Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 10:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Apply Now or Wait?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Apply Now or Wait? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 15:23
Hello. I'm an African who is interested in pursuing an MBA starting fall 2014. This is a brief profile:
-Attended a Little Ivy or to be a bit more specific a "Little Three" liberal arts college in USA
-Majored in Mathematics with a 3.24 GPA. Graduated in 2010.
-740 GMAT (48Q,42V)
-Dropped out of a PhD program in a mathematical science program in 2011(2010-2011).
-Presently working in Big 4 audit in Africa.
-Will have 30 months(2.5 years) full-time professional work experience at matriculation. Worked for 10 months at my country's Central Bank before my present Big 4 job. Will be 27 years old at matriculation.
-Was involved in a few extracurricular activities during college. A few leadership position in college, including being an interviewer during my final year. This made me learn a lot about American educational system. I have not being involved in so much extracurricular since college but was the class at the training school of my current job.
Right now I feel ready to pursue my MBA but I don't know if having just 2.5 years (30 months) before matriculation is okay. I'm also thinking about how this will affect my post-MBA job search. Is dropping out of a PhD going to affect my admission too badly? I'm interested in pursuing a career in finance(not necessarily IB) or consulting. Do international students from second-tier programs like Minnesota, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, etc get jobs after MBA? Even though I'm thinking of schools like Duke, Sloan, Yale, Darden,etc, getting a good scholarship from a second-tier MBA can affect where I end up since an MBA is also a financial decision for me. Please help advise me.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Apply Now or Wait? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 21:47
Expert's post
Hey there dude,

Sooo first of all, to answer your question about when to apply I need a lot more info from you. With 30 months already, you COULD apply this year, but I think you would have somewhat better chances next, so if you like your job and are doing interesting things, there's no reason for you not to hang in one more year and learn what you can, and strengthen your profile. Plus, at least on the surface working for your country's central bank is far better than big 4 experience, so you might want to spend time strengthening your profile there. It's entirely up to you of course, and this decision involves a lot of personal and professional considerations that are totally outside the scope of the MBA considerations...... but like I wrote, one more year feels good to me (it's also a great chance for you to boost what you can in your extras). But if you have a very good reason for applying this year, why not?

Second: CONGRATS on that super fantastic GMAT! That is really great! And it will help you a lot as you apply. If the other items in your profile are pretty good (like you have good ECs, good volunteer work, and can get good recs), I think that 740 + Central Bank + African applicant should allow you to apply to top 10 schools (and maybe two schools in top 20 as backups).

I mean it depends a bit more on what exactly you do, what your work experience looks like, etc. etc. but from where I stand things look pretty good, and if you can write fantastic essays, no reason why you should not aim for Tier 1 schools like Duke, Sloan, Darden, Yale... etc. etc.

Dropping out from your phd is no big deal I think. You will need to address this in your essays of course, and explain why.. but since you seem to have had a nice and successful career ever since you dropped out, it makes it seem like this was the right choice! It's all about what story you tell dude!

Sooo, hope all these thoughts help you get started out. If you have any questions, any at all, don't hesitate.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!