Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Applicants for Masters in Finance program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: LBS
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 16:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I have seen this forum for a while now, although I just made an account and decided to post and before I go rambling on, I doubt many of you would have heard of it, but its the best in Pk we have. Anyway I am trying to get in a good MS Finance program as I am graduating this year but then as it turns out I am not going this year but next year, so the one place I had applied and admitted, Tulane's MFin program, I have deferred for Summer 2009. Now the question I have for all the big wigs on this forum to help me out is: Since I have an year and will probably be working in xyz can I do better than Tulane?

My Gmat's 690 (90th) V:38 (84) Q:47 (81) A: 5.0/6

CGPA: 3.25/4, Trust me xyz is tough in grading, but I simply can not convince you as you probably don't even know about the University.

Notable Extra-curriculars but I doubt they would make a difference if I put them here in much detail, stuff like Society President and Top ten ranking in Regional Chess Tournaments etc.

I have heard Tulane to be good from some places, and some seem to just brush it aside, I mean the Financial Times ranked it tenth in Finance in the World and US news b-school ranking dropped it to 54 from 45, similarly on forums and all, so what I really want to know as I said before, can I do better than Tulane and if I can what are you suggesting?

Would really appreciate a candid response.

Thank you.

Last edited by MJ2009 on 25 May 2009, 03:27, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 17:07
Your stats seem in range for many schools...

Can I ask why you would like to pursue a MFin instead of an MBA? A 690 is nothing to slouch at, and a 3.3 is average for most schools, even into the top 10. I wouldn't brush aside achievements such as a top 10 ranking in chess, even if it is regional.

Admittedly, I don't know a ton with regards to MFin programs, but I would think you could be competitive at many schools in the top 10, or top 15.

~Sam
Current Student

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 17:54
Well there are many reasons for pursuing MFin as opposed to a MBA; no experience, I will be graduating in May 2008!, MFin is a one year degree, a big factor for me as an international student, both b/c of the cost and time involved. That said I do plan to get an MBA from somewhere really nice after the Masters in Finance and a few years work experience.

And my CGPA is more likely to be 3.2 by the time I graduate, not 3.3 (Grades for the last quarter are yet to come in). I am not slouching at 690, but frankly its not in the top league either and I just want to spend my money on a degree thats really worth it as Scholarships are not really up for grabs for international students. If I go to Tulane I am spending something like $65K (living, tution, everything), so I am just wondering can I pay round about the same amount and get into a better place. You are saying top 10 or top 15 might be possible, tell me the #15 and I might be ready to go there.

Up till now I have been eyeing Rochester and Vanderbilt, I would really appreciate if you have something to suggest. Please don't hesitate to be frank and candid, I will be glad if you or anyone can help me out here. I sure hope to retun the favor to someone, someday.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 18:05
What about the MFin at the London School of Economics, or another school in the UK? I definitely believe that a MFin from there will open you far more doors than one in a non financial center such as New Orleans...

Just my 2 cents...
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 18:19
CerealsMBA wrote:
What about the MFin at the London School of Economics, or another school in the UK? I definitely believe that a MFin from there will open you far more doors than one in a non financial center such as New Orleans...

Just my 2 cents...

I agree, you have also nothing to loose by trying LBS, Princeton, etc....

You have already one egg in your hand, and your chances may be Doable as you're a very unique international student (I may be thinking as an MBA adcom, though).

If I were you, I'd try for the big names... As I mentioned you have nothing to loose...

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Current Student

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 18:31
kwam wrote:
CerealsMBA wrote:

Just my 2 cents...

I agree, you have also nothing to loose by trying LBS, Princeton, etc....

You have already one egg in your hand, and your chances may be Doable as you're a very unique international student (I may be thinking as an MBA adcom, though).

If I were you, I'd try for the big names... As I mentioned you have nothing to loose...

I get what you are saying in already having the Tulane admission but, (trying not to sound ungreatful), I really do want to go to a better place, 3.2 just doesn't cut for places like LSE or Princeton, maybe for LBS but after a good deal of work exp. I still would nonetheless try LSE and Princeton, but other than that is there some other University or program that I might be over looking in my research.

And kwam, I really want to know how am I "a very unique international student", just so I can use that on my application. If you are thinking of the top ten Chess ranking, its regional and trust me Pakistan doesn't really have great Chess players.
And one more thing I didn't understand, what does "MBA adcom" mean?

Thanks again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 18:48
I'll play devils advocate on this one, while I think that LBS and Princeton are better schools, you won't find better weather, culture, and people than in New Orleans. I can't stress how prestigious Tulane is to us in Louisiana, and if you look at other universities in the South it usually does well in a regional setting.

Tulane was recently ranked one of the best places to study finance by FT (I know doesn't mean much) and other than Emory, and Rice there isn't a lot of competition for Tulane in the South.

Of course I love Louisiana so I'll always be biased.
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 3

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 18:49
musaabjaved wrote:
And one more thing I didn't understand, what does "MBA adcom" mean?

Someone whose job is to drive people insane with e-mails at all odd hours and whose whims and fancies decide the fate of countless others. They are also largely responsible for the shortened life expectancy of MBA applicants. And oh yeah, they invented the word 'holistic'. In other words MBA adcom = MBA Admissions Committee.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 04:29
lsuguy7 wrote:
I'll play devils advocate on this one, while I think that LBS and Princeton are better schools, you won't find better weather, culture, and people than in New Orleans. I can't stress how prestigious Tulane is to us in Louisiana, and if you look at other universities in the South it usually does well in a regional setting.

Tulane was recently ranked one of the best places to study finance by FT (I know doesn't mean much) and other than Emory, and Rice there isn't a lot of competition for Tulane in the South.

Of course I love Louisiana so I'll always be biased.

Yes thats about all I get regarding Tulane, a wonderful setting and culture and all, very honestly thats not high on my priority as much as a culture conscious person I am. Infact its probably on the list either. My major concern as intn'l student is that I am spending a lot of money on this degree and I want to get it from a good university, something of the name tag thing as well. Does Rochester or Vanderbilt have that brand name that puts them above Tulane? And seriously to the big wigs and (those that have posted here: "sam77sam7", and "kwam", is there any chance my intn'l student profile might impress LSE or Princeton MFin? Some feedback on that would be great. I would really like to hear more from some of the Adcom sort of people? some answers to the "how to" questions, please.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 06:40
I think the MFin cost a lot of money for a one year degree and I don't think you're going to get the wow factor out of it that you will get from a top notch MBA. If you don't care at all about "fit" at the school and you just want the higher ranked - I'd say Vandy has an edge over Tulane as it has more of a national name. Also I think the Vandy program is shorter, so you get into the work world a little faster.

Like I said before knowing where you want to work is a big deal, if you want to work in Louisiana or Texas - I think Tulane gives you a better chance. If not not go with Vandy if you can't get into LBS or Princeton.
Current Student

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 07:49
lsuguy7 wrote:
I think the MFin cost a lot of money for a one year degree and I don't think you're going to get the wow factor out of it that you will get from a top notch MBA. If you don't care at all about "fit" at the school and you just want the higher ranked - I'd say Vandy has an edge over Tulane as it has more of a national name. Also I think the Vandy program is shorter, so you get into the work world a little faster.

Like I said before knowing where you want to work is a big deal, if you want to work in Louisiana or Texas - I think Tulane gives you a better chance. If not not go with Vandy if you can't get into LBS or Princeton.

But how can you get into a top-notch MBA with no exp and a profile like mine? Is there any top notch MBA program that might be potentially willing to take me? ... what international exposure advantage card can I play to get into... A reply with a few names would be really helpful guys.

Thank you
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 08:02
lsuguy7 wrote:

I don't agree with the Wow factor completely, if you want to work in heavy quantitative trading positions an MFin or MS would give more opportunities than an MBA. I agree though that it depends on what you want to work with.

Princeton has a very small intake - 40 - and is a very prestigious institution, so competition will be tough there.
http://www.princeton.edu/bcf/graduate/faq/

The LBS MFin (the other I researched) is a very good program and from what I talked to past students placements were very good (but remember that this was before this whole credit crunch).
http://www.london.edu/mif.html

I'd say that Princeton is a Long-Shot (it is for everybody in the world, it's like Stanford's MBA). I think you're GMAT is ok (for LBS I heard that 34v and 46q are the limit), if your past school is tough in grading, it would be better to use your ranking in the class, rather than the GPA itself.

In your situation, I'd try Princeton, LBS, LSE and other schools (I think UC Berkeley has an excelent Masters in Financial Engineering). You already have Tulane in your pocket, so why not to try?

The big problem here is that unlike MBAs these MFins usually do not disclosure as much info about admitted students, so it's harder to trace a strategy.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 12:59
Hi musaabjaved:

If you intend to work in the USA, it's very important to consider how your M.Sc. Finance degree will affect your OPT eligibility.

Non-U.S. citizens are given 1-year "Optional Practical Training" authorization in the U.S. usually upon completion of a degree program. During this period, you can work without requiring sponsorship from an employer. If you intend to do an MSF and then an MBA at a later date, bear in mind that you'd have already used up your OPT from the MSF program, which means you would need sponsorship for an H1 Visa right out of graduation from your MBA (very tough to get, but not impossible). A fresh year of OPT is only awarded for each higher degree you obtain (e.g. Bachelors -> Masters -> PhD).

IMO, Tulane is a great school for finance. Very underrated and people seem to forget that before Hurricane Katrina, the university was churning out Wall Street talent each year. Had the New Orleans economy & the university's operations not been so severely affected by the disaster, I think Tulane would have continued to rise in reputation and rankings. Other schools I suggest:

1. Carnegie Mellon: Masters in Financial Engineering (M.F.E.) - CMU brand name, prestige in Engineering & Sciences
2. Boston College: Dual Master of Accounting/Master of Finance (M.S.A./M.Fin) - Location can't be beat. Boston downtown financial district & close to NYC.
3. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Master of Science in Finance - Close to Chicago, a major financial city.
4. Rutgers University: Master of Quantitative Finance.
Current Student

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 14:41
I sort of get what you are guys are saying but its just that I don't think I am really cut out for the hardcore mathematical finance. I mean, I love finance and the math involved in it but not the other way around. I don't want to do all the coding, just a little exposure would be nice but being a quant and all is a little too much for me. So I think I will pass on those Financial engineering programs, infact on a second thought I doubt I will be able to get in the ones Loom mentioned.

What do you guy think about the M.S in Business Administration in Finance at Rochester?

Also Loom regarding the OPT, do you think an year of OPT could get me a sponsored job? If so , what are the prospects of going for a MBA few years down the line and then still getting sponsored? I hear getting a green card or residency is simply out of the question nowadays. That said could can anyone elaborate a little more on UIUC and Boston College: Dual Master of Accounting/Master of Finance (M.S.A./M.Fin) against the Tulane MFin? In fact really is Tulane considered a decent choice, because where I am coming from people really just know about the top 10 universities in US unless someone's done some research.

Looking forward to some responses.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 09:22
Hi

I just took the GMAT and got a 720. Have a 3 yr work experience and intend to apply for the MFin in LBS next year. Already have an MBA from FMS, Delhi and work with a foreign bank in the corporate banking division. Would be really helpful if someone could advise on the foll ques :

1) How realistic are my chances of getting an admit
2) Does anyone have an idea on how the placements in MIF have been post 2009

Thanks
Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2011, 09:22