Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
what t do? [#permalink]
Hi again guys, I've been accepted in Brandeis (January) MSF and in Illinois Urbana (June). Which should I choose? IS there a great difference?
Thank you in advance
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
tomacalin wrote:
iokita wrote:
Good to see more people visiting the forum :).

Brandeis is pretty well known in the Massachusetts area and I've heard some good things about the school. If you are depending on a student Visa Brandeis sounds like a good bet. Also, Illinois and GW seem partial to candidates with work exp.

Hello everyone,

I have been watching the forum for a while and I find it quite usefull. I gues I am in a similar situation as most of you are. I am getting ready to apply for a MS Finance at a US school and I kinda don't know which way to go.
I am an international student and will finish my undergraduate in acct/fin next summer. My biggest worry is that my undergrad GPA will hurt me a lot (3.15/4.00). I had to finance my own education here in the us and that hurt my grades. Also, I do not have a lot math on my transcrips because the scholl where I am curently at does not place a great emphassis on quantitative skills.
I am ayming for a GMAT score of 700.
My question is: Given my current profile, which schools do u think would be a good fit for me?
I was thinking University of Wyoming, University of Utah; however I would love the idea of Vanderbilt or Princeton. Let me know what u think.

Cheers!

I think Wyoming and Utah should be easy for you to get into if you score close to 700, that should make up for any doubts they had regarding your GPA.

It seems like Vanderbilt welcomes international students, but they are highly selective. You will probably need to not only do well on the GMAT, but also have other areas of strength to make up for GPA. I've applied here for R1 and acadmic background was my area of weakness as well, so I'll update you on their decision. I'm hoping to be called back for an internview.

I've heard Princeton has an even lower acceptance rate and a strong Math background is required, so it might not be a good choice for you at this point.

Here are a couple other schools I considered:

Boston College
Case Western Reserve
Illinois Institute of Technology
Pepperdine - MS in Applied Finance program starting in 08
University of Illinois
Villanova
Washington University in St. Louis - you need Calc 3 at a minimum here
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: what t do? [#permalink]
pepe13 wrote:
Hi again guys, I've been accepted in Brandeis (January) MSF and in Illinois Urbana (June). Which should I choose? IS there a great difference?
Thank you in advance

Hi Pepe, I've also been accepted into Illinois. So, my preference would be to that school, maybe I will see you there if we both attend :).

Overall, I think Illinois more well known and has a stronger curriculum. But it also depends on where you want to live and what you like about each school.
Manager
Manager
[#permalink]
I got accepted into both University of Illinois and Villanova! WHere should I attend? I would like to get into I-Banking in New York. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations on your acceptances. Did you have to interview with any of the schools? If you did, can you share your experiences? Also, according to the FAQ section, the program "requires" a minimum of 2 years of work experience. Do you all have that minimum?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
raptr wrote:
Congratulations on your acceptances. Did you have to interview with any of the schools? If you did, can you share your experiences? Also, according to the FAQ section, the program "requires" a minimum of 2 years of work experience. Do you all have that minimum?

Thanks

I didnt have an interview. Currently, I have 4 months of work experience with 9 months of internship experience in the area of finance I plan to go into. UoI places an emphasis on work experience, but I dont think its required.

I was suprised how convenient the application process was and the admissions staff were extremely helpful and accomodating.

The only other school I applied to was Vanderbilt, I'm hoping to get an interview there. Anyone else apply or get a response?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
wondee wrote:
I got accepted into both University of Illinois and Villanova! WHere should I attend? I would like to get into I-Banking in New York. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

cong~!!! That's definitely good news.

Do they offer any scholarship?
Manager
Manager
[#permalink]
raptr wrote:

Thanks

I did not have to interview with either schools. I have 2 years of work experience in a Big Four Accounting firm as a CPA. Good luck with your quest.
Manager
Manager
[#permalink]
rrong19 wrote:
wondee wrote:

I think U of Ill does offer scholarship, but the decision is made around or after March 15th ( I think). So where do you think I should go?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
wondee wrote:
rrong19 wrote:
wondee wrote:

I think U of Ill does offer scholarship, but the decision is made around or after March 15th ( I think). So where do you think I should go?

Well, it is a complex question.
I think the school you'd better choose should be the one that will help lead you on your career path more smoothly, and lead you to your career goal sooner, so that the tuition you spend will be better paid off.

To me, I don't know villanova very well, except it is in the outskirt of philly. And that may be a big plus. People are saying if you wanna do finance, stay on the east coast.

As to UIUC, it is a prestigious university in general. It also has very strong finance Ph.D. program, that being said, its curricula may be stronger than those in villanova. But, as i learned from their MS finance website, they took 110 students for class 2007. This is not a small number and I doubt whether they can place all these students each in quality positions in the market.

So my suggestion is, if there is any chance you find their alumni, ask them.

hope this would help,

since i am also applying this year, share your thoughts if you find anything, :wink:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
i was asked to interview with vanderbilt, only 3 days after turning in my application!

anyone have any experience with vandy?

rrong19 wrote:
wondee wrote:
rrong19 wrote:
wondee wrote:

I think the school you'd better choose should be the one that will help lead you on your career path more smoothly, and lead you to your career goal sooner, so that the tuition you spend will be better paid off.

To me, I don't know villanova very well, except it is in the outskirt of philly. And that may be a big plus. People are saying if you wanna do finance, stay on the east coast.

As to UIUC, it is a prestigious university in general. It also has very strong finance Ph.D. program, that being said, its curricula may be stronger than those in villanova. But, as i learned from their MS finance website, they took 110 students for class 2007. This is not a small number and I doubt whether they can place all these students each in quality positions in the market.

hope this would help,

since i am also applying this year, share your thoughts if you find anything, :wink:
Manager
Manager
[#permalink]
rrong19 wrote:
wondee wrote:
rrong19 wrote:
wondee wrote:

hope this would help,

When I attended Villanova info session, I found some very interesting stuff about the program: 1) Last year's class only had about 25 students. 2) The program wants all of its graduates to work in the front office. 3) Almost all of the major investment banks in NY do recruit in campus.

As far as U of Illinois, I could not attend their info session (I dont know if they have one), because I live like 30 minutes from Villanova. The only info I got as far as the placements stats go for U of Ill is from their website, which did help, but not tremondously.

Anyways, good luck with your applications!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quick question to the Urbana Champaign accepts. The online application has a separate section called "Statements". Under this section there is one general question with a 1000-word limit and another "Program-Specific" question with a 300-word limit. However, there seems to be much overlap between both questions. My question is, did you submit both essays and if you did, how did you deal with the overlap?

Thanks for all your responses
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
raptr wrote:
Quick question to the Urbana Champaign accepts. The online application has a separate section called "Statements". Under this section there is one general question with a 1000-word limit and another "Program-Specific" question with a 300-word limit. However, there seems to be much overlap between both questions. My question is, did you submit both essays and if you did, how did you deal with the overlap?

Thanks for all your responses

Hey raptr

If you go to the application checklist on the website it will give you the program specific question, which is the only essay needed. However, I did turn in an additional essay. Both totaled about 500 words.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just had my phone interview with Vanderbilt, Owen MSF. I was pretty nervous, but I learned a lot about the school. From the interview it seemed like the focus is not only on the curriculum, but also heavily on career prepartion. It was great to hear that they even start working with students prior to entry of the program and there are recruiting events within the first two weeks of class.
One thing that concerned me was the regions that students were placed, but the interviewer mentioned that a lot of the 2008 class are focusing on careers in the North East and one individual was already placed. Overall, I was pretty impressed and I think I've made my decision, if I am admitted.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
iokita wrote:
I just had my phone interview with Vanderbilt, Owen MSF. I was pretty nervous, but I learned a lot about the school. From the interview it seemed like the focus is not only on the curriculum, but also heavily on career prepartion. It was great to hear that they even start working with students prior to entry of the program and there are recruiting events within the first two weeks of class.
One thing that concerned me was the regions that students were placed, but the interviewer mentioned that a lot of the 2008 class are focusing on careers in the North East and one individual was already placed. Overall, I was pretty impressed and I think I've made my decision, if I am admitted.

awesome, I haven't submitted my application yet. Will do so before christmas.

I like schools that also focuses on career preparation.

Good luck, and keep us posted,:)

Rong
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just wanted to let everyone know I was accepted to Vanderbilt's MS Finance program today with a $5,000 scholarship! Was contacted via phone.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts