Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application Essay-University of Chicago

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 76345

Application Essay-University of Chicago [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 17:54
I need help from you guys who have experience in applying to business schools. I am in finishing my essay for University of Chicago and my goal is to be a marketing manager in the company that I work for. Is it believable if I do state in my essay that I want to gain knowledge in marketing at University of Chicago because it is a premier school for marketing? What could University of Chicago contribute to my skills with regards to achieving my goal to be a marketing manager? Thanks for your feedback.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

Re: Application Essay-University of Chicago [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2004, 07:17
Expert's post
katherine wrote:
Is it believable if I do state in my essay that I want to gain knowledge in marketing at University of Chicago because it is a premier school for marketing? What could University of Chicago contribute to my skills with regards to achieving my goal to be a marketing manager? Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Katherine,

It's not out of the question that you'd want to go to Chicago to learn marketing. I don't know a ton about Chicago's marketing program, but I'm sure that they consider it to be top-notch.

But you'll want to put yourself in the adcomms' shoes and imagine what they might think when they read that. If you're in the Chicago area already (I don't know if you are) and you're interested in marketing, they'll be almost certain that you're also applying to Kellogg, whether or not that's actually the case. (Kellogg would look at a finance applicant the same way; they'd assume that he was applying to Chicago.) So, the first thing they may ask themselves is if yours is just a Kellogg essay that you recycled for Chicago. Just giving the reason "because Chicago is a premier marketing school" may make them think that. But saying something like "because Chicago will give me the analytical strengths that few other schools can provide" may sound more convincing. Of course, these need to be your own words, but you get the idea.

They may also ask themselves how well you know the school. If you give the reason stated above, even though they surely are proud of their marketing department, they may wonder how well you really know the school. Again, you'll want to demonstrate that you understand what Chicago's strengths are, especialy relative to other top schools (and especially vs. Kellogg, since they're in the same city).

Your essay shouldn't be about Kellogg and why you'd rather go to Chicago. The focus should definitely be on Chicago's strengths. But by talking about only marketing you're sure to turn on their radars. So, be sure to demonstrate what *specifically* about Chicago appeals to you. Even if you're a marketing person (not the most common profile at Chicago), I think that you can make a convincing case.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

U of Chicago essay [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2004, 18:54
Scott,
Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your response. Where could I buy the book that you wrote?

Kath
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2004, 19:28
You can find it in most Borders Bookstores. Or you can order it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

http://www.mbagameplan.com