Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anyone experience flucuation? :-(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 76320

Anyone experience flucuation? :-( [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 14:39
I'm kind of bummed, trying to find some moral support. I got a 680 last weekend on a GMATPrep 1 CAT, and was pretty excited that I was finally nearing the 700 range (at least much closer than my former high 500s from a couple months ago), but my test I took yesterday, PR CAT, I received a 650, and today a GMATPrep 2 test, a 630. I know practice makes perfect and I just need to get it together, but talk about a letdown!

Reviewing my math questions, I found that about half were stupid mistakes, mis-reading problems, and half were out of my conceptual understanding so I am making note cards once I figure out the answers.

Anyway - please tell me someone out there experienced this kind of flucuation but with hard work was able to meet their goal! I am not one of those natural test takers, I have to keep at it to see improvement considering my first GMAT test I have ever taken was a measley 540. But it's hard not to feel so defeated when I feel that I have been trying so hard.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anyone experience flucuation? :-( [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 15:21
I'm sure many posters here would agree they have had moments of non-peak performance. Even the most talented athletes have off days. The key is to ensure you just take what you need from it and move on. You know you are performing at a higher level, so why dwell on a couple lower scores?

A few weeks ago, I was really feeling like I was starting to "get" all this stuff. My practice test scores were climbing, my hit %s were increasing, and all was right in my GMAT world. One morning, I decided to take a GMAT focus exam, and the results were disappointing. I came on here asking other posters similar questions to those you are asking in this thread. After a bit, I moved on and started focusing on my studies again. My test scores are even higher than before.

I'm not sure if you play golf, but it serves as a perfect example. When you miss a putt, do you think about it all round? No, you move on to the next hole and win the match. Keep up the good work...you'll be just fine.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Anyone experience flucuation? :-( [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 18:28
Since half of the mistakes were "silly" ones, take a look at the kinds of mistakes they are. Are you rushing? Answering too quickly on questions where the answer seems obvious, but there's a trap built in? Slow yourself down enough to be sure what the question is asking for, and that the answer isn't way too easy -- that's usually a sign that it's a trap.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anyone experience flucuation? :-( [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 21:01
Agreed with everyone else's advice. Also the PR CAT is not the most accurate.

I took an MGMAT CAT last week and got a 690, and then a PR with a 650. On the PR with 650, I actually had far less questions wrong and I believe their scoring algorithm isn't up to par.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 76320

Re: Anyone experience flucuation? :-( [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 17:24
Thanks so much everyone. I jumped back on the bandwagon today and made a more thorough error log and am just going to figure out where my real weaknesses are with my past problems I've gotten wrong. I feel much better and more in control. At this point I feel more determined - if other people can do it there's no reason why I won't be able to.

Thanks for the support!
Julia
Re: Anyone experience flucuation? :-(   [#permalink] 19 May 2008, 17:24