Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

App to UCLA and Duke, what are my odds?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

App to UCLA and Duke, what are my odds? [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 14:03
Profile: The problem with my app that is most concerning is that I am unemployed (my last role was a contract) and currently job hunting. I have good recommmenders from my job in NYC (laid off during downsize even though I was a strong performer) and my career vision is to run my own FoHF with an emphasis in socially responsible investing. Thanks for your thoughts, both supportive and critical.

Program: MBA FT
Area of interest in MBA: Investment Management/ Fund of Funds/Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT: 710, Q44 (70%), V42 (95%) AWA: 4.0
GPA: 3.1, Economics, Small Private College in NE
Work experience(WE): 2 years - 1.5 at fund of funds in NYC and .5 at fund of funds in Pacific Northwest
Nationality: American/Caucasian
Extra-curriculars/community: Sports in college, active in student govt and economics society, Study group organizer for CFA since graduation (passed lvl 1), and running club member

Schools applied to:

School 1: Duke Fuqua (R2)

School 2: UCLA Anderson R2
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: App to UCLA and Duke, what are my odds? [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 01:06
Hmm I feel your pain! Or at least some of it. Am in a funny place because I have some regular contract gigs going and have rebranded myself as a freelance writer but am afraid that schools will not "get" that. My overall work experience could be written off as unsubstantial (summer internship, 1 yr essentially full time work for a church while working part time for 7 months as a marketing assistant, 1 yr working full time as a media coordinator for a small startup, over half a year of not working too much besides on and off freelance and tutoring, half a year of consistent freelancing).

What kind of job was your last contract gig and for how long?

I'm no expert, but my initial reaction to your profile is that it has more questionable points than areas where you stand out in a positive way. I don't know the average scores and gpa of those schools off the top of my head, but I would venture to say that your gpa is on the low end and your GMAT score not great enough to offset your gpa and job dilemma.

BUT I am a strong believer that things don't always follow logic! I am hoping for a miracle myself ;)

Do you have any way to spin or explain your gpa? Upward trend?

Good luck, my friend!
Re: App to UCLA and Duke, what are my odds?   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2010, 01:06