Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anyone else passionate about Philanthropy/Non-Profit?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Anyone else passionate about Philanthropy/Non-Profit? [#permalink] New post 29 May 2006, 19:03
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone else in this forum is interested in the topic of Venture Philanthropy, Social Ventures, Corporate Social Responsibility, Microfinance...etc.

The main reason for me wanting to get an MBA is to be a 'social entrepreneur'. I know that may be against the radical norm since MBA is more synonymous with making lots of $$!! Well, I want to make money as well but more importantly to use my abilities towards helping corporations and philanthropists to develop sustainable communities as well as successfully contribute to their bottom line.

I’m especially intrigued by what Google has done recently with the launch of Google.org. It has a pretty neat vision… that one day, this philanthropic venture will surpass Google itself in terms of the global impact it makes.

Anyways, if anyone else shares similar interests, I’d love to hear from you, which school/programs you are applying to, career goals post-MBA…etc. I haven’t read any posts in this area so I’m not sure what kind of response it’ll get but oh well… here goes… :)

Cheers,
jjhko
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Yep, I'll be poor by choice too [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2006, 08:29
jjhko,

Not one reply before this in 3 months? Shame on you GMATClub people for avoiding this one...

I'm currently based in Indonesia, and am looking to do my MBA specifically to enhance my effectiveness as emergency coordinator/programme development for an international NGO. I used to be a geologist, but changed career after the tsunami and never looked back. My intention is to start my own emergency response NGO one day, using the best people that I have met on the ground, which is more difficult thatn you might imagine - there is so much more flotsam in the charity world than even the business world, but there are some true diamonds as well.

Unfortunately, charities are notoriously cheap when it comes to paying for these (or any other) sorts of things, so I'll probably have to fund my study myself. I'm thinking of U21 Global online MBA, as it's cheap (<$10,000) and would mean that I have the flexibility I need for my job. As you can imagine, with all the emergencies we have been having in Indonesia recently, I really REALLY need that.

Does anyone have anything to say about the U21 course? (Or, more to the point, will anyone else look into this post?)

Regards,

Keith
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2006, 14:57
I just came back from a leadership conference where Bono was one of the speakers.

I was renewed in my passion to make a difference to erradicate 'stupid poverty' in our life time :)
  [#permalink] 11 Aug 2006, 14:57