Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 2.97
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:McCombs School of Business
Send PM
Re: Apply this year or get 1 more year of experience? [#permalink]
gettinggoing,

I was in a very similar situation last year when I applied (would have had 3 yrs at matriculation, same GMAT, high GPA, coming from a niche professional services firm, wanting to make a career switch, didn't know if I should wait another year). I might have aimed too high with the schools I applied to, but I got dinged at all 4 of them. I received feedback from one school which, in part, told me they would have liked to have seen more work experience... that my essays didn't give a clear vision of my future career goals and they believed more work experience would help me to better clarify those goals.

I don't want to discourage you from applying if you think now is really the right time to go, because like Steel said, if you can put together a good story about why now is the right time, then I think you've got a shot. But if you're on the fence, there's a chance that fact may come through in your essays (as I think it did in my case last year).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hello!

A good friend of mine went to Kelley with 2-3 years of WE. She particularly went for brand management and landed a summer internship and eventual FT job (that she loves) with Nestle.

Hope that helps :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Just so you know there are very very few CPG jobs on the west coast. If you want marketing and west coast go into tech marketing. CPG is very heavy in the northeast and midwest.

3 years is borderline for many companies. As steel mentioned another year unless you are going to get a big promotion wont have a direct impact on whether you get in or not. However, it might be harder to get a job. How much harder is tough to tell, I got the sense that people with 2 or 3 years of work experience had a tougher time getting internships this year. I can't say how much harder but I think if you arent right in that sweet spot 4-7 years it definitely is more difficult in many areas. If you want banking or consulting 3 years is fine...but a lot of corporate jobs seem to trend towards more experienced people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the advice... that's the sense I get too, that 3 years will make it harder to get an internship / job.

But I've known people who have done it (including a girl from Kelley who got a job at P&G), so it's do-able, just... harder.

It's a lot to consider. :)

River ripper - Thanks for the heads-up. I think I'm going to target consumer/media companies in the California area. Nestle, Kashi, Neutrogena, Disney, Sony, NBC, etc. For the studios I probably want to concentrate on product marketing or trade licensing. I also definitely want to learn more about online marketing.
GMAT Club Bot