workied in indonesia + malaysia.....but i am feeling this GMat is draining me, gpa sucked because i paid for and did it on my own etc etc, any hope for me? Im using the princeton review now, going thru the the sections then will do the practice Qs, unfortunatley not working now so no guaranteed $ from my work for the tuition, am i dreaming with this crappy gpa or wht? others hv told me just try CFA, no ref letters or 2 yrs of my life etc etc, but im not that type of person, pls advise + be honest, i can take it, i have heard worse, thanks! PS: i hope they look at the degree + work exp more then the GPA and maybe GMAT, any thoughts?

Cheers!


skool is cool! My advise. Work your butt off on gmat. Get a 600 plus. Get help with your essays. Get a good story for your application.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 21:49
ok guys thanks for the motivation!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2008
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Any Normal People Here? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 08:13
Hi Everyone,
I am new here and am very excited to come across this thread. I am one of those "normal", "mediocre" ppl as well. I have yet to take my GMAT exam, it will be my first time taking it. (In 10 days....o man, pray for me) I don't even want to mention how I'm scoring on my practice exam...way too embarrassed. Undergrad is 2.89...can I just say 2.9?

Last edited by missbrooklyn on 12 Apr 2008, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Any Normal People Here? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 08:30
glad to see this thread!

550 GMAT, 2.8 GPA, roughly 4 years of WE

Am going to retake my GMAT in hopes to 630+

Looking to apply to FT Boston Colllege, FT Boston Uni, Babson 1 year


and yeah, I'm from Boston and dont wanna leave. haha :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Any Normal People Here? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 06:30
My personal goal is a 700. However, the CoB I'm applying to (Florida State University) doesn't require anywhere near that--it's just something I want to achieve for my own satisfaction. If I score a 550 or 600, I won't retake the test; I won't need to, because those are still high enough to get into FSU.

My GPA is something like 3.8 and I graduated cum laude, so I'm okay there. In fact, in my junior and senior years it was much closer to 4.0.

As for experience, I actually ran a small business for several years, so I'm hoping that will look good on my application. The business was actually profitable, and when my partner and I closed it we didn't owe anyone any money. That's more than a lot of small business can say! :-)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Any Normal People Here? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 13:53
I was thinking the same thing! I'm so happy about this post. I got a 2.9 during my undergrad and I went to an OK school - one of the bottom tier UCs. I'm going to get a great score to compensate for my crappy GPA!! :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Any Normal People Here? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 11:49
My people!

Heh, seriously though, I only had a 2.9 gpa from a csu school and my work experience is weak. I just got my ass handed to me in the CFA level I exam and figured I give this a shot while I'm looking for work.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Any Normal People Here? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 10:58
I am so happy I found this post! I was freaking out that if I didn't get a 650-700 I must be lacking smarts. I've been out of school for 10 years and can't even remember my GPA - but I was a solid "B" student. I don't even know what school I am going to apply yet. I am aiming for a 600-650 on my test to make sure I have options. Heck, I am not even sure if I am going for MBA or Masters in Communications! Now that threw you all for a loop I am sure!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 180
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

Re: Any Normal People Here? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 13:04
what can I say?

it has been 9 months since i started studying for gmat and i scored 430 in the last gmatprep i did!!!
Re: Any Normal People Here?   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2009, 13:04
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Any Norwegians here? FredheimK 1 10 Feb 2014, 12:43
Experts publish their posts in the topic Any chance here? YogaGirl 1 09 Mar 2009, 01:46
Any property owners here? olive 5 28 Jan 2009, 06:41
Any People Going to Non top 50 Schools here? IHATEMELGIBSON1 1 03 Apr 2007, 07:22
Any traveling consultants here? mbagal1 0 25 Dec 2006, 11:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Any Normal People Here?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ] 

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.