Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Apply in round 2 with a 720-760 or round 3 with a 780?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Apply in round 2 with a 720-760 or round 3 with a 780? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 23:48
Just noticed that there is a specific forum for this type of question...

I'm trying to decide if I should rush my GMAT to make the round 2 Harvard deadline or take my time and wait until round 3. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I'm fortunate in that my verbal is in the 99% with no study, but I've never spent much time on math so need a little work (I'm in the 70-80% range). If I blitz the math over the next few weeks and take the test early January, I think I can hit 750 or maybe 760 with the right luck, but my failure case would be 720. If I wait until March, I can most likely study my max up to 780 with a failure case of 750.

Is the score difference worth waiting until round 3? Due to work commitments I didn't think I could start an MBA next year (was going to be out of the country on an expat assignment for a year, but the duration was recently cut to 6 months) so I have a good excuse for applying late...but I'm not sure how the late application will affect my chances.

I feel that my work experience and background is solid, but my biggest fear is that I just turned 30 and might be considered too old for a top tier program. I'm only looking to go to a top 5 school and don't want the window to close on me. Is a worst-case 720 good enough, or do I need the 750+? Thanks!

Here is my background:

Work Experience: 5 years
Job: Manage a product mktg group at one of the largest tech companies in the world
Undergrad GPA: 3.5 (top 10 undergraduate business program)
Misc: Co-founder of a non-profit that raises tens of thousands of dollars yearly for local high schools
Extensive international experience
2 years in asia as a missionary
Speak multiple languages
Division 1 athlete
Can get letters of recommendation from heavy hitters in the tech industry

HBS Class of 2014

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes