Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 16:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anyone applying to any Analytics/Big Data programs?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Anyone applying to any Analytics/Big Data programs? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 15:33
Hello,

I've looked in the forums and didnt really see anything about people applying to Analytics programs, and I wanted to ask If there is anyone here who will apply to any program?

I am looking forward to the Northwestern Analytics Program, the MISM with BIDA track on Carnegie Mellon and the master on Data Science on NYU.

I havent taken the GMAT but I predict a score around 700, I have bad GPA, but I have strong work experience and a Bsc in Engineering.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Anyone applying to any Analytics/Big Data programs? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 10:45
I was surprised to see these programs accepting GMAT scores. The NYU program looks pretty intensive and good. However it looks it is only intended for people with undergraduate degrees in CS/Maths/Stat.

What is your view on Data Analytics in terms of career growth vis a vis traditional MBA roles such as Finance,Consulting ?

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Anyone applying to any Analytics/Big Data programs? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 19:17
Hello,

I'm looking for universities with M.S in business analytics, preferably in florida, USA. But I couldn't find any except a private college named NOVA southeastern University with MS in Management Information systems with specialization in Business Analytics. The course content seems satisfactory but i'm not sure about the reputation of the university. I used to live in Illinois and figured that McCormick school of engineering at Northwestern University costs $80000 for a full time program. I have a finance back ground with math and statistics. I truly want to pursue my education in analytics which does not seem affordable at this point. However, do you think a Masters Degree in Management Information systems and a certificate in Business Analytics would serve the same purpose? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kalyani
Intern
Intern

Re: Anyone applying to any Analytics/Big Data programs? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 21:13
It's well documented that there's a big data talent gap, but what's being done about it? What's needed is knowledge and experience. On the first front, hundreds of colleges and universities worldwide are gearing up business analytics, machine learning and other programs aimed at analysis of data in a business context.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-23-2013
GPA: 3.31
WE: Sales (Consulting)

Re: Anyone applying to any Analytics/Big Data programs? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 08:58
I'm looking for advice in regards to these programs. There seems to be a lot of ambiguity around what actually qualifies someone as a good fit for a Masters in Data Analytics, and since these programs are so new there really isn't any robust community that is able to answer basic questions without some heavy marketing from the schools themselves (aka - just apply, just do it!$!$!).

From what I've been able to gather, there is obviously a huge difference between pursuing a Masters in a Business School vs. an Engineering School, though the latter is clearly trying to burn the candle at both ends. Several engineering programs I've seen have said that "business" is a suitable undergraduate major, while at the same time allude to "strong IT and Math skills" - is the GMAT enough? If so, are applicants to assume that the GMAT requirements in the engineering school are the same as the business school? (ie. McCormick vs. Kellogg @ Northwestern)

I work within a group at a top 3 consulting firm dedicated to leveraging analytics, but my role is based around prospecting - the experience that I've been able to acquire is mostly sales and marketing related, focusing on lead management and soft skills (demos, sales/cold calls etc). Having said that, I have been exposed to significant data analysis (one of my big internal projects was to design a CRM strategy). Currently, I have 1.5 years worth of experience working at MBB (2 at maltrication, Fall 2014) with 1.2 working for a data storage hardware manufacturer (an additional prospecting role). I am confident that I can write a great story for my application, though the question remains - "what fits?"...

Any help here would be much appreciated, I have identified 5 full time programs that have caught my interest, as well as two online programs. What have you heard about these programs? Any past applicants? Current students?

Northwestern (McCormick, Engineering) http://www.analytics.northwestern.edu/
Texas (McCombs) http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/business-analytics.aspx
Carnegie Melon (Heinz) http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/school-of-info ... index.aspx
NC State (Institute for Advanced Analytics) http://analytics.ncsu.edu/ (Specifically states DO NOT send ANY standardized tests)
Bentley (B-School) http://www.bentley.edu/graduate/degree- ... -analytics

Online Programs
Cal - Berkeley (School of Information) - http://datascience.berkeley.edu/
Northwestern (School of Continuing Studies) - http://scs.northwestern.edu/info/predic ... OgodW30AnQ

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

**Also, I should point out that NYU-Stern has a policy of only accepting applicants with 5+ years of experience, which I find somewhat... interesting... considering that most of the messaging for comparable programs encourages those who are genuinely interested in learning a new skill to apply, regardless of experience. Again, the ambiguity....
Intern
Intern

Re: Anyone applying to any Analytics/Big Data programs? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 00:25
Hi,

To join in MS Analytics programs you can opt for some analytics certificate programs. Recently I came across a site called International School of Engineering (INSOFE) where in their homepage they mentioned that their (INSOFE) student have got admitted to Northwestern University and their (INSOFE) programs content, pedagogy, assessment are certified by LTI of Carnegie Mellon University. Check their site and talk to them to know more details. This might help you.

Programs they offer:

CPEE - Big Data Analytics and Optimization (insofe.edu.in/init/default/cee_program_features)
Engineering Big Data with R and Hadoop Ecosystem (insofe.edu.in/init/default/elearning_engineering_big_data)
Essentials of Applied Predictive Analytics (insofe.edu.in/init/default/elearning_data_scientist)
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 326 Q166 V160

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Anyone applying to any Analytics/Big Data programs? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 10:53
I am also a business graduate interested in big data programs. But I have noticed that very few big-name universities are offering masters in big data / analytics. From the list by slinefeld, I like the northwestern program. But I have general feel that MISM (even if with BIDA) from Carnegie Mellon is mostly focused on IT Professionals (confirmed from their employment stats). Same seems to be case with other programs.

I am looking for Big Data programs for people like me who have business degrees in undergrad (with some maths off course but not computer science or status majors), any help is much appreciated :)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Anyone applying to any Analytics/Big Data programs? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 12:26
Please understand that Data Anlaytics is a very technical field. Intact NYU MS in Data Science says that they prefer undergraduates in Computer Science and Statistics. So my inference is that a Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering is not their ideal candidate. So to sustain long term in this field deep technical knowledge is needed. Many CS department offer specialization in Data Analytics.

Posted from my mobile device Image

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

Re: Anyone applying to any Analytics/Big Data programs? [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 00:16
You might want to look up the Masters in Business Analytics and Big Data at IE university.

IMHO, the curriculum seems to have a lot of emphasis on practical application which is useful. They've got tie ups with IBM and BBVA for the program if i'm not mistaken.
Re: Anyone applying to any Analytics/Big Data programs?   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2014, 00:16