Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 09:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application Round Strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Application Round Strategy [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 23:15
As a general rule, NEVER apply in the final round at a school unless you have a very unique background to contribute.

i.e.

It's BAD to apply:

2nd round of a 2 round school (MIT)
3rd round of a 3 round school (most schools)
4th round of a 4 round school (Haas, Anderson)

Simple, eh? :wink:

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Application Round Strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 04:51
I'm trying to figure out my stategy now and I'd like to know what you guys think.

RD1 Late Oct
HBS
Wharton
Stanford

I'm definitely applying to Wharton but will probably choose only one between H/S.

RD1 Early Nov
Haas
Columbia

RD1 Early Jan (All on same Application)
USC (MBA/MRED Dual Degree)
NYU
McCombs

RD1 Mid January
Cornell (MBA/MRED Dual Degree)

My back up plan if some how I strike out in each of the 3 groups is to move to just MRED programs that aren't due until Feb-Mar.

It's a total of 8 schools but because 3 are on the same application it will only be 6 applications. They are all round 1 but they are spread out over 3 months. I started this process last year but decided to hold of because I moved into a better position at work and was elected to vice president of a local organization that I'm involved in and felt the extra time would really help me improve my application.

So I've started a lot of the legwork already. I've visited half of the schools already and will be able to visit all of them before I apply. I'm also in a program that has allowed me to meet with adcom's from multiple schools.

So while I think 6 RD 1 applications sounds crazy, on paper it seems possible. I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew and hurt my chances instead of helping them.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Application Round Strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 05:08
What do you mean applying on same application? Doesn't Columbia's reg decision begin in Jan?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Application Round Strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 06:29
terp26 wrote:
What do you mean applying on same application? Doesn't Columbia's reg decision begin in Jan?

I will be applying through the Consortium. There are 14 member schools (Yale just joined this year). You can submit one application and they will then submit it to up to 6 schools of your choice. You just have to write one specific essay for each school. So in my case I will write 3 main essays that will go to all the schools and then write one specific essay for each of the 3 schools that only they will see. So 6 essays for 3 schools instead of 9-12. You need recommendations from 3 people but again those 3 recomendation would go to all the schools, so my recommenders will have to write less recomendations as well. And you only need to fill out the application information once.

Many people believe that it is for minorities only but in fact it's open to everyone as long as they can show support for minorties.

As far as Columbia the way I understand it is that they are on a rolling basis and their early decision round starts in August. The next date they show is January 9th if you want to be considered for merit based fellowships.
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Application Round Strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 06:32
what does show support for minorities mean? Previous engagement with them .... ? Just wondering since this seems to be an excellent way to try and limit the number of essays one writes leading to better essays by saving time and agony

gixxer1000 wrote:
terp26 wrote:

I will be applying through the Consortium. There are 14 member schools (Yale just joined this year). You can submit one application and they will then submit it to up to 6 schools of your choice. You just have to write one specific essay for each school. So in my case I will write 3 main essays that will go to all the schools and then write one specific essay for each of the 3 schools that only they will see. So 6 essays for 3 schools instead of 9-12. You need recommendations from 3 people but again those 3 recomendation would go to all the schools, so my recommenders will have to write less recomendations as well. And you only need to fill out the application information once.

Many people believe that it is for minorities only but in fact it's open to everyone as long as they can show support for minorties.

As far as Columbia the way I understand it is that they are on a rolling basis and their early decision round starts in August. The next date they show is January 9th if you want to be considered for merit based fellowships.

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Application Round Strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 06:53
sm332 wrote:
what does show support for minorities mean? Previous engagement with them .... ? Just wondering since this seems to be an excellent way to try and limit the number of essays one writes leading to better essays by saving time and agony

While African-American, Hispanics and Native-Americans make up about 26% of the population they only account for about 8% of top business programs. But in most cases they account for about double that in law programs, medical programs etc. It's clear that these communities don't see business school as a viable option and don't pursue it.

The Consortiums mission:
The mission of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, an alliance of leading American business schools and some of our country’s top corporations, is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership by helping to reduce the serious underrepresentation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management.

We will achieve this mission by recruiting for graduate business education qualified U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents from these underrepresented groups, as well as other persons who can demonstrate a commitment to The Consortium’s mission and can best assist The Consortium in pursuing this mission.

I'm an executive board member of a volunteer organization that helps minorities professionally. There are non-minorities that serve on the board with me. They would be just as eligible to apply and receive the scholarship as I would.

But not to get to far off topic, does anyone see and serious flaws in my application strategy?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Application Round Strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 09:55
Just wanted to share my thoughts on this because I REALLY wish I had done things differently although it ultimately all worked out. I highly encourage applying to a safety in R1 because it will keep you sane if you get in. For me, one of my safeties was the only R1 school I got into so it made the R2 wait process less painful (altho not a ton).

In addition to a safety, make sure to apply to at least one of your dream/reach schools in R1. I actually focused on my safeties in R1 so while I was happy I got something, I had to wait until the spring to find out about the schools i REALLY wanted. I ended up getting into my dream school in R2, which I attribute to the huge improvement in my essay writing. So again, also make sure you apply to a dream school in R2 because your application will be a LOT stronger with practice.

Finally, if you would go to Columbia if admitted, APPLY EARLY DECISION!! Your chances are MUCH better, regardless of what you hear otherwise. So many qualified people got W/Led or rejected partly due to the fact that they applied later and there were less spots available.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Application Round Strategy [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 19:21
gixxer, i think that will work, since you're technically only applying to 4 schools for "R1" (2 in October, 2 in November). The other "R1" schools are due when most R2 apps are due, through the Consortium, so it's as if you're doing one extra application in R2 and a couple of backups after that.

It'll be a lot of work and hopefully you're planning on taking your GMAT in May/June and already started preparing your recommender package and essays... you can do it if you start right now. :)

Good luck!

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Application Round Strategy [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 10:07
kryzak wrote:
gixxer, i think that will work, since you're technically only applying to 4 schools for "R1" (2 in October, 2 in November). The other "R1" schools are due when most R2 apps are due, through the Consortium, so it's as if you're doing one extra application in R2 and a couple of backups after that.

It'll be a lot of work and hopefully you're planning on taking your GMAT in May/June and already started preparing your recommender package and essays... you can do it if you start right now. :)

Good luck!

Under your advice I started Fri May 09, 2008 11:21 pm. :wink:

I actually got a year head start on my recommendations and essays because I asked them last year but then pulled out and decided to wait for this year. So I've done plenty of research for my essays and should be fine as long as the questions don't change to much.

The downside is that being in application mode for over a year now has become very stressful. I've forgotten what its like to have friends. If this year doesn't work out for me I can't imagine doing it again.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Application Round Strategy [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 10:13
So true.

gixxer1000 wrote:
The downside is that being in application mode for over a year now has become very stressful.

I unfortunately wrote my GMAT in Feb 2007. So, I had to wait until Fall 2007 to apply. While the headstart is good, it is insanely stressful to spend nearly 2 years obsessing about the MBA(I started preparing for GMAT around October 06). I was atleast lucky enough to be admitted at one of my R1 schools(Jan). Waiting for R2 results would have been unbearable, otherwise.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Application Round Strategy [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 22:49
wow... 10 months was bad enough for me, I can't imagine being in this mode for 1-2 years!

Good luck gixxer, i think you'll be able to get the apps in on time!

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Re: Application Round Strategy   [#permalink] 12 May 2008, 22:49