Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 01:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application deadline today, but an Essay dilemma exists

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Application deadline today, but an Essay dilemma exists [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2006, 07:46
Preface: I am posting this in several forums to ensure maximum exposure, I sincerely apologize for wasting anyone's time that has come across this post in another part of the forum.

The application deadline for Rice university is today, but there is a slight catch. Only the actual application (with basic questions and demographics) and the fee are due today (round 3 deadline) while things like the resume, evaluations, and essays can be submitted later for evaluation.

I previously called and was told that if the information was submitted within 10 days of today that I would be fine, so long as I took care of the fee and application online by today's deadline.

My question is this.... I want to submit the best essay's possible(My candidacy is strong relative to the average Rice student, predominantly because of my GMAT score which is more than 10% above the Rice avg) and want to take the extra few days offered to have a few people review my work and ensure that it's a professional and academic fit.

Does anyone with prior experience of a situation like this know some type of unwritten rule, ie full and complete applications (essay's included) are given first or more serious consideration than those which reached a "completed" status at a later time?

Or do admission's offices deminish or look down on essay's/resume's etc submitted later?

I'm asking b/c i'm genuinely confused, in my work and life experience, a deadline is a deadline. I had no idea this was even the case for Rice until they sent out a reminder email to complete the online application process and put the word "completed" in quotes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

Re: Application deadline today, but an Essay dilemma exists [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2006, 16:58
Expert's post
huzayl wrote:
Preface: I am posting this in several forums to ensure maximum exposure, I sincerely apologize for wasting anyone's time that has come across this post in another part of the forum.

The application deadline for Rice university is today, but there is a slight catch. Only the actual application (with basic questions and demographics) and the fee are due today (round 3 deadline) while things like the resume, evaluations, and essays can be submitted later for evaluation.

I previously called and was told that if the information was submitted within 10 days of today that I would be fine, so long as I took care of the fee and application online by today's deadline.

My question is this.... I want to submit the best essay's possible(My candidacy is strong relative to the average Rice student, predominantly because of my GMAT score which is more than 10% above the Rice avg) and want to take the extra few days offered to have a few people review my work and ensure that it's a professional and academic fit.

Does anyone with prior experience of a situation like this know some type of unwritten rule, ie full and complete applications (essay's included) are given first or more serious consideration than those which reached a "completed" status at a later time?

Or do admission's offices deminish or look down on essay's/resume's etc submitted later?

I'm asking b/c i'm genuinely confused, in my work and life experience, a deadline is a deadline. I had no idea this was even the case for Rice until they sent out a reminder email to complete the online application process and put the word "completed" in quotes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I really don't know Rice's policy and am also surprised. Perhaps it makes sense to shoot them an email and confirm what you were told on the phone. Perhaps also, Rice does not receive the deluge of applications so that it is more flexible in its deadlines.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2006, 18:20
Thanks Linda,

I actually called and confirmed everything I was told and as ridiculous as this sounds, I had a friend call to inquire about the same policy only to recieve the exact same answer from a different person.

From what I can tell at this point, it seems as though it's a genuinely unique policy.

Given the private nature of the University and the small class size, I would gather that your intuitive thinking about the lack of applications flooding in at the last minute make the policy possible.

Either way, I am taking them up on the offer and will be turning in my essays later on this week. I will be anxiously awaiting a decision and any regrets will be pending.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 14:12
Expert's post
huzayl wrote:
Thanks Linda,

I actually called and confirmed everything I was told and as ridiculous as this sounds, I had a friend call to inquire about the same policy only to recieve the exact same answer from a different person.

From what I can tell at this point, it seems as though it's a genuinely unique policy.

Given the private nature of the University and the small class size, I would gather that your intuitive thinking about the lack of applications flooding in at the last minute make the policy possible.

Either way, I am taking them up on the offer and will be turning in my essays later on this week. I will be anxiously awaiting a decision and any regrets will be pending.

It sounds like you're safe.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog