Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application burn-out

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
avatar
Status: Yale! (whipped and bound)
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 403
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Application burn-out [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 19:06
I feel totally drained of writing energy. I am applying to 4 schools this round and I was totally on a roll for a good couple weeks. I had great ideas, felt pumped to revise and edit, and have incorporated others' feedback.

Now I'm just tired of the whole thing! In particular, I don't want to write anymore of the "Why our school?" essays. Even though I'm not applying to Harvard, I love how they don't even ask that question. The mentality seems to be, "Ummm, why not Harvard?...is there even anywhere else worth going?" Why can't the rest of the schools be less insecure! Haha. On a serious note though, I am curious how others are faring these days. Did anyone else go through a funk and how long did it last?

Or how is everyone feeling? Is anyone even out there!? :)
_________________

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Application burn-out [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 01:56
machichi wrote:
I feel totally drained of writing energy. I am applying to 4 schools this round and I was totally on a roll for a good couple weeks. I had great ideas, felt pumped to revise and edit, and have incorporated others' feedback.

Now I'm just tired of the whole thing! In particular, I don't want to write anymore of the "Why our school?" essays. Even though I'm not applying to Harvard, I love how they don't even ask that question. The mentality seems to be, "Ummm, why not Harvard?...is there even anywhere else worth going?" Why can't the rest of the schools be less insecure! Haha. On a serious note though, I am curious how others are faring these days. Did anyone else go through a funk and how long did it last?

Or how is everyone feeling? Is anyone even out there!? :)


Same here! I have working drafts for 2 schools, but now when I'm trying to answer the "why us" question, I find myself hanging out on that schools website trying to find info, and then somehow find myself on youtube an hour later watching videos like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_mVb-G1v1I and laughing uncontrollably... I think I'm delirious.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 153
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: Application burn-out [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 07:54
Absolutely on the same ship. Maybe if it weren't for work at the full-time job ramping up or a summer class getting in the way of essay time or making up excuses like the ones I just mentioned, but I definitely have a "writer's block" if there ever was one. Since my essay writing (the real meat of the application) has slowed to a crawl, I've been getting everything else in order that doesn't require as much introspective thinking and time: really cleaning up that resume, filling out the basics in the application forms, sending recommendation forms/links to my recommenders, scheduling campus visits, etc.

We'll get there eventually...!!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 284
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Application burn-out [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 08:53
This is why I personally recommend applying to your dream schools in R1 despite many saying you should do so in R2. Any edge you gain by having your second round applications "get better" as you get more experience with essay questions is, in my opinion, vastly outweighed by the fact that you're burned out, less motivated, and just ready for the whole process to end.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Current Student
avatar
Status: Yale! (whipped and bound)
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 403
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Application burn-out [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 11:56
ebonn101 wrote:
This is why I personally recommend applying to your dream schools in R1 despite many saying you should do so in R2. Any edge you gain by having your second round applications "get better" as you get more experience with essay questions is, in my opinion, vastly outweighed by the fact that you're burned out, less motivated, and just ready for the whole process to end.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit


That's a really good point. I can't imagine how unmotivated I'd be to apply round 2 after all this!
_________________

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Application burn-out [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 12:02
machichi wrote:
ebonn101 wrote:
This is why I personally recommend applying to your dream schools in R1 despite many saying you should do so in R2. Any edge you gain by having your second round applications "get better" as you get more experience with essay questions is, in my opinion, vastly outweighed by the fact that you're burned out, less motivated, and just ready for the whole process to end.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit


That's a really good point. I can't imagine how unmotivated I'd be to apply round 2 after all this!


I'm focusing on my R1 october deadline schools right now... I dont even know how I'll be able to focus on NYU's Nov deadline, forget about R2...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 120
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Application burn-out [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 14:09
I'm applying to six schools and when I do feel the burn out I do this:

1. I take a week off, completely forget about apps. Stop going onto gmatclub, stop talking about it among friends, etc.
2. Then I realize that i might be behind. The fear then motivates me to come out with new ideas
3. Repeat
4. ....?
5. Profit
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 145
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Application burn-out [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 14:35
I just wrote a first draft of one of the 4 essays for the first school. I hate it already. This is going to be a longgg few months.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2008
Posts: 119
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: Application burn-out [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 02:28
Totally feel it! I started in beginning July and I feel that all the times I have spent cooped up at home just doing this is chipping away at me - When I am working, I cant stop thinking of this, when I go out, I feel so guilty afterwards, and when I actually spend time on this I get so tired!

And now I have barely completed 1 school essay for R1 - still 4 more to go
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 100
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Application burn-out [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 10:14
ss87 wrote:
Totally feel it! I started in beginning July and I feel that all the times I have spent cooped up at home just doing this is chipping away at me - When I am working, I cant stop thinking of this, when I go out, I feel so guilty afterwards, and when I actually spend time on this I get so tired!

And now I have barely completed 1 school essay for R1 - still 4 more to go



I am in the same boat. Even worse, it's beginning to affect my wife too. I took this past weekend completely off, no apps, no work, nothing. It felt really good! My strategy earlier was to spend more time on weekends on apps than weekdays. I just might do all my essay writing on weekdays now and go to weekends as we get closer to the deadlines.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 145
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Application burn-out [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 18:11
ss87 wrote:
Totally feel it! I started in beginning July and I feel that all the times I have spent cooped up at home just doing this is chipping away at me - When I am working, I cant stop thinking of this, when I go out, I feel so guilty afterwards, and when I actually spend time on this I get so tired!

And now I have barely completed 1 school essay for R1 - still 4 more to go



I dont think its that bad. If its causing you that much trouble for only 1 school, youre doing something wrong. 6 weeks should be enough time to prep quality essays, theyre not novels.

I think you should take a break for a couple days and not touch the essays.
Re: Application burn-out   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2012, 18:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Burnout :( divanshuj 1 18 May 2010, 07:23
11 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Prep Burnout? [merged] BudweisAr 38 01 Sep 2004, 09:21
Burnout, Stress, Motivation Raabend 15 02 Oct 2008, 12:39
Burnout...Progress? Puilunchristin 2 09 Sep 2005, 08:28
1 A burnout.. Does this happen to you? jsplitter 10 25 Sep 2005, 15:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Application burn-out

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.