Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Apply in final round bs wait till next yr

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Apply in final round bs wait till next yr [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
I am looking at applying to LBS, Judge, and Rotman.
I was wondering if anyone either had experience, or had heard anything, regarding the chances of admission in the final rounds?
Would it be best to just wait until next year and apply then?
Does applying in a late round like this(and being dinged) hurt one's chances of success in the following year

A little about me
gmat -760
gpa - 3.1 - had kidney failure/kidney transplant over the course of my 4 year undergrad
pretty decent work experience/ec
support of my supervisors with good letters
major weakness is a lack of direct leadership experience, but I will be able to show it in other ways.
CFA charterholder if that helps at all?

Thanks all!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 10

Re: Apply in final round bs wait till next yr [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 20:55
I graduated from Cambridge.

You have a decent profile (fantastic GMAT, not sure about your work-ex, current industry, post-MBA goals).

I'd strongly recommend waiting and applying in R1.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [1] , given: 195

Re: Apply in final round bs wait till next yr [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi hhh:
From a brief "numbers" perspective, there is nothing that would keep you out of a top MBA program and the ones you listed.

However, from a timing perspective, you are going to want to wait until next year. The last rounds are tough to get into, even with your stats (GMAT is excellent).

My main point is that re-applicants are under the gun to explain "what have you done for me lately?" That is, what have they done, year-over-year, to better their candidacy.

So if you apply and are rejected late in the season (and you have a higher probability of this happening in the later rounds), you have little time to articulate how much you have matured professionally over the last year (ie. 5 to 6 months). What further complicates this is that fact that most reapplicant essays are shorter in length and offer a lessor chance of stating your case.

In summary, wait until next season.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Re: Apply in final round bs wait till next yr   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2010, 15:31