Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application advice in exchange for donation?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Application advice in exchange for donation? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 09:55
Hi guys,

So during my application process I saw all those admission consultants advertise their services for lots of money. Some people used them. I didn't. I was lucky to have a friend who already went to a top b-school and who was willing to read through my essays and give me some feedback. Well some people are not as fortunate to have friends or family with this background but at the same time they don't want to use admissions consultants (either for ethical reasons or because of the $$$). For these people, I had the idea of maybe creating a list of volunteers who are willing to give feedback in exchange for a donation to a non-profit. Here are my questions for you guys: Does something like this already exist? What do you guys think of the idea? Would any admit, current student, or alumni of a top b-school be interested in joining as a volunteer? I made a mock-up website of how this would look like with more information:
http://mbavolunteers.weebly.com/

If you are interested and don't want to answer on the forum then send me a PM please.

Thanks!

http://mbavolunteers.weebly.com
- Application feedback in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Application advice in exchange for donation? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 10:59
Although I am not in bschool, or qualified to join as a volunteer, I think this is a great idea!!

Best of luck, and I will certainly follow the site!

~Sam
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: Application advice in exchange for donation? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 11:01
Good idea, indeed! Just make sure you follow up with good implementation. All the best.
Intern
Intern

Re: Application advice in exchange for donation? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 16:20
Thanks guys for the encouraging words. Maybe the best way to go about this is to contact student ambassadors at MBA programs to find some volunteers. If anybody would like to join in, please let me know!

SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

Re: Application advice in exchange for donation? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 16:32
I think you might find that once students are in their fist year, it's just too crazy for them to add much on. In general, I mean. The first semester was whack-o for most of us 09ers who are still around. A lot of my friends here felt pretty bowled over. I have friends here who had sweet consulting contracts from former employers but who wouldn't do the work because their time is just SO VALUABLE right now. You might have better luck with early admits who suddenly have all this extra time during the spring.

I do think it's a nice idea.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

Re: Application advice in exchange for donation? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 16:40
nice idea.

Instead of asking for a charitable donation though, your only requirement should be that the students who seek help in 08, for example, help the students in 09.

What you need is a professional team that will do this volunteer work for you. Once you are past your first year, you will find that the subsequent years will slowly become self-sustaining.
Intern
Intern

Re: Application advice in exchange for donation? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2008, 12:30
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes the idea of having applicants who seek help in 08 also help those in 09 is nice, but I'd fear that the current volunteers would be overrun by requests and then in the next year nobody would return the favor (as mentioned in a previous post, 1st year students are extremely busy).

Maybe this part of the forum is not the best place to look for volunteers since most of us are applicants, but I'm happy to see that the idea is well received.

Thanks again for your input guys! If I succeed in getting a bunch of volunteers I will let you know.

Intern
Intern

Re: Application advice in exchange for donation? [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 20:25
... just an update: We are three volunteers so far and therefore "live":

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: Application advice in exchange for donation? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 09:39
Sorry to pick up this old thread, but since there seemed to be interest in this idea I wanted to share our new website with the community:
http://www.MBAvolunteers.org

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Re: Application advice in exchange for donation?   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2008, 09:39