Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9427 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 15:12
Expert's post
By the way, can we make an app so that you could import your own questions? (for yourself only of course)

What I am thinking is enable people to import their own questions from any source for example questions that they have purchased or ones they keep making mistakes in but just can't get on the iPhone? This way we stay out of the whole copyright issue that I am not a fan of and give all the control into user's hands....

We can publish the schema or format for entering questions and let them have at it.... they can even invent their own.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 15:26
This is exactly what I was trying to suggest in my next post!

However, the problem is that many users might struggle to upload questions in a format that the app can understand.
That is why! - we need to build an app so that it definitely works on multiple sources.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 15:37
Expert's post
Quote:
This is exactly what I was trying to suggest in my next post!

Yeah, sure :wink:

Quote:
However, the problem is that many users might struggle to upload questions in a format that the app can understand.

I think we can make a very simple format - similar to what we use on this forum - anyone can figure it out - even an MBA. This will enable people to compliment GMAT Club's tests. However, I don't think we know if it is possible even at this stage.

Quote:
That is why! - we need to build an app so that it definitely works on multiple sources.

I would argue for the sake of product life (you never know what new prep materials will be out in a few months) and copyright issues that we should keep the app open ended as to where users have ability to control what they put on it in addition to GMAT Club's test. So, I would see this feature as complimenting our tests and making the app more versatile.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1851 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 20:58
Expert's post
terp26 wrote:
Why not have a paid version and a free version.

I'm absolutely agree with you and am a strong supporter of paid-approach. It is a great that I want to spend some of my free time to help GMATClub but I'm not a professional software developer and too complicate app will take a lot of time for me to finish. Moreover, in a long-run, I believe income from GMATClub app has to be enough to hire a smart developer(s) who could enforce improvement of the app. So, If I were GMATClub owner, I would consider paid approach as a basis for future development of a strong product.

bb wrote:
there could be a continue button that will give a similar type question

good idea.

bb wrote:
Why two different versions? I can understand from a developer perspective it is easier to develop, but why from a user standpoint?

I agree.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 21:04
Expert's post
Sure paid version makes sense to get developers put bells and whistles, but only after we squeeze everything out of Walker :)
No need to be modest.

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 21:06
Expert's post
bb wrote:
Sure paid version makes sense to get developers put bells and whistles, but only after we squeeze everything out of Walker :)
No need to be modest.

:lol:

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2009, 09:40
Expert's post
Speaking of which, looks like Veritas Released their Apple iPhone application today: http://appshopper.com/education/gmat-practice-quiz

Perhaps someone can share what they think about the app and provide suggestions for improvement. I promise - I will buy an iPod soon :oops:

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2009, 10:39
Expert's post
I think there will be many such apps in near future but there are a huge barrier for their development: they must not substitute real 1000$-worth education in prep-centers.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2009, 12:25
Why dont we develop App for both Blackberry and iPhone? I guess many people studying GMAT use Blackberry (I'm one of them :wink: )
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2009, 12:31
Expert's post
lexis wrote:
Why dont we develop App for both Blackberry and iPhone? I guess many people studying GMAT use Blackberry (I'm one of them :wink: )

Me too, but I think Blackberry is harder to develop for.... Walker, do you have any ideas about Blackberry? How easy/hard is it to develop?

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2009, 12:49
Expert's post
bb wrote:
lexis wrote:

Me too, but I think Blackberry is harder to develop for.... Walker, do you have any ideas about Blackberry? How easy/hard is it to develop?

I'm not familiar with Blackberry as I have never seen Blackberry here in my country. Nevertheless, if GMATClub iPhone projects and my own ones are successful and RIM launches own AppStore (I've already taken a look at their site a few days ago and seen they are going to launch it in near future), I don't see any solid reasons why not to try.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 0

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2009, 16:06
This post received
KUDOS
The list is endless.... windows mobile, palm *, blackberry, iphone.
The major market is probably going to be iphone and windows mobile.
As long as it works on these 2 , it will have a large potential base.

The features listed in the thread are great. I can think of the following which
might be helpful and add value compared to existing s/w:

* Questions and theory sorted by area. The GMAT club tests and verbal cover
a large number of questions, which could be sorted and used as initial data.
(e.g. In Quant: Number theory/Geometry/Inequalities! /Probablity etc)
( e,g. In verbal: tense/subj-verb/pronouns/etc).
* Ability to make/add note similar to an editable error log/tracker.
* Adding a level to question would be awesome.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 18:37
This post received
KUDOS
I think the biggest issue with a GMAT app for quant problems is that it is not convenient to do scratch work. You cannot solve most math questions without writing things down, and that is hard to do if you are using it on the go.

Therefore I feel that this application would be of limited utility.

However, focusing on sentence correction can lead to an extremely useful app. Sentence correction are extremely well suited for learning on the go, without the need to write things down. But sentence correction is probably the hardest thing to create content for, with only Manhattan GMAT creating good material there.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 02:07
Expert's post
dataman85 wrote:
I think the biggest issue with a GMAT app for quant problems is that it is not convenient to do scratch work. You cannot solve most math questions without writing things down, and that is hard to do if you are using it on the go.

Yeah. It is a problem I have been thinking for a while how to overcome it. I see two possible solutions: 1) development of adapted quantitative questions that test GMAT concepts but don't require scratch work; 2) turn iPhone into scratch paper. Both approaches are not easy ones but it is definitely a problem we have to keep in mind.

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 03:22
Expert's post
A few minutes ago application's prototype has been launched on my iPhone for the first time and it works as expected. So, we are close to finish line....

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 04:36
Nice..I assume this works for an iPod Touch also?
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 08:20
Expert's post
spgny wrote:

Yeah, it works for Touch also.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 19:35
walker wrote:
spgny wrote:

This is really great idea. How about Blackberry?

Sorry if it is already discussed. I have not gone through aall posts. :oops:

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 20:49
Expert's post
GMAT TIGER wrote:
walker wrote:
spgny wrote:

Sorry i f it is already discussed. I have not gone through aall posts. :oops:

I am a BB user myself and I think many others are too, so that would be next logical step. BB has just launched thier own APP store yesterday, so will take a while to figure out all the details. The question is though how much time Walker has.

Founder of GMAT Club

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2009, 11:19
bb wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
walker wrote:

Sorry i f it is already discussed. I have not gone through aall posts. :oops:

I am a BB user myself and I think many others are too, so that would be next logical step. BB has just launched thier own APP store yesterday, so will take a while to figure out all the details. The question is though how much time Walker has.

bb on BB - lol. :wink:

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Re: Apple iPhone GMAT application for GMAT Club   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2009, 11:19