Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Admissions411 shows admits below 700.... so yes, people did.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Admissions411 shows admits below 700.... so yes, people did

I know a 690 Indian applicant who got in. However he was the top 3 in his class in his undergrad.
I think in the top schools they care too much about your GPA.It seems a not so stellar GMAT can be compensated by a very high GPA but not vica versa.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
imjimmy wrote:
Quote:

I know a 690 Indian applicant who got in. However he was the top 3 in his class in his undergrad.
I think in the top schools they care too much about your GPA.It seems a not so stellar GMAT can be compensated by a very high GPA but not vica versa.

/me 3.0 GPA, 730 GMAT

It's hard to extrapolate a rule like yours ....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I hope so! 680, 3.5
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Admissions411 lists alot of people waitlisted (actually, I don't know what to expect). At the moment there are as many waitlists as admits.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The waitlist thing was to be expected. I went to an information session in September and the Admission Rep. all but told us that they would be relying heavily on the wait list. I at least like that they allow more info and use the waitlist well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am 700 and 3.7 Engineering GPA(that too from best college in India, IIT)

Applying to Cornell, Columbia, MIT in top schools (Focusing my strength in future entrpreneurship roles)

Also to Yale, NYU

Still finishing appplications
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhmcjen wrote:
The waitlist thing was to be expected. I went to an information session in September and the Admission Rep. all but told us that they would be relying heavily on the wait list. I at least like that they allow more info and use the waitlist well.

GSB told you this? Interesting.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
imjimmy wrote:
Quote:

I have a colleague from College who got 660 in he GMAT and is finishing Stanford right now. He was the 2nd best from my class and had lots of international academic experience.

In other hands for MIT I have 3 friends who got in and all of them had at least 710. But they told me (they are from different classes) that they got to know people with under 700 GMAT there. In my opinion MIT and Stanford are the hardest ones.

But everybody keeps telling me to keep in mind that GMAT is one of the things schools are looking at. And I have one friend applying this year with 630, who got already 5 interviews (he applied for 7 schools, all of them top 15 in US).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kwam wrote:
imjimmy wrote:
Quote:

I have a colleague from College who got 660 in he GMAT and is finishing Stanford right now. He was the 2nd best from my class and had lots of international academic experience.

In other hands for MIT I have 3 friends who got in and all of them had at least 710. But they told me (they are from different classes) that they got to know people with under 700 GMAT there. In my opinion MIT and Stanford are the hardest ones.

But everybody keeps telling me to keep in mind that GMAT is one of the things schools are looking at. And I have one friend applying this year with 630, who got already 5 interviews (he applied for 7 schools, all of them top 15 in US).

Yeah, I guess it seems like a stellar GPA can compensate for a <700 GMAT. However whether a 750+ GMAT does compensate for a low GPA(3.0 or lower) is debatable, atleast for the top schools. I know 2 people with 750+(with avg/sub-par grades) who were dinged by Chicago, but both were internationals. So maybe the US schools expect better grades from outsiders.
Furthermore, i don't think the Top schools are chasing GMAT scores. They would want all-round profiles with a solid academic record and excellent work experience.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]