Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anyone concerned about having their profile on LinkedIn?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

Anyone concerned about having their profile on LinkedIn? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2007, 19:48
Dukes actually raised this point in the thread about that Chicago admit who broke in to change his grades. Are people concerned about the personal and professional information in their LinkedIn profiles that is readily available to just about anyone? I don't have a Facebook or Myspace account, but I recently added my profile to LinkedIn in response to a request from a college buddy. Within a day of adding my profile, I received several requests from other "linked" members asking me to add them. Now I'm having second thoughts about having my info just out there, but I can't really articulate why I should be concerned. Any thoughts?
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Anyone concerned about having their profile on LinkedIn? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2007, 20:11
pelihu wrote:
Dukes actually raised this point in the thread about that Chicago admit who broke in to change his grades. Are people concerned about the personal and professional information in their LinkedIn profiles that is readily available to just about anyone? I don't have a Facebook or Myspace account, but I recently added my profile to LinkedIn in response to a request from a college buddy. Within a day of adding my profile, I received several requests from other "linked" members asking me to add them. Now I'm having second thoughts about having my info just out there, but I can't really articulate why I should be concerned. Any thoughts?

I think LinkedIn is okay. Just make sure not to make your profile public. The only people who can see your info then are your contacts and their contacts. I also don't get too detailed with the info I have on there - just the basics. Also, there are people who invite anyone who they shared a school or company with. I usually "ding" people if I've never met them or just met them in passing.

I'm more worried about my Doostang profile which everyone on that site can see. During the b-school application process I also deleted my profiles from some of the social networking sites.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2007, 20:12
Well, you can show as little as only your name in your public profile. I found my confort level at showing a very brief outline of my experience and interests. But I guess each one of us needs to find his or her own confort level and learn from experience.

In my case, the only unwanted contacts I've had has been from Vista, trying to recruit me as a part time consultant and from a random guy whom I chose to ignore.

I think it's like when browsing the Internet: if you set up your security settings too high, you won't be able to browse at all, if you set them too low, you will be hijacked by spyware and viruses.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2007, 02:50
I have accounts on several sites, I never even go on linkedin though and have never really built much of a profile. I have had a myspace account for years. I got invited by a cousin who went to school with Tom, the founder, when it first started. During my research for schools I looked up profiles of current students and alumni from schools I was interested in. Amazingly most of the profiles I would describe as very unprofessional and pretty much stereotypical frat boyish in their content.

I do have a friend who works in HR for a major company and they do check people out on myspace since it can be much more telling than an interview. So with that knowledge I wouldn't put anything on there you wouldn't show your boss or your mom without being embarrassed.

I keep mine since its a great way to get back in touch with people and stay in touch. I have reconnected with people I went to high school with and haven't talked to in a decade. One of my friends actually met back up with his first childhood girlfriend and they are married now. So it has its good points but then again I am not going to post pictures of myself doing something compromising to be funny and I would write anything about myself that I wouldnt tell other people. I dont add people I dont know or that I wouldnt want to know. I delete comments that are in poor taste. Its what you make of it, in reality a Linkedin account could be a usefull tool in school to maintain a network and connect with alumni.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 07:46
I really like LinkedIn, but made sure to keep the profile private. There's just too much down side to putting that much information out for public viewing. All of my contacts and their contacts can view it though, which is fine. It's already been helpful, because I found Chicago headhunters for my wife through some of the contacts in there.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2007, 14:58
Nope, not too comfortable either with how the internet has become the new personal white pages. I prefer to remain unlisted.
  [#permalink] 02 Jul 2007, 14:58