Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools:The University of Texas at Austin
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools:The University of Texas at Austin
 Q48  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
I applied R1 because I need to know where I'm going ASAP. I'm in Germany now and would like as much time as possible to plan a move back to the US. The 2 month notification delay between R1 and R2 isn't a deal-breaker, it's just not preferred.

I've heard from current students at Stanford and MIT that R1 is the way to go. Adcoms seem unwilling to admit that though!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
I too have been planning R2 apps from day one. R1 was decent, but I have to be realistic and have a backup plan too.

However, I didn't firm up on my R2 schools until I completed my R1 schools. It took some time to decide on which R2 schools to apply to.

I was tempted to squeeze in Ross as an R1 after I realised that I had finished Tuck way early. But decided against it simply because I would not have had been able to guarantee my recommenders completing it on time. I usually give a 2 month lead time to my recommenders.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
After 4 R1 applications, one ding and no news on any other submitted R1 apps, I have decided that I can't just sit around and wait. My application has gotten stronger over time and I believe that I can make it even better. Hence, I will start on some R2 schools while I am waiting to hear from R1 interview decisions. It can't hurt ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
DrivinWest wrote:
I've heard from current students at Stanford and MIT that R1 is the way to go. Adcoms seem unwilling to admit that though!

Well, Stanford kind of admits that:

www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/admission/application_calendar.html wrote:
If you are considering applying in either Round 1 or Round 2, we encourage you to consider Round 1. Over the past few years, we've noticed more applicants applying in Round 2 and, as a result, this round has become bigger and a bit more competitive. You should never rush your application. But on the margin, earlier is better.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I already assumed that R2 was harder, but I'm a little surprised that Stanford admitted this.

I guess they hated the bumrush in R2.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I did all my research back in June/July, and picked the 4 schools I wanted to apply to. The only reason I have a R2 right now is because Stanford took a lot more time than I thought, and I couldn't get Kellogg's in before the earlier deadline.

Other than that, I don't plan on applying to any R2 schools other than Kellogg (which slipped from R1). Hopefully I get into one of the 4 I apply to...

BTW, I also applied to R1 because I wanted to know as early as possible so I can sell my place and maybe take a few months off to travel.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
At some schools, applying R1 is better than R2. At others, it is considered equal.

From the Ultra - Elites the ones at which you may want to apply in R1: MIT and Stanford, plus Columbia's ED. The rest are assumed to be R2 neutral.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
At some schools, applying R1 is better than R2. At others, it is considered equal.

From the Ultra - Elites the ones at which you may want to apply in R1: MIT and Stanford, plus Columbia's ED. The rest are assumed to be R2 neutral.

L.

MIT they pretty much said your chances are 50% better first round.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
especially since MIT only has 2 rounds, and the 2nd round is really tough to get in.

For Stanford, if you check admissions411, a slightly higher (~5%) people get admitted in R1 than R2.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
especially since MIT only has 2 rounds, and the 2nd round is really tough to get in.

For Stanford, if you check admissions411, a slightly higher (~5%) people get admitted in R1 than R2.

I guess if delaying a round improves your app by more than 5% it's worth the delay.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
kryzak wrote:

I guess if delaying a round improves your app by more than 5% it's worth the delay.

the acceptance rates for r1 and r2 were 19% and 14% last year... the acceptance rates differ by 35%, so you better improve your app by 35% :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
haha, a classic example of statistics "lying". :)

But yes, dabots is right, the raw increase in acceptances is 5%, from 14->19%. BUT the improvement of your chances is 35% (19/14 - 1). So if you can get your application 35% better in R2, then it's worth the wait.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
haha, a classic example of statistics "lying". :)

But yes, dabots is right, the raw increase in acceptances is 5%, from 14->19%. BUT the improvement of your chances is 35% (19/14 - 1). So if you can get your application 35% better in R2, then it's worth the wait.

That would be a great first question on the GMAT quant.

I probably would've got that wrong too. lol
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]