Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Apply in round 3 or wait and apply next year for fall2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Apply in round 3 or wait and apply next year for fall2 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 06:45
I would really appreciate any help.

I am currently scoring a 600/620 on CATs. I have been studying for 4-5 months but I've been studying on and off.

I would like to get a 700+. I would assume that I can get there after 6-8 weeks of studying putting me at a GMAT date of December 22nd or so.

I will be late for several round 2 deadlines. Should I wait and apply for the following year or go ahead with a round 3?

Age -30 as of today
Female
8 years of work exp as an engineer in the silicon valley
Undergrad - top 10 engineering school
Part-time masters while working full-time
Post MBA goals - Business development & strategy in tech.

Is my age a disadvantage if I wait?
Target schools - Duke, Kelley, ucla, instead

Thanks a lot

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 660 [0], given: 6

Re: Apply in round 3 or wait and apply next year for fall2 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 07:09
Expert's post
Monikajudd,

Your age is a bit on the older side so I would advise you to apply this year if you can squeeze your GMAT in early. Rather than study on/off, is it possible to take vacation time and just dedicate yourself full time to studying? You'll do much better at improving your score if you set a deadline in the near future and do nothing but focus on that night and day.

Your background is compelling (technology) and schools will find your background refreshing to their candidate pool - and your ability to "contribute" to the classroom will help you set yourself apart from other fields (like banking/consulting), which tend to be over-represented. The fact that you want to combine tech and management, that is a plus.

If you've already been studying for 4-5 months, you do not need 6-8 more weeks for the GMAT exam. You should try to squeeze in 5-6 weeks and take vacation time from work to concentrate on your GMAT. Take a look at the gmatpill 1-month study plan and see if it's right for you.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Apply in round 3 or wait and apply next year for fall2 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 12:25
I too would encourage you to apply this year. You are already at the upper cusp at some schools and waiting a year might make you uncompetitive. Also, if you want to attend full-time and the schools you are applying to have executive programs, many will really encourage you to apply to the exec program.

R3 is not as impossible as it was a few years ago. Schools have gotten much better at managing their admissions process so that there are now plenty of spots available in R3.

One thing I want to warn you about is that since you are slightly older, admissions is going to have the expectation that your application is going to top notch as you have been in the professional world long enough where you know what top quality is. This means that you have to make sure that essays/applications/resume/interview are all well above standards.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Apply in round 3 or wait and apply next year for fall2 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 13:04
Thank you Kimberly and GmatPill,

I have a few follow up questions.
1. If I do happen to have to wait another year and apply for Fall 2014, what schools would be receptive considering my age?

2. I am also considering the part-time mba at Berkeley.
a. How competitive is the PT MBA at berkeley. Do you know the acceptance rate? With a 700+ GMAT score and 8 years of work experience in the silicon valley as
an engineer will I be competitive enough.
b. Also, do you feel since I am older, the PT program at Berkeley would suit me better. With a PT MBA from Berkeley can I break into business development and
strategy type roles in tech?
c. Also, do you know if PT MBA programs expect candidates to already have Managerial experience. I am an engineer and although I have been a team lead and
a customer account lead, I have not held a managerial title.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Apply in round 3 or wait and apply next year for fall2 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 13:45
2. I am also considering the part-time mba at Berkeley. EXCELLENT CHOICE. YOU CAN'T GET MUCH BETTER THAN THIS. YOU ARE LUCKY TO HAVE SUCH A QUALITY PART TIME PROGRAM IN YOUR REGION.
a. How competitive is the PT MBA at berkeley. Do you know the acceptance rate? With a 700+ GMAT score and 8 years of work experience in the silicon valley as
an engineer will I be competitive enough. IT IS VERY COMPETITIVE TO GET IN; HOWEVER, WITH A DECENT GMAT SCORE AND A STRONG APPLICATION YOU SHOULD BE A COMPETITIVE APPLICANT. JUST TRY TO DISTINGUISH YOURSELF FROM THE MASSES OF CANDIDATES WHO APPLY FROM THE TECH INDUSTRY.
b. Also, do you feel since I am older, the PT program at Berkeley would suit me better. With a PT MBA from Berkeley can I break into business development and
strategy type roles in tech? YES, THIS IS A MUCH BETTER FIT. YES, YOU CAN MAKE THE TRANSITION.
c. Also, do you know if PT MBA programs expect candidates to already have Managerial experience. I am an engineer and although I have been a team lead and
a customer account lead, I have not held a managerial title. YOU WILL FIND THE CLASS TO BE INCREDIBLY DIVERSE. GIVEN YOUR AGE, ADMISSIONS WOULD EXPECT SOME KIND OF LEADERSHIP/MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE.

GOOD LUCK.

KIMBERLY PLAGA
SENIOR ADMISSIONS CONSULTANT
MANHATTAN REVIEW

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Apply in round 3 or wait and apply next year for fall2   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2012, 13:45