Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship / Finance
Schools:Harvard
 Q50  V46
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: Application round strategy [#permalink]
I don't know where you've heard this but all schools (including adcoms) seem to always suggest that they receive far more applicants in R2 than in R1.

CrushTheGMAT wrote:
Also I've heard that the keeners apply in R1, making R2 less competitive for top schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
 Q48  V40
Send PM
I've read that many people recommend not to do more than 3 apps per round

I actually agree with your strategy...

Maybe you can apply to say school 2, 4 first round
To balance the competition/practice for apps

And 1, 3 in R2
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Tuck
 Q45  V40
Send PM
I totally agree with the perception that R1 is more competitive than R2. Some of my friends, and I, have applied in several rounds and anyone has been admitted in Round 1. (and I am talking about people who has got in to Booth, Kellogg and Tuck)
bsd_lover wrote:
I don't know where you've heard this but all schools (including adcoms) seem to always suggest that they receive far more applicants in R2 than in R1.

CrushTheGMAT wrote:
Also I've heard that the keeners apply in R1, making R2 less competitive for top schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
There is some value in saving your "safety" schools for R2. That was you can save yourself the work of applying if you get into a more desirable school.

However, most people have noticed that their first couple essays are no where near the quality of later essays.

My strategy was to apply to a couple "sweet spot" schools as my first apps, then one of my stretches in R1. I was lucky to get admitted to on of those schools before I sent in my R2 apps, so I ended up dropping my safety school and applying to another stretch school.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
Some of it really depends on the application deadlines too.

If you have a safety school with a December decision date, I'd recommend applying in R1 so you can have an admit under your belt before the holidays. Likewise if you don't get in, then you can seriously reconsider your candidacy and approach to your apps before you submit your R2 applications.

On the same token, if one of your top choices has a late R1 deadline, I'd try to get it in R1.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
If you are pretty sure about what schools you would like to apply to, this is what I would do. Start working on this past years essays now. Most likely they will stay the same or at least somewhat similar. If you do this, you can easily apply to 4 schools in rd 1. This way, you will have alot of the work done, you will have thoroughly thought out your essays, and you will have more than enough time to visit schools early this fall. Also, you will likely have a interviews before rd 2, so you will have the opportunity to somewhat gauge your chances and then apply to safeties in rd 2 if necessary. If you get ahead of the game right now, you will have a much less stressful app season next year.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
dghazer wrote:
If you are pretty sure about what schools you would like to apply to, this is what I would do. Start working on this past years essays now. Most likely they will stay the same or at least somewhat similar. If you do this, you can easily apply to 4 schools in rd 1. This way, you will have alot of the work done, you will have thoroughly thought out your essays, and you will have more than enough time to visit schools early this fall. Also, you will likely have a interviews before rd 2, so you will have the opportunity to somewhat gauge your chances and then apply to safeties in rd 2 if necessary. If you get ahead of the game right now, you will have a much less stressful app season next year.

This is what I'm doing. I wrote some draft essays this winter. Now I've gone back and looked at them and they are dreadful, I am thinking was it really me that wrote this horrid crap? If you are starting in August, I can definitely see saving some "good" schools for R2. I think you have enough time to put together good essays for R1 and if that's the case, then I can't see any benefit to leaving it to R2. If you are happy with your essays, the only other benefit is getting an interview under your belt; you could just try and schedule the school you want the most for later if that's possible.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Anyone know when this year's essay questions start to come out?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
generally in the late summer, around July or August for most schools.

My recommendation, start NOW with the general "Why MBA, Why School X, Why Now?" and "Example of Leadership" essays. Those will stay relatively the same for most schools. By writing those essays now, you'll begin piecing together your story for the application and will make your life much easier when you're applying to multiple schools later on. My biggest regret was not writing the essays earlier (I started in mid-August for 3 schools in R1 and 1 in R2).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
People always say that your first couple apps are your weakest because of the learning curve.....but then again, the more essays you do the more stupid mistakes will be made because the mental endurance factor will come into play (i.e. leaving in the wrong school name etc). Upon review of my own essays, I found both of these to be true (typos for me, not wrong school names).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:Columbia Business School, NYU
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Columbia already came out with their essay questions for January 2010. If that's one of your targeted schools, I would use those questions as a template to get an early start. Their ED 2010 application will probably open in lately July. Hope this helps a little.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V46
Send PM
GMATaGoGo wrote:
Columbia already came out with their essay questions for January 2010. If that's one of your targeted schools, I would use those questions as a template to get an early start. Their ED 2010 application will probably open in lately July. Hope this helps a little.

Columbia is one of my top 4 choices. I'll get started on this. Thanks a lot.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V46
Send PM
GMATaGoGo wrote:

I believe this is for the accelerated MBA. Will these questions be the same as regular 2010 admission? Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Try to use previous year's questions for full time program. I think it will be close..
Manager
Manager
Schools:Columbia Business School, NYU
 Q48  V42
Send PM
In my opinion, I believe they will be the same questions. Two reaons why.

1) Columbia just recently change its questions. And they don't do that often. So for them to change the questions again is highly unlikely.

2)January 2010 Accelerated Program essays are already out. And they are the same as last year.

I suggest to go ahead and get started. Besides, if they do change it, at least you have a template of themes to fall back on. I have already started the essays per my blog.

Hope this helps a little bit more.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
I think this is easy - look at the notification dates. If the R1 notification is after the deadline to submit R2 apps, then push those to R2. For example, Stanford and Haas don't notify you until the end of January, by which time R2 deadlines have passed. Push schools like that into R2. Chicago, on the other hand, notifies you by the end of December, which means if you get an admit, you can cancel your R2 apps. Those are the three I applied in R1, and I wish I hadn't rushed to finish Stanford and Haas.

Oh, and my R1 essays sucked - I'd save my first choice for R2 for sure.
Manager
Manager
Schools:HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)
Send PM
Just to play devil's advocate... My experience was that I felt really burnt out by the time I got to my third application. My first 2 applications were the strongest in my case.

Also, if any of your schools send R1 decisions before the holidays, I'd prioritize that. It's *really* painful to wait for a bunch of schools that have January/February decisions. And on that note, you should realize that depending on your list of schools you may not hear from ANY school before the R2 deadlines. This was my case, so you may not want to base your R2 plan off the results of R1.

My final advice: apply to your top 3 choices in R1. Prioritize the set of essays that seems easiest to you, because you'll feel good getting one application done. Don't let yourself get stuck struggling on a question you're not sure how to answer (achem...What matters to you most and why?) because that will be a stamina drain. If interview season doesn't go well, apply to school #4 and maybe find a fifth choice for R2.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2