Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

application question - please tell me what you think

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
application question - please tell me what you think [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 18:23
so have you noticed that some schools ask what other programs are you applying to. Do you think they use this info. to manage their yields? THat would be really disappointing but then agan why would they bother asking?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 18:48
isn't that an optional question on the app? i wouldn't answer it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 20:12
List two similarly ranked schools.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: application question - please tell me what you think [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 20:17
EconGirl wrote:
so have you noticed that some schools ask what other programs are you applying to. Do you think they use this info. to manage their yields? THat would be really disappointing but then agan why would they bother asking?

Some schools indeed do (ex. UNC, Darden, Duke etc). IMO there are two reasons for this
1) As you said to manage their yields...no body wants to invite students who would surely dump them if a better offer comes up. If i was the adcom I would not want to be in a position where I would have to take less than fit candidates in R3 just to fill the the seats.

2) Also they might want to see how much research you have done. Each school has some thing common to offer. They might check whether the schools youare applying to meet the goals you have stated or are you just applying based on rankings.

My 2 cents
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 21:57
I heard the admissions director from chicago say that she understood why people would also apply to wharton, but questioned those that also applied to harvard. So I think it has a great deal to do with showing what you want in a business school.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 22:06
I'd rather not disclose this information if possible.

Otherwise, just tell them that you are applying to similar schools (possibly ranked within 2-3 spots of your target school in your intended specialization).

This is one place where honesty will not pay.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: application question - please tell me what you think [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 07:33
jaynayak wrote:
Some schools indeed do (ex. UNC, Darden, Duke etc). IMO there are two reasons for this
1) As you said to manage their yields...no body wants to invite students who would surely dump them if a better offer comes up. If i was the adcom I would not want to be in a position where I would have to take less than fit candidates in R3 just to fill the the seats.

2) Also they might want to see how much research you have done. Each school has some thing common to offer. They might check whether the schools youare applying to meet the goals you have stated or are you just applying based on rankings.

My 2 cents

i agree...IMO, one should list couple of schools which have similar offerings but are ranked lower....

that would help both ways...it would show that you have done your research and that you will not dump them if you get accepted to other programs (because they are better ranked) :twisted:
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: application question - please tell me what you think [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 09:47
lhotseface wrote:
Bang on target ! That's what I did for Duke. Don't leave the question blank..an admissions comm. member told me that looks really stupid. They know that people are mature enough to not put all eggs in one basket and apply to multiple places.

luminos24 wrote:
jaynayak wrote:

My 2 cents

i agree...IMO, one should list couple of schools which have similar offerings but are ranked lower....

that would help both ways...it would show that you have done your research and that you will not dump them if you get accepted to other programs (because they are better ranked) :twisted:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 13:37
I know plenty of people who apply just to one school.

Ranking isn't everything, so make sure that your schools offer a similar package. I hear a lot of people wondering how someone can apply to both Harvard and Stanford since they're both so different (I did, so whatever).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

:( [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 21:57
Don't universities have access to the 5 schools that u chose to send your GMAT scores to?
:(   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2006, 21:57