Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Any thoughts on mbamath.com?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 53

Reviews Badge
Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 11:09
Does admissions look at this as credible, or would it do nothing to help my candidacy if I am waitlisted? My only app weakness is my GMAT quant score. if I complete, do I only have a chance to report this if I am waitlisted, or could we submit extra materials before a decison has come out?

http://www.mbamath.com/

I feel it probably can't hurt me regardless, because the refresher would definitely make my first year a bit smoother. Just wanted others opinions on this course. Thanks!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 11:33
Michmax3 wrote:
Does admissions look at this as credible, or would it do nothing to help my candidacy if I am waitlisted? My only app weakness is my GMAT quant score. if I complete, do I only have a chance to report this if I am waitlisted, or could we submit extra materials before a decison has come out?

I feel it probably can't hurt me regardless, because the refresher would definitely make my first year a bit smoother. Just wanted others opinions on this course. Thanks!

1. Depends on the school--check with the school.

2. It won't hurt
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE: Other (Insurance)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 45

Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 12:18
Michmax3 wrote:

I don't think an admissions committee would consider transcripts outside of a real college setting credible. Exceptions are professional transcripts (CFA, CPA, SOA, etc) and GMAT Scores.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 12:25
mreevit wrote:
Michmax3 wrote:

I don't think an admissions committee would consider transcripts outside of a real college setting credible. Exceptions are professional transcripts (CFA, CPA, SOA, etc) and GMAT Scores.

I tend to agree, but at the same time I can see if their only doubt is whether I would be able to handle the quantitative curiculum, I think this should help a bit showing that I've recently mastered the concepts specific to b-school, instead of only going off my college transcripts from 6 years ago (even though I did well)

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 31

Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 12:41
This post received
KUDOS
Michmax3 wrote:
mreevit wrote:
Michmax3 wrote:

I tend to agree, but at the same time I can see if their only doubt is whether I would be able to handle the quantitative curiculum, I think this should help a bit showing that I've recently mastered the concepts specific to b-school, instead of only going off my college transcripts from 6 years ago (even though I did well)

I can't remember which school but I was reading a q & a transcript and the admissions director stated they do consider it. Sorry, can't remember the school.

I would check this out with your specific school before wasting time and money.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 14:01
lagomez wrote:
Michmax3 wrote:
mreevit wrote:

I can't remember which school but I was reading a q & a transcript and the admissions director stated they do consider it. Sorry, can't remember the school.

I would check this out with your specific school before wasting time and money.

I probably do need the refresher if I don't want to struggle first year, it's 40 hours of time now, or possibly more later during an even more hectic time and $149 doesn't seem like much to lose. I think I will try it. Thanks for your input

Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 14:42
I think its a good thing to do if the school requires it:

this is from a current student in the georgetown thread
Hi adee009,

I'm a first-year MBA student from Georgetown. A lot off applicants get accepted off of the waitlist, so don't give up hope. You will have the opportunity to send in a revised resume, an additional letter of recommendation, and an essay that covers what you have been doing since applying. So be doing things to show that you are still working to get in, improve your skill set, reach your career goals, etc. Also, note that all matriculating students are required to go through an online quant program called MBA Math. Georgetown purchases subscriptions for all of the students, but you might consider purchasing a subscription for yourself, now, completing it, and sending your transcript to Admissions to indicate your initiative. Up to you. Do note that if you end up being accepted off of the waitlist, Georgetown will accept your transcript and mark that requirement as completed. You wouldn't have to go through it again. Lastly, if you haven't told admissions directly that Georgetown is your top choice, do that in your next communication with admissions. Admissions doesn't want to admit someone only to have that person turn down the offer. Let them know that you really want it. It just might give you the edge.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 14:59
jordanhendrix wrote:
I think its a good thing to do if the school requires it:

this is from a current student in the georgetown thread
Hi adee009,

I'm a first-year MBA student from Georgetown. A lot off applicants get accepted off of the waitlist, so don't give up hope. You will have the opportunity to send in a revised resume, an additional letter of recommendation, and an essay that covers what you have been doing since applying. So be doing things to show that you are still working to get in, improve your skill set, reach your career goals, etc. Also, note that all matriculating students are required to go through an online quant program called MBA Math. Georgetown purchases subscriptions for all of the students, but you might consider purchasing a subscription for yourself, now, completing it, and sending your transcript to Admissions to indicate your initiative. Up to you. Do note that if you end up being accepted off of the waitlist, Georgetown will accept your transcript and mark that requirement as completed. You wouldn't have to go through it again. Lastly, if you haven't told admissions directly that Georgetown is your top choice, do that in your next communication with admissions. Admissions doesn't want to admit someone only to have that person turn down the offer. Let them know that you really want it. It just might give you the edge.

Good luck!

Thanks, yeah I've been looking into it a bit more and see that Georgetown, Tuck, Cornell, McCombs and a few other good programs actually purchase this for their incoming students, so they must find some value in it.

I'll admit though the website totally turns me off with their bold blue and red writing and the weird layout, just makes it look less credible. They should cut one of these schools a break on their subscriptions if they can get an incoming student to redesign for them :lol:

Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 08:46
Someone in Cornell's adcom dept suggested that I take this when my quant score was weak. I completed the course in about 30 hrs. It's quality. If nothing else it's a good refresher.

Although I never applied to Cornell, so I can't tell you how it works in admissions decisions.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kelley Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 10:20
lagomez wrote:

It was Michigan and it was the Admissions Director Soojin Kwon Koh who stated that.

Cheers,
Tom
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 10:55
thmgoodw wrote:
lagomez wrote:

It was Michigan and it was the Admissions Director Soojin Kwon Koh who stated that.

Cheers,
Tom

Don't know about Ross but it's Haas that I was referring to.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kelley Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 10:59
lagomez wrote:
thmgoodw wrote:
lagomez wrote:

Cheers,
Tom

Don't know about Ross but it's Haas that I was referring to.

Well, here's Ross.

http://www.mbaquant.com/blog/2009/3/13/ ... higan.html
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 17:44
Some schools care about it, others don't. For a list of the ones that care, find the sponsors of the program on the actual site. Cornell is one of them, so they like mbamath. I believe Tuck, Notre Dame and KFBS are others that care. I doubt it would carry that much weight with schools that are not on the list, but it can't hurt.

~ If it is to be, it is up to me ~

Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Wharton, CBS, Anderson
WE 1: Ops Manager - F100
WE 2: MiTT Chief - US Army
WE 3: Infantry Platoon Leader - US Army
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 05:26
Michmax3 wrote:
Thanks, yeah I've been looking into it a bit more and see that Georgetown, Tuck, Cornell, McCombs and a few other good programs actually purchase this for their incoming students, so they must find some value in it.

I'll admit though the website totally turns me off with their bold blue and red writing and the weird layout, just makes it look less credible. They should cut one of these schools a break on their subscriptions if they can get an incoming student to redesign for them :lol:

So I see that you were accepted to Booth - what was the verdict? Did MBAMath help, or did you ever inquire about the impact? I need some quant, but I'm not crazy about taking a full university course while I'm working.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 16:27
Sorter wrote:
Michmax3 wrote:

So I see that you were accepted to Booth - what was the verdict? Did MBAMath help, or did you ever inquire about the impact? I need some quant, but I'm not crazy about taking a full university course while I'm working.

I did complete the course, but the only school I reported it to was Kellogg (they were the only one that listed on their website that they would take additional transcripts after submitting your application) and I got waitlisted there. I never even told Booth about it, so who knows? I personally did find it helpful though as a refresher and it's good for a year subscription, so I will probably go back and review again before starting classes in the fall.

Re: Any thoughts on mbamath.com?   [#permalink] 03 May 2011, 16:27