Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application Strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Application Strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 05:11
So I've done my research about schools and have come to the conclusion that I only really want to go to one school- Tuck. I think I'm a reasonable candidate (good college, good GMAT, work experience, etc)- but not a shoe in by any stretch of the imagination.

So with that I have two questions:
1- From an application strategy perspective: is it a horrible idea to just apply to Tuck this year in Round 1? If I get in great; if not, I reapply next year with another year of experience, a better story, etc. I would also add some other schools to my list next year- eg Yale, Georgetown, etc.
2- Is this plan completely ridiculous? Has anyone else tried something like this and has it worked?

I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice. Thanks for your help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Application Strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 16:21
ghsu41,

If your strategy is based on the idea that Tuck will be flattered by your single-mindedness and will be more inclined to admit you, then it's not a good strategy. (Though you will probably improve your chances by applying to Tuck's Early Action round.) If you are 26 or older then it's also not a good idea. If your strategy it's based on the idea that you have limited time and funds to apply and would be content continuing your career without an MBA if you can't get a Tuck MBA, then it's an understandable strategy, especially if you are a younger candidate who can afford to wait another a year and still be in average MBA age range. But understand the low odds, even if you have a competitive profile. If you have, as you say, just a "reasonable" profile for Tuck, you are already about at the typical MBA matriculant age, and there are other B-schools you wouldn't mind getting an MBA from, then you should apply to, say, 5-6 this year like everyone else. Last year was a ferociously competitive year and this year will be too, so spreading your risk across multiple schools is always the best strategy.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter