Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application with a DUI

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Application with a DUI [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 18:28
This post received
KUDOS
I have a misdemeaner DUI and some applications (Stanford) ask if I have been convicted of a crime.

Am I automatically thrown into the reject pile?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Application with a DUI [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 20:46
homefry wrote:
I have a misdemeaner DUI and some applications (Stanford) ask if I have been convicted of a crime.

Am I automatically thrown into the reject pile?

Peronsally, I wouldnt even bother mentioning the DUI. It's a misdemeanor.

And anyway no, this wont get you rejected. What they are really looking for here is people with serious criminal issues - those that might be a threat to other students or faculty. Rape, felony assault, assault and battery, aggravated assault, resisting arrest, assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, etc. Or for serious crimes indicating a lack of ethics - b&e, embezellment, fraud, etc. "I got drunk" doesn't constitute any of these.

If you want to play it safe, indicate you got a DUI. Express regret, indicate it was a dumb move and a momentary lapse of judgement, and end there.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 21:16
Here's the question.

Have you ever been convicted of a crime, had a criminal charge sustained against you in a juvenile proceeding, or have been placed on a court-supervised probation?

Note that it doesn't ask for only felony crimes.... it just asks for crimes.

If I don't mention the DUI, can they take back the acceptance? Would a misdemeanor DUI be enough to take back the accpetance?

Off topic... how do they check all of our credentials?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 14:47
i wouldnt report this...a crime could mean jay-walking or speeding ticket.... dont bother to mention it.. crimes they are looking for are felonies and up...
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 17:22
You must report this incident. Failing to report it would be considered a clear violation of basic ethics.

The best policy is to be as transparent as possible about the event and show the admissions officers that this incident is not indicative of your character. Attempting to conceal the incident would send the opposite message.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 19:15
Hjort wrote:
You must report this incident. Failing to report it would be considered a clear violation of basic ethics.

The best policy is to be as transparent as possible about the event and show the admissions officers that this incident is not indicative of your character. Attempting to conceal the incident would send the opposite message.

Hjorts got a point. In any case, I stand by my theory that it wont make a lick of difference on your candidacy so long as you express regret that it happened.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 19:31
Hjort wrote:

What do you mean by be transparent? Can you further explain this?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 19:35
jayy178 wrote:
i wouldnt report this...a crime could mean jay-walking or speeding ticket.... dont bother to mention it.. crimes they are looking for are felonies and up...

I know what you mean. An infraction (speeding ticket) is a crime, but people wouldn't mention that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 19:42
homefry wrote:
Hjort wrote:

What do you mean by be transparent? Can you further explain this?

No appearance of impropriety. He means that if you come across as reflective, open and honest - in both your strengths and weaknesses, successes and mistakes, you will appear honest and trustworthy.

The thing to say about it something like this:

"In X, I was unfortunately charged with driving under the influence. I had made a poor decision and in a momentary lapse of judgement, I regrettably chose to drink and drive. I am embarassed by the foolishness of my choice, but have since learned from my mistake. "

Short, simple, take responsibility for it, and move on.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 19:59
By transparent I simply mean following a policy of full disclosure and not attempting to conceal information from the admissions staff.

Unlike a citation for jaywalking or an ordinary speeding ticket, DUI could be seen as indicative of a serious lapse of judgment and possibly even a substance abuse problem.

Rhyme makes a good point- most likely the admissions staff would simply disregard the offense if it appeared that the candidate was genuinely contrite. On the other hand, if one attempted to conceal it this is the kind of ethical violation that could lead to expulsion.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 20:11
Should I make it 1 page or 1 paragraph?

Should I also mention that I have never been in trouble with the law (except for this incident)?

Or that I have completed all the required courses, fines, and have my full license and driving rights?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 20:20
homefry wrote:
Should I make it 1 page or 1 paragraph?

Should I also mention that I have never been in trouble with the law (except for this incident)?

Or that I have completed all the required courses, fines, and have my full license and driving rights?

1 page? Oh lord no!!! Three sentences. If you harp on it for a page, then they'll wonder about it. If its three sentences they wont think twice. Seriously, do NOT waste a page on it.

It should just say:

I got a DUI. I made a bad choice. I've learned from that mistake.

Say those three sentences. Just say them more eloquently.
  [#permalink] 08 Nov 2006, 20:20