Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 468 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks a lot for your replies! I actually haven't taken PP yet, this was my first practice test. I was surprised at how little time I had, but I suppose that's one thing to get used to for the real exam.

i was just wondering if the hard questions in that paper exam compare at all to the kind of hard questions that you can get on the cat exam.

paz
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
toujours28 wrote:
thanks a lot for your replies! I actually haven't taken PP yet, this was my first practice test. I was surprised at how little time I had, but I suppose that's one thing to get used to for the real exam.

i was just wondering if the hard questions in that paper exam compare at all to the kind of hard questions that you can get on the cat exam.

paz

There is more time per question on the CAT than on the Paper exam: 2 mins per math question and 1:50 per verbal.

I can't say anything about the difficulty of the paper vs. CAT - I have not taken the Paper version.
Intern
Intern
 Q46  V42
Send PM
Paper vs. CAT [#permalink]
I took the paper exam in January '97 (670 - 94th percentile at the time), went to law school instead, and have recently started to prepare for the test again. So far, my preparation has consisted of the Kaplan 800 book and one PowerPrep test.

From what I have seen, I do not believe the difficult CAT questions are any more difficult than those found on the old paper test. However, the test does seem more difficult overall because these hard questions appear much more frequently. If you do well from the beginning on the CAT, you won't see the easy questions that you would have seen in the old version.

I would further note that, although the test seems to be getting more difficult, the scores seem to be more forgiving. A 92 percentile in the Verbal section and an 87th percentile in the Quantitative section only landed me a 670 back in the day. From what others have posted on this site, it seems like this same combination of percentiles would receive 700+ by today's standards.

-- Mike
GMAT Club Bot
Paper vs. CAT [#permalink]