Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application submission and interview timing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Application submission and interview timing [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 01:53
Hi,
I am new to this forum as well as to the MBA application process so have some newbie questions. I wanted to know if one can influence the timing of the interview by timing the application submission appropriately.
I am planning to apply to HBS, Wharton and Chicago GSB in Round 1 next year (for the class of 2013) but am still researching the application process.
Chicago Booth has a mid decision date by which all the candidates invited to interview will be contacted. Can this date be influenced by submitting the application early?
Harvard and Wharton just mention the deadline and the decision date.
Of these 3, only Wharton mentions that no one will be admitted without an interview. Is this not true for the other two?
I guess it is not the case that the ad-com starts reviewing the applications only after the deadline when all the applications for that round are received.
Basically I want to have Harvard Interviews in the end. Going by the dates this year, Chicago GSB's deadline is 13 days later than that of the other 2. Should I apply to Chicago before HBS if the case is similar next year also?
Thanks a lot!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Application submission and interview timing [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 06:57
ACLTM wrote:
Hi,
I am new to this forum as well as to the MBA application process so have some newbie questions. I wanted to know if one can influence the timing of the interview by timing the application submission appropriately.
I am planning to apply to HBS, Wharton and Chicago GSB in Round 1 next year (for the class of 2013) but am still researching the application process.
Chicago Booth has a mid decision date by which all the candidates invited to interview will be contacted. Can this date be influenced by submitting the application early?
Harvard and Wharton just mention the deadline and the decision date.
Of these 3, only Wharton mentions that no one will be admitted without an interview. Is this not true for the other two?
I guess it is not the case that the ad-com starts reviewing the applications only after the deadline when all the applications for that round are received.
Basically I want to have Harvard Interviews in the end. Going by the dates this year, Chicago GSB's deadline is 13 days later than that of the other 2. Should I apply to Chicago before HBS if the case is similar next year also?
Thanks a lot!

This is a common misconception. You cannot influence the date of your interview by altering your submission date. The exact process varies by school, but in general, interview invites are sent out as decisions are made and applications are not read in any particular order. Therefore, it is impossible to predict or control when that interview invitation shows up (or exactly what day the interview itself is scheduled on).

To your second question, Harvard, Wharton and Chicago all require interviews. In all instances, if you do not get invited to interview, you will not be admitted.

Third, and perhaps this is obvious, but perhaps not: interviews are by invitation only (Kellogg being an exception) and therefore, you may not even get the chance to interview at HBS, Chicago or Wharton. In fact, it's quite likely you won't get to interview at all three - most people don't.

Last, welcome to the forum! There's tons of good information here, browse and ask questions
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 1

Re: Application submission and interview timing [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 09:53
Hi ACLTM,

I didn't apply to HBS in R1, but did apply to the other two. All of these schools seem to have dedicated windows where they release interview invites. For ex. it seemed like the vast majority of the HBS interviews went out on one day (or maybe a couple), and this day was about a week before the Wharton interview invite window first opened up, which was four or five days before Chicago started their invites. So at least this yr it seemed like HBS wanted to get theirs out first. But that said, you could potentially influence your actual order of interviews by carefully choosing dates to interview. At both Chicago and Wharton they seemed to start on campus interviews the same week, but I could choose which date/time I wanted to meet with them. Assuming HBS interviews over a similar window (mid-to-late Nov.) then I could see you getting invites to all three, and scheduling them in whatever order you want. I'm not sure if this would work if you were to do a hub or alumni interview tho.

In any case, best of luck with the process. You've got plenty of time so hopefully it won't need to be unduly stressful.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Application submission and interview timing [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 21:37
Thanks a lot for clearing things up guys. If I get invited :?: , I'd not be able to go for campus interview.
Anyway, good luck to you too Jankynoname. And Rhyme, I really discovered a lot on this forum :)
Re: Application submission and interview timing   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2009, 21:37