Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 15:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

application blues

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

application blues [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2004, 00:27
Hello People,
For the past 4 weeks I have been trying to get my application together for the first B-school in my list of choices. The experience has been, to put it in short, harrowing. For those like me who thought that being done with GMAT meant that the worst was over, well nothing could be farther from truth.
I am looking for some pointers for the app. process. I have found out that there are a few books like the Montauk's one and mbagameplan which are helpful, but i would appreciate if someone could provide a review of these books or suggest others that could be of help. It would also be great if some experienced fellas could comment on the usefulness of the admission consultants and suggest good ones from experience. Suggestions about books which help prepare one for the mba education and future career are also most welcome. Suggestions about other web resources and materials would also be very helpful.
The only forum that I have come across, which offers some advice on the application process is the B-week one, and those like me who have experience of both GMAT-club and B-week forums will acknowledge that the latter is nothing like this one. So I think it would be great if we could get this section of the forum going. It could also serve as a sort of smooth cross-over for those who finish their GMATs.

cheers
jay

PS: Please excuse my faulty sentence constructions for my grammar skills have gone down exponentially since taking the GMAT :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2004, 16:33
same story here as well .. I found Phil and Carol Carpenter's 'Marketing yourself to top mba programmes' good too .. especially the personal evaluation section .. I spent a lot of time evaluating myself with the questions asked in this book, which helped me a lot in my essays .. the sample essays in montauk's book give a fair idea of what sort of answers accepted applicants give to essay questions .. but, of course, dont copy anything from these samples .. it will be too obvious ..

also get somebody to critique your essays .. I got mine reviewed by friends and family which helped me a lot .. ask them to seriously review the essays though .. 'yeah the essays look real good, you should be admitted ..' kinda comments give you confidence but the critics help improve the essays more.

and try not to keep the essays till the end .. start before the gmat at least with a rough draft .. and continue refining them till the end .. I have been guilty of doing this .. I kept pushing mine till the end .. I had done my personal evaluation but hadnt drafted the essays till a couple of weeks before the deadline .. and ended up submitting my app at 11:55 pm on the day of the deadline! :shock:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2175

Kudos [?]: 7747 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2004, 11:14
Expert's post
trishuls wrote:
same story here as well .. I found Phil and Carol Carpenter's 'Marketing yourself to top mba programmes' good too .. especially the personal evaluation section .. I spent a lot of time evaluating myself with the questions asked in this book, which helped me a lot in my essays .. the sample essays in montauk's book give a fair idea of what sort of answers accepted applicants give to essay questions .. but, of course, dont copy anything from these samples .. it will be too obvious ..

also get somebody to critique your essays .. I got mine reviewed by friends and family which helped me a lot .. ask them to seriously review the essays though .. 'yeah the essays look real good, you should be admitted ..' kinda comments give you confidence but the critics help improve the essays more.

and try not to keep the essays till the end .. start before the gmat at least with a rough draft .. and continue refining them till the end .. I have been guilty of doing this .. I kept pushing mine till the end .. I had done my personal evaluation but hadnt drafted the essays till a couple of weeks before the deadline .. and ended up submitting my app at 11:55 pm on the day of the deadline! :shock:

Thanks a lot for the post Trishuls 8-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

[#permalink] 12 Mar 2004, 11:14