Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

AnyIdeas please: Programs for non-investment finance career!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

AnyIdeas please: Programs for non-investment finance career! [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 20:08
Hi all,

I am researching for tier-1/ tier-2 MS finance programs which does not always lead to investment careers (IB/ trading/equity/asset mgmt, etc) and has good alumni network or job prospects. I would prefer to work in , lets say, pharma industry (or for that matter any industry) in a finance role. I already have an MBA (management, '05) from US and have worked in non-finance roles in pharma industry for 4 years. Currently I am in my home country but realized that I need core expertise in finance to ramp up my career.

Target: finance role in non-investment industry; expected GMAT: ~650; total exp: 6 yrs in non-finance roles in pharma industry; edu: MBA (management) '05 from US.; current location: non-US

Please share program ideas based on your experience. Thanks in advance to everyone for their suggestions!

Regards.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 22

Re: AnyIdeas please: Programs for non-investment finance career! [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 12:21
Hmmm... Really interesting requirements, pharmaceutical2005 - it looks like you have a strong background already. And we've got what may be the perfect solution: the Vanderbilt Masters in Finance.

Vanderbilt is considered one of the very best business schools for healthcare - they're not widely recognized as a top MBA program but in the healthcare sector they are hard to beat. And, they have a one-year Master's that looks pretty much ideal. The main drawback for you is that the vast majority of students are very young - many with no post-college work experience. You might not find that to be the best environment, since you won't really be studying with your peers; you'll probably be the oldest one on your team at all times. So maybe it's not a perfect fit after all... but in some perspectives it might be.

The other business schools with a solid healthcare/pharma specialization are Yale, Duke, or UNC K-F -- however it doesn't appear that they've got non-MBA Master's programs that would be suitable. We didn't study their websites extensively though so those might be good to explore in case any have relevant offerings that appeal to you.

The other program to consider is LBS MiF - minimum requirements are 2 yrs in a finance job but if you have had ANY relevant finance-ish experience then it's possible they might consider you. If you start studying for your CFA, for example, and / or take some courses to begin the prep work, then it might convince the adcom to give you a chance.

Another option is Columbia's Master of Science in Financial Economics - it's much more academically focused than you may want and it's also a 2-year program.

So that should give you some help in moving forward with your research. Let us know if we can answer questions for you along the way.
EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: AnyIdeas please: Programs for non-investment finance career! [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 18:41
Columbia's program accepts barely a handful of students. Good luck with that one.

Most MSF programs have non investment banking placements. The thing is they aren't as well known since most people looking into MSF programs are all about banking or trading. Vanderbilt, Villanova, UT Austin, Boston College, etc all have F500 rotational programs, consulting, Big 4 valuation or strategy, on and on recruiting on campus. If you don't want to do banking there are plenty of other options for you.

Honestly, if you don't want to do banking you are in a really good position. Most people in your class will be fighting over banking jobs, killing themselves with superdays and you will be one of the few going after the F500/Consulting type positions.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Re: AnyIdeas please: Programs for non-investment finance career!   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2013, 18:41