Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Apart from having more permanent employees than PreX, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Apart from having more permanent employees than PreX, the [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 09:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

21% (01:58) correct 79% (00:45) wrong based on 142 sessions
Apart from having more permanent employees than PreX, the employees in UpskirT are higher educated than those in PreX, with more graduate students.
A. the employees in UpskirT are higher educated than those in
B. UpskirT has higher educated employees than those do
C. the employees in UpskirT are higher educated than those are in
D. UpskirT employees are higher educated that those are in
E. UpskirT has higher educated employees than
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 468

Kudos [?]: 1846 [2] , given: 29

Re: Comparison [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ranjeet75 wrote:
Apart from having more permanent employees than PreX, the employees in UpskirT are higher educated than those in PreX, with more graduate students.

I don't know the source, but there are a number of problems with this sentence.

Problem #1: the phrase "higher educated" is grammatically and idiomatically incorrect. What the author is trying to say is "more highly educated" or simply "better educated".

Problem #2: in (B), the OA, at the very end, the verb "do" (plural) is used for PreX, the name of a company. This is actually a classic GMAT agreement mistake ---- a collective noun, such as the name of a company, is singular and must take a singular verb. Thus, "PreX does ABC" would be correct, and "PreX do ABC" is completely incorrect. Whoever wrote this question fell into this very popular SC trap.

Problem #3: The phrase "apart from having X" is very informal, far too colloquial to appear on the GMAT. The GMAT would set up the contrast in a much more sophisticated way.

This question needs some serious work before it would be a helpful practice question for folks studying for the GMAT.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1096 [0], given: 118

Re: Comparison [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 14:19
mikemcgarry wrote:
ranjeet75 wrote:

Problem #1: the phrase "higher educated" is grammatically and idiomatically incorrect. What the author is trying to say is "more highly educated" or simply "better educated".

Problem #2: in (B), the OA, at the very end, the verb "do" (plural) is used for PreX, the name of a company. This is actually a classic GMAT agreement mistake ---- a collective noun, such as the name of a company, is singular and must take a singular verb. Thus, "PreX does ABC" would be correct, and "PreX do ABC" is completely incorrect. Whoever wrote this question fell into this very popular SC trap.

Problem #3: The phrase "apart from having X" is very informal, far too colloquial to appear on the GMAT. The GMAT would set up the contrast in a much more sophisticated way.

This question needs some serious work before it would be a helpful practice question for folks studying for the GMAT.

@Mike
Thanks so much for clearing my doubt. I eliminate B because of "do", and also "those" is not clear in B, but it's the OA. Poor written question.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 28

Re: Comparison [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 19:13
mikemcgarry wrote:
ranjeet75 wrote:

Hi Mike,

If not for the 'better educated' problem cant we choose option E... this doesn't have 'do' and plus we are comparing UpskirT with PreX right??? no need for a verb here
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1846 [0], given: 29

Re: Comparison [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 08:15
Expert's post
aditya111 wrote:
Hi Mike,
If not for the 'better educated' problem cant we choose option E... this doesn't have 'do' and plus we are comparing UpskirT with PreX right??? no need for a verb here

With a verb after the word "than", ambiguity arises --- is the word after "than" in parallel with the subject or the object? In other words,

"A has more X than B"
Does this means
(1) A has more X than B has X?
(2) A has more X than A has B?
It's true, from logic, we can figure out that PreX should be in parallel to the other company, UpskirT, but from the GMAT's point of view, if the grammar itself is unclear, and we need to resort to logic to resolve a grammatical ambiguity, then that's a poorly written sentence. In a well-written sentence, grammar and logic say that same thing.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Apart from having more permanent employees than PreX, the [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 14:27
Could some mod please correct this question? There's seems to be something wrong particullarly in answer choice B

Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 240

CAT Tests
Re: Apart from having more permanent employees than PreX, the [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 08:22
mikemcgarry wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
Could some mod please correct this question? There's seems to be something wrong particullarly in answer choice B
Thanks! Cheers J :)

Dear jlgdr,
What appears to be amiss with this question? I didn't see any problem.

Hi Mike,
In this question, apart from questionable OA, "higher" doesn't sound right. "more" is more suitable. Can you please clarify?

And I guess as per logic, we can arrive at an Option E) Can you please highlight any other issue with Option E) ?

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1846 [0], given: 29

Re: Apart from having more permanent employees than PreX, the [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 12:15
Expert's post
kinjiGC wrote:
Hi Mike,
In this question, apart from questionable OA, "higher" doesn't sound right. "more" is more suitable. Can you please clarify?

And I guess as per logic, we can arrive at an Option E) Can you please highlight any other issue with Option E) ?

Dear kinjiGC,
Yes, I see your point. I think what they are trying to say is "more highly educated" or "better educated."

Option (E) makes the classic subjective/objective comparison mistake.
UpskirT has higher educated employees than PreX
We know they are trying to compare company to company, but the construction suggests that they are comparing individual employees to a whole company. If logic tells us one thing, and grammar indicates another, then it's not a well-written sentence.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Apart from having more permanent employees than PreX, the [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2014, 16:06
mikemcgarry wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
Hi Mike,

Dear kinjiGC,
Yes, I see your point. I think what they are trying to say is "more highly educated" or "better educated."

We know they are trying to compare company to company, but the construction suggests that they are comparing individual employees to a whole company. If logic tells us one thing, and grammar indicates another, then it's not a well-written sentence.

Does this make sense?

But if we say 'Stacy eats apples quicker than Alex' ? Isn't that okay? And if it is, then why can't the one above be?

CAT1-520 (GMAT CLUB)
CAT2-620 (MGMAT 1)
CAT3-630 (KAPLAN)
CAT4-680 (MGMAT 2)
CAT5-710 (VERITAS 1)
CAT6-680 (MGMAT 3)
CAT7-720 (VERITAS 2)
CAT8-730 (VERITAS 3)
... Lets see how far can i stretch it up to.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Apart from having more permanent employees than PreX, the [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 01:53
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
Hi Mike,

Dear kinjiGC,

Does this make sense?

But if we say 'Stacy eats apples quicker than Alex' ? Isn't that okay? And if it is, then why can't the one above be?

Agree with this reasoning. Mike so how come the above sentence ( Stacy ...... Alex) is correct but the option E is not ??
Re: Apart from having more permanent employees than PreX, the   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2014, 01:53