Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anyone heard back from Baruch? May 31 deadline

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Anyone heard back from Baruch? May 31 deadline [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 18:19
I'm dying to hear back. I know it's only been a few and a half, but I'd like to solidify arrangements. Anyone hear yet?
Intern
Intern

Re: Anyone heard back from Baruch? May 31 deadline [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 19:59
Nevermind. Heard back today. I was accepted! Took long enough haha.
Intern
Intern

Re: Anyone heard back from Baruch? May 31 deadline [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 17:42
Really? Two scandals in the past month...you sure want to be in baruch?

just google and u will find out. both scandals happened in its master programs, 1 in mba and 1 in msa...i have to give myself another option beyond baruch, and so should u.
Intern
Intern

Re: Anyone heard back from Baruch? May 31 deadline [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 10:27
Fc733 wrote:

just google and u will find out. both scandals happened in its master programs, 1 in mba and 1 in msa...i have to give myself another option beyond baruch, and so should u.

I thought I read that it was only the executive MBA program that was involved. I'm pretty sure that's the case. I don't think the MSA program's reputation should take a hit from the situation.

Baruch's access to resources due to being in NYC is incredible and I don't want to pass up that opportunity.
Intern
Intern

Re: Anyone heard back from Baruch? May 31 deadline [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 17:48
cpa2141 wrote:
Fc733 wrote:

I thought I read that it was only the executive MBA program that was involved. I'm pretty sure that's the case. I don't think the MSA program's reputation should take a hit from the situation.

Baruch's access to resources due to being in NYC is incredible and I don't want to pass up that opportunity.

The EMBA scandal was about two months ago, but what came into my mind bigger, perhaps also to yours, was the accounting department group cheating which exposed two weeks ago. 4 students sued zicklin business school for unfair dismission and cheating assistance. They even named few professors who were part of the scandal. From that news, more exposed were that some master programs of the school had been taken and managed under the CUNY system, meaning that the several master programs people thought were baruch's were actually not baruch's, such as MBA-if i remember right.

Regarding baruch's reputation, there are a lot talks. Originally I respected baruch probably as you do now. But the real truth is baruch's overall ranking isn't always that high. I know in 2010, its accounting msa ranked at roughtly 20th. What about that of 2011 and 2012? I didn't see baruch's name in the 2012 list actually. And also according to many poll and study, baruch usually shares the similar graduate salaries, similar overall ranking and not-so-distinct hiring rate after graduation with other schools, such as St. John' Tubin, Pace's Lubin and Forham-all three in new york city area. My friend told me that Hofstra's business school was also an equal choice.

Let me tell you one thing, and lets see whether baruch is overestimated: I know at least one of the Big Four has established a scholarship in Pace, not in baruch. The scholarship is for pace undergraduate and graduate school students only, not for its employees from that school. Well, I dont know the real 100% situation in baruch (my friend told me there was only few in baruch and he didn't even want to remember). I am not trying to say baruch is bad or whatever. Instead, my point is baruch is an average school. If you have your attention on baruch, maybe you should also have much on other nyc schools.

I hear that, in the recent years, there are many "great" news about baruch. The prime reason I think people like baruch is its low tuition. In sum, my opinion is graduate school is a life choice, tuition should not become one of the main packages to weigh. I have alreayd cleaned baruch from my list because I dont want my degree associated with any potential cheating affairs or backgrounds, and it will definitely happen if baruch fails that lawsuit.
Intern
Intern

Re: Anyone heard back from Baruch? May 31 deadline [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 07:04
Fc733 wrote:
cpa2141 wrote:
Fc733 wrote:

The EMBA scandal was about two months ago, but what came into my mind bigger, perhaps also to yours, was the accounting department group cheating which exposed two weeks ago. 4 students sued zicklin business school for unfair dismission and cheating assistance. They even named few professors who were part of the scandal. From that news, more exposed were that some master programs of the school had been taken and managed under the CUNY system, meaning that the several master programs people thought were baruch's were actually not baruch's, such as MBA-if i remember right.

Regarding baruch's reputation, there are a lot talks. Originally I respected baruch probably as you do now. But the real truth is baruch's overall ranking isn't always that high. I know in 2010, its accounting msa ranked at roughtly 20th. What about that of 2011 and 2012? I didn't see baruch's name in the 2012 list actually. And also according to many poll and study, baruch usually shares the similar graduate salaries, similar overall ranking and not-so-distinct hiring rate after graduation with other schools, such as St. John' Tubin, Pace's Lubin and Forham-all three in new york city area. My friend told me that Hofstra's business school was also an equal choice.

Let me tell you one thing, and lets see whether baruch is overestimated: I know at least one of the Big Four has established a scholarship in Pace, not in baruch. The scholarship is for pace undergraduate and graduate school students only, not for its employees from that school. Well, I dont know the real 100% situation in baruch (my friend told me there was only few in baruch and he didn't even want to remember). I am not trying to say baruch is bad or whatever. Instead, my point is baruch is an average school. If you have your attention on baruch, maybe you should also have much on other nyc schools.

I hear that, in the recent years, there are many "great" news about baruch. The prime reason I think people like baruch is its low tuition. In sum, my opinion is graduate school is a life choice, tuition should not become one of the main packages to weigh. I have alreayd cleaned baruch from my list because I dont want my degree associated with any potential cheating affairs or backgrounds, and it will definitely happen if baruch fails that lawsuit.

I'd like to see stats that show that St. John's, Pace, Fordham, and Hofstra accounting majors have the same placement in Big 4 and National firms. None of those programs has the distinction that Baruch's accounting program has.

Also, for a lot of people, tuition is one of the main factors. Why would I pay 5x the tuition to go to UT when I can pay less than 10k to most likely end up in the same place working for a Big 4 firm in NYC after attending Baruch? I'll be paying in-state tuition. I was also accepted to Texas A&M but simply cannot turn down Baruch's steal of a price providing one of the best accounting programs and access to the greatest city in the world.
Intern
Intern

Re: Anyone heard back from Baruch? May 31 deadline [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 11:10
cpa2141 -congrats for your entry to Baruch. From whatever research I've done on B-schools I think Baruch really ranks behind NYU, Columbia in NYC well ahead of all these other schools when it comes to business education. I myself have been keen on getting into the MBA program this Fall -just missed the deadline. I am considering going in for the Spring intake. Would appreciate your thoughts/knowledge about the school, street value etc etc from your personal experience as you being an instate fella would know it more thoroughly than someone out of state like myself.

Cheers
Re: Anyone heard back from Baruch? May 31 deadline   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2012, 11:10