Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

anyone below 700 accepted at Chicago?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
anyone below 700 accepted at Chicago? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2006, 15:59
Or other top 10 schools?

So many ppl with 730+ are eitherwaitlisted or dinged..

anyone heard from any other forums?

pehilu - maybe you are right, maybe you are not.. if many ppl with 730+ dont get in.. does it mean 730 is not enough?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2006, 16:26
Well, actually I don't think the simple answer is "700 or 730 is not enough". People will undoubtadly get in with lower scores, but I believe the truth is that it is extremely difficult to distinguish yourself through essays. The statement that you see all the time, which I find really naive, is "you scored XXX which puts you in range, now just go and write some awesome essays!" Essays are similar to the GMAT in that some people will inherently be more capable, and others will not be able to produce top-notch results no matter how hard they work at it. We don't believe that everyone can score in the 90th, 95th or 99th percentile on the GMAT; we also shouldn't believe that everyone can produce elite level essays.

Distinguishing yourself through stellar essays is made even more difficult because 1) each person is limited by material from their own past, and 2) there's no guarantee that whoever reads your essay will find it to be a masterpiece, even if it is one. Let's look at these two points for a second.

Point #1: Some people have interesting things in their past to talk about, and some people don't. Even if you are the best essay writer in the world, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. The best applicants will be talking about club leadership experiences at top universities, excellent work experiences with big name firms and extracurriculars activities and community service that will knock your socks off. If you don't have these things in your background, all the hard work in the world will not make them magically appear in your background and there's just nothing you can do about it within a few months.

Point #2: As has been discussed before, you have no idea who will read your essays. If the person is tired, or bored, or doesn't like your writing style, that's just tough luck. The same goes for recommendations and interviews - it's just ridiculous to assume that yours will be among the very best given all the variables involved. As far as work experience, unless you have something that is truly distinguishing or well known, one person's puffery will sound just like the 30 others that the reader will see that day.

On the other hand, 50 points more on the GMAT is right there in black and white. Even if it takes a lot of hard work, if you can improve by 30 or 50 or more points, I would say that it is worth the effort. I have never suggested that people concentrate on the GMAT at the expense of other aspects of the application; but I think it is a poor assumption that people will produce substantially better essays if they have more time to work on them. I have been involved with academic and professional writing at many levels, and I definitely believe that most people will not continue to improve their essays after a given amount of work has been put in. Certainly you need to put in the hours of self-reflection, and drafting and re-writing; but at some point another 50-100 hours of work is not going to result in an improved product. If another 50-100 hours of work will improve your GMAT by 50 points, then that is a hard result you can carry with you. The GMAT is the only thing you really have full control over at this point.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2006, 19:59
I know someone with 690 who got in. I'm sure there are some with lower GMAT scores but it is surely compensated with other aspects of their applications.

Best Regards,

Paul

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2006, 20:32
Admissions411 shows admits below 700.... so yes, people did.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2006, 03:53
Quote:
Admissions411 shows admits below 700.... so yes, people did

I know a 690 Indian applicant who got in. However he was the top 3 in his class in his undergrad.
I think in the top schools they care too much about your GPA.It seems a not so stellar GMAT can be compensated by a very high GPA but not vica versa.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2006, 04:09
imjimmy wrote:
Quote:

I know a 690 Indian applicant who got in. However he was the top 3 in his class in his undergrad.
I think in the top schools they care too much about your GPA.It seems a not so stellar GMAT can be compensated by a very high GPA but not vica versa.

/me 3.0 GPA, 730 GMAT

It's hard to extrapolate a rule like yours ....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2006, 05:04
I hope so! 680, 3.5
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2006, 13:55
Admissions411 lists alot of people waitlisted (actually, I don't know what to expect). At the moment there are as many waitlists as admits.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2006, 19:36
The waitlist thing was to be expected. I went to an information session in September and the Admission Rep. all but told us that they would be relying heavily on the wait list. I at least like that they allow more info and use the waitlist well.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 17:50
I am 700 and 3.7 Engineering GPA(that too from best college in India, IIT)

Applying to Cornell, Columbia, MIT in top schools (Focusing my strength in future entrpreneurship roles)

Also to Yale, NYU

Still finishing appplications
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 17:52
lhmcjen wrote:
The waitlist thing was to be expected. I went to an information session in September and the Admission Rep. all but told us that they would be relying heavily on the wait list. I at least like that they allow more info and use the waitlist well.

GSB told you this? Interesting.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2007, 07:13
imjimmy wrote:
Quote:

I have a colleague from College who got 660 in he GMAT and is finishing Stanford right now. He was the 2nd best from my class and had lots of international academic experience.

In other hands for MIT I have 3 friends who got in and all of them had at least 710. But they told me (they are from different classes) that they got to know people with under 700 GMAT there. In my opinion MIT and Stanford are the hardest ones.

But everybody keeps telling me to keep in mind that GMAT is one of the things schools are looking at. And I have one friend applying this year with 630, who got already 5 interviews (he applied for 7 schools, all of them top 15 in US).
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2007, 08:00
kwam wrote:
imjimmy wrote:
Quote:

I have a colleague from College who got 660 in he GMAT and is finishing Stanford right now. He was the 2nd best from my class and had lots of international academic experience.

In other hands for MIT I have 3 friends who got in and all of them had at least 710. But they told me (they are from different classes) that they got to know people with under 700 GMAT there. In my opinion MIT and Stanford are the hardest ones.

But everybody keeps telling me to keep in mind that GMAT is one of the things schools are looking at. And I have one friend applying this year with 630, who got already 5 interviews (he applied for 7 schools, all of them top 15 in US).

Yeah, I guess it seems like a stellar GPA can compensate for a <700 GMAT. However whether a 750+ GMAT does compensate for a low GPA(3.0 or lower) is debatable, atleast for the top schools. I know 2 people with 750+(with avg/sub-par grades) who were dinged by Chicago, but both were internationals. So maybe the US schools expect better grades from outsiders.
Furthermore, i don't think the Top schools are chasing GMAT scores. They would want all-round profiles with a solid academic record and excellent work experience.
  [#permalink] 11 Jan 2007, 08:00