Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

application rounds

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
application rounds [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 06:52
sorry for this stupid question but....

1. why are there different rounds during the application process?
2. is ED the same as round 1?

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: application rounds [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 11:51
Only a few schools have ED...pretty much its supposed to mean if you get in you go. Usually the deposit deadlines are before R1 decisions are out for other schools. Also the deposits are also really big compared to normal rounds 4/5k vs 1/2k depending on the schools.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: application rounds [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 15:26
Different rounds so you can apply to more schools. (Time managing)

The ED is like a binding promise. If it is similar to the way law schools do it, then if you get accepted by ED then you must withdraw from other applied schools and attend that ED accepted school. There are some exceptions to cancel an ED acceptance, but I am not sure on the details.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: application rounds [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 16:58
Anybody have any suggestions how you should order which schools you apply to first? The obvious advantage of applying in round 1 is that you have a better chance but from what I've read is your applications become better the more you do. So should I put my longshot schools in round two when I have "better" applications or should I basically rank the schools in the order I want to get in and then pick the first x amount and do those in round 1?
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 691 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: application rounds [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 17:55
This post received
KUDOS
If you get into a school ED you dont HAVE to go...you are supposed to but I know one person who was admitted during ED and then R1 at another school and went with the other school. You sign an agreement but I dont think Columbia really has any way to enforce it.

As for round selection, I think Apply to your top choices early. You will have plenty of time to craft essays and stuff if you are thinking about it now. The slight improvements you will make application to application arent really enough to overcome the difference in difficulty between the rounds. I suggest starting with the most thorough application first, this gives you the most material to take from. Then do your others and finally return to your first and rework it. Mine evolved almost until I submitted them. I know Montauk suggests Kelloggs essays as the best to start with and I agree...they definitely cover the most ground and give lots of room to write. So if you are applying to K, write those first and then go to others...then go back and rework everything as you get better at crafting your stories.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: application rounds [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 05:02
riverripper wrote:
If you get into a school ED you dont HAVE to go...you are supposed to but I know one person who was admitted during ED and then R1 at another school and went with the other school. You sign an agreement but I dont think Columbia really has any way to enforce it.

I've heard urban legends of schools "blacklisting" a applicant if they renege on their committment.
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: application rounds [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2008, 09:52
what if u apply ED to multiple schools and get into all of them....

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: application rounds [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 11:05
then you may be in some trouble for applying to mulitiple EDs in the first place. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: application rounds [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 13:24
bmwhype2 wrote:
what if u apply ED to multiple schools and get into all of them....

You dont have to go to a place you got into during ED. You can choose where to put your deposit and wont even have to pay a cent to the other one because you did that. Its actually possible to find out from some schools like Kellogg, who has a sort of rolling decision in each round, before you find out from a school you applied to during ED. I know I found out I got into Kellogg before Tuck released ED results.

Re: application rounds   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2008, 13:24