Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

anybody taken retired paper gmat (test code 14) from ets?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

anybody taken retired paper gmat (test code 14) from ets? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2003, 08:48
Hi,

Has anybody taken this test? It's one of the retired paper tests that are being sold on mba.com, I think.

I have 2 questions:

1) if anybody has taken this test and then an actual GMAT-CAT, are they even comparable, particularly in the quantitative? These questions didn't seem that difficult, whereas I imagine the ones on the computer, since they keep increasing in difficulty, are much tougher.

2) when calculating the scores, it looks like the penalty for guessing is more severe than the penalty for omitting. does this make sense, or am i calculating it wrong? is the CAT different? My idea was that leaving a question blank on the CAT would hurt you more than guessing on a question, and that it was always important to mark an answer before moving on.

I guess now I'm confused as to whether or not I calculated my score right...

Thanks a lot, this is only the first practice test I've taken so I appreciate your help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: anybody taken retired paper gmat (test code 14) from ets [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2003, 11:18
toujours28 wrote:
Hi,

Has anybody taken this test? It's one of the retired paper tests that are being sold on mba.com, I think.

I have 2 questions:

1) if anybody has taken this test and then an actual GMAT-CAT, are they even comparable, particularly in the quantitative? These questions didn't seem that difficult, whereas I imagine the ones on the computer, since they keep increasing in difficulty, are much tougher.

2) when calculating the scores, it looks like the penalty for guessing is more severe than the penalty for omitting. does this make sense, or am i calculating it wrong? is the CAT different? My idea was that leaving a question blank on the CAT would hurt you more than guessing on a question, and that it was always important to mark an answer before moving on.

Thanks a lot, this is only the first practice test I've taken so I appreciate your help!

The penalty for omitting is now significantly higher than the penalty for getting wrong. Hence, it is imperative that you finish the exam.

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2156

Kudos [?]: 7548 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: anybody taken retired paper gmat (test code 14) from ets [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2003, 23:22
Expert's post
toujours28 wrote:
Hi,

I have 2 questions:

I agree with Akamai;

also, calculating the score on a paper test, you will never get anywhere close to the accuracy of the CAT since it varies the question based on your result on the previous question. Thus, you are taking some average difficulty questions. Your deviation can easily be 100 points. I would not really sweat calculating the exact score, but rather mimizing the number of misses due to shortage of time or just wrong ones.

I assume you probably took PP already.

-=-
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2003, 05:00
thanks a lot for your replies! I actually haven't taken PP yet, this was my first practice test. I was surprised at how little time I had, but I suppose that's one thing to get used to for the real exam.

i was just wondering if the hard questions in that paper exam compare at all to the kind of hard questions that you can get on the cat exam.

paz
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2156

Kudos [?]: 7548 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2003, 10:49
Expert's post
toujours28 wrote:
thanks a lot for your replies! I actually haven't taken PP yet, this was my first practice test. I was surprised at how little time I had, but I suppose that's one thing to get used to for the real exam.

i was just wondering if the hard questions in that paper exam compare at all to the kind of hard questions that you can get on the cat exam.

paz

There is more time per question on the CAT than on the Paper exam: 2 mins per math question and 1:50 per verbal.

I can't say anything about the difficulty of the paper vs. CAT - I have not taken the Paper version.
Intern
Intern

Paper vs. CAT [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2003, 19:45
I took the paper exam in January '97 (670 - 94th percentile at the time), went to law school instead, and have recently started to prepare for the test again. So far, my preparation has consisted of the Kaplan 800 book and one PowerPrep test.

From what I have seen, I do not believe the difficult CAT questions are any more difficult than those found on the old paper test. However, the test does seem more difficult overall because these hard questions appear much more frequently. If you do well from the beginning on the CAT, you won't see the easy questions that you would have seen in the old version.

I would further note that, although the test seems to be getting more difficult, the scores seem to be more forgiving. A 92 percentile in the Verbal section and an 87th percentile in the Quantitative section only landed me a 670 back in the day. From what others have posted on this site, it seems like this same combination of percentiles would receive 700+ by today's standards.

-- Mike
Paper vs. CAT   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2003, 19:45