Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 11:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

any tips or tricks for time pressure in the verbal section?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

any tips or tricks for time pressure in the verbal section? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 13:14
Hi,

while practicing, I realized that my prob is stress!
i get so stress during gmatpreps and try to rush and then i end up with a few min left at the end of the section....so i rushed for nothing!!

i can control that a little in the math section, however, my main problem is the verbal section. I already have difficult in english, so imagine if i also have a prob with stress = disaster

I'm ok with the first few questions, but then loose my concentration by question 10!!
cannot concentrate any more and start thinking about family, friends, other plans if i dont pass gmat!!

i try to focus, but when im faced with a difficult question, i give up quickly and dont even think about it!!

in the gmat prep, i scored 430 - Q:34/ V.16 :oops: :oops:
i need 550...so im not that far...if i can control my stress i can improve my Verbal score

not sure how to manage my time. I know that for each question, I need to give 1.8 min...so do I keep my eye of the time after finishing each question?? ill then waste a few sec after each questions calculating the time left!!

any ideas?
how to relax? how to keep self-confidence high during the exam? how to make sure that im ok with the time left? I always take the 10 min break, but not enough for me :(
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 4

Re: any tips or tricks for time pressure in the verbal section? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 15:37
This post received
KUDOS
It might help to develop a systematic approach to verbal problems. I feel like anxiety will be less of an issue if you begin each problem with a focused plan on how to solve it.

Whenever you see a difficult problem, don't immediately freak out. Stick with your plan and analyze the problem. If it is a CR question, diagram the argument into its component parts. If it is RC, note down keywords and reference this while reading the questions. If you are having trouble with SC, make notecards for all of the grammatical rules you repeatedly get wrong and keep a log of the errors you're making.

anxiety is something everybody faces. you can work through this!

Paul

Focused GMAT Prep
http://www.thegmatbootcamp.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

Re: any tips or tricks for time pressure in the verbal section? [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 08:49
GMATBootcamp wrote:
It might help to develop a systematic approach to verbal problems. I feel like anxiety will be less of an issue if you begin each problem with a focused plan on how to solve it.

Whenever you see a difficult problem, don't immediately freak out. Stick with your plan and analyze the problem. If it is a CR question, diagram the argument into its component parts. If it is RC, note down keywords and reference this while reading the questions. If you are having trouble with SC, make notecards for all of the grammatical rules you repeatedly get wrong and keep a log of the errors you're making.

anxiety is something everybody faces. you can work through this!

thank you...I tried new strategies today in the practice exam and they worked

I got 520 :)
thanks for the reply
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

Re: any tips or tricks for time pressure in the verbal section? [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 09:20
Despite manhattan's suggestions I didn't write anything down for the verbal questions, just didn't help me (scored 46). Obviously it came easier for me naturally (unlike the quant) but I think the RC can be a big time suck if you don't approach it properly.

Carefully read the first paragraph, then just skim the rest for headline sentences and keywords. You'll have to return to the passage when you read the questions anyway so it doesn't make sense to waste a lot of time on the first read.
Re: any tips or tricks for time pressure in the verbal section?   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2009, 09:20