Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any suggestions: Couple application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Any suggestions: Couple application [#permalink] New post 01 May 2007, 08:29
Hi

My wife and I are both trying to apply to MBA programs together with the hope that we both get into the same program. I havent really heard any previous instances of a couple being together in a MBA class. Do schools do that or do they reject one of them due to diversity issues?

Me: GMAT 760, working in Citigroup 2 yr work ex
She: GMAT 690, working in Citigroup 3 yr work ex.

Please do let me know if anyone has heard anything.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2007, 08:44
That's a really interesting situation. I've heard of several instances of couples dating at schools next to each other (MIT/Harvard and Chicago/Kellogg) but can't recall hearing of couples going into the same program together, although I'm sure it happens.

If you both apply to schools where you're both solidly above the mean GMAT (for instance a school w/ an average GMAT of 660 or so) I think you would both have an excellent chance of getting in.

I imagine it's not something you would want to bring up in your essays, although maybe it could be mentioned as a personal aside in an interview.

You should post your question under the AskAccepted.com or AskHjort forums on this site, they can probably give you some good advice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1545 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2007, 09:14
johnnyx9 wrote:
That's a really interesting situation. I've heard of several instances of couples dating at schools next to each other (MIT/Harvard and Chicago/Kellogg) but can't recall hearing of couples going into the same program together, although I'm sure it happens.

If you both apply to schools where you're both solidly above the mean GMAT (for instance a school w/ an average GMAT of 660 or so) I think you would both have an excellent chance of getting in.

I imagine it's not something you would want to bring up in your essays, although maybe it could be mentioned as a personal aside in an interview.

You should post your question under the AskAccepted.com or AskHjort forums on this site, they can probably give you some good advice.

Actually I know two - one couple at at Kellogg, one couple at the GSB. I don't know the GSB's GMAT scores - but the Kellogg ones were 620 and 720 - 620 for her, 720 for him. Part time, not full time. People do it - and they do it sucessfully.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2007, 10:16
Yep, I know several couples. One is currently at Cornell, second years. Another couple is in the 2009 class. They both got in at Cornell and at Duke. And I know of another couple at Tuck. I think it's fairly common, but I don't know anything about how to spin that in the application process. Though some schools do ask you specifically if your SO is applying as well. Duke did. I asked ndhlp if he was interested and he turned green and threw up at the very thought.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 May 2007, 10:28
if i recall correctly, 3 married couples were accepted into the Anderson class of 2009.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2007, 10:39
I met a couple at HBS. They applied to a massive number of schools to maximize their chances (I think about 9 - 10 schools). Apart from HBS, they both got into at least 3 or 4 more schools and, individually, to about 5+ schools each.

There's usually a place within the app. where you can mention that you are applying with your partner. Make sure you visit or talk to people extensively about your situation.

L.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2007, 10:43
You can try to mention in your career goals essay, if say for example you and your spouse have common career goals in the long term like starting a new company together or something.

You can also mention in your optional essay or some other essay where you talk about balancing family and career life.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2007, 12:20
i personally met a couple at the Tepper's welcome weekend...both admitted to the FT MBA program...

so, it is quite possible...though, needless to say, you both should be elligible/worthy applicants separately...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 May 2007, 15:28
I met a few at Columbia, so it definitely happens.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 May 2007, 15:53
Yes, my cousin and her husband. They met as Stanford undergrads. Both worked for a few years and both received acceptances from Harvard and Stanford. They chose Stanford.
3 years after MBA, he is working full time, she is freelancing as a consultant part time, and a mother.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2007, 03:58
I know a couple who went to Wharton, they were accepted in 4 other programs, not sure her profile, I know that his was very strong and that their GMAT scores had around 50 points GAP, being his the higghest.

I have a different situation, I will apply for MBA while my wife will probably apply for the arts institute (I really do not know how can she/we do that), so we are still studying our options, however, we still have plenty of time.

Good Luck
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 May 2007, 04:53
Ah, I remember the Darden alumnus who conducted my interview told a story of an Argentinian couple in his class. It happened quite long time ago in 1999. It's good for your application if you could nail down why you both want to study in the same place.
Current Student
Followers: 2

Thanks [#permalink] New post 02 May 2007, 06:34
Thanks a ton people for your inputs...we are both really inspired now...

Can anyone possibly send me contact details for any of the mentioned couples? If privacy is a concern, can message me.

Thanks again
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2007, 06:38
I feel like I've heard of people applying "in tandem" which means that the school decides to accept or reject both. I'm not sure which schools offer that but I think I heard this from a couple that went to Columbia.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1545 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2007, 10:04
GMATcram wrote:
Ah, I remember the Darden alumnus who conducted my interview told a story of an Argentinian couple in his class. It happened quite long time ago in 1999. It's good for your application if you could nail down why you both want to study in the same place.

I wouldnt really address this in the essays. Let each of you have your own distinct reasons. You wont have space to explain why you both want to attend. All I'd do is put something like:

"My wife, NAME, is equally excited about the opportunity to attend XXXXX and is also applying for admission this year."

somewhere in the essays.... but I wouldnt say much more about it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thanks [#permalink] New post 16 May 2007, 01:29
saurabh357 wrote:
Thanks a ton people for your inputs...we are both really inspired now...

Can anyone possibly send me contact details for any of the mentioned couples? If privacy is a concern, can message me.

Thanks again

I guess one American couple were featured in LBS' brochure last year. If you can get hold of the brochure and find the name, contacting them shouldn't be very difficult.
Re: Thanks   [#permalink] 16 May 2007, 01:29