Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Apply this year or next year to MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Apply this year or next year to MBA? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 14:48
Hello – I’m looking for some feedback on my application dilemma at the moment, so all responses are appreciated!

I’ve tried to highlight what I view as important below.

My background:
28 year old EU citizen, living in NY
• 3 year undergraduate degree in business/marketing, with year 3 abroad in different EU country.
Lived and worked for 5 years in that different country, setting up two companies along the way.
• For the last year of the 5, at the same time as starting a company, I completed a Masters in Finance
• I’ve worked in Finance in NYC in a mid-sized investment management company ($7bn AUM) as an investment analyst since 2011
• EC activities: volunteer with a non-profit since 2011 teaching financial education to low income New Yorkers
• I will be applying as an international student (green card in process)
Undergraduate GPA – 3.2 approx. (I have not officially converted it yet)
Graduate GPA – 2.9 ( I was setting up a company at the same time)
Anticipated GMAT – 700+ (I won’t apply if its lower)

So my question is this: do I apply now or wait another year to improve my resume.

My goal is a top 10 ranked MBA. I feel that anything less than that will not give me the salary bump and/or career progression opportunities that would compensate for the direct and indirect MBA costs.

Factors to consider:
• I have a financial certification exam that I need to take, with two tests spread out over the next six months. This will take up a lot of my spare time. My plan is to start studying for my GMAT next April/May, with an eye on a round one application. Or studying this in October this year for 2 months with GMAT in December.
• The non-profit group I work with has an opening on the board, which I may be taking and increasing my role within the org.
• My green card should arrive summer 2014. If it is late, it may jeopardize my financing options for the MBA.

Assuming I apply this year for 2014 admission, I will be 29 when classes start, and 30 when classes start if I defer it another year. Will my age become a large impediment at that point?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Apply this year or next year to MBA? [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 15:22
Expert's post
dpw28 wrote:
Hello – I’m looking for some feedback on my application dilemma at the moment, so all responses are appreciated!

I’ve tried to highlight what I view as important below.

My background:
28 year old EU citizen, living in NY
• 3 year undergraduate degree in business/marketing, with year 3 abroad in different EU country.
Lived and worked for 5 years in that different country, setting up two companies along the way.
• For the last year of the 5, at the same time as starting a company, I completed a Masters in Finance
• I’ve worked in Finance in NYC in a mid-sized investment management company ($7bn AUM) as an investment analyst since 2011
• EC activities: volunteer with a non-profit since 2011 teaching financial education to low income New Yorkers
• I will be applying as an international student (green card in process)
Undergraduate GPA – 3.2 approx. (I have not officially converted it yet)
Graduate GPA – 2.9 ( I was setting up a company at the same time)
Anticipated GMAT – 700+ (I won’t apply if its lower)

So my question is this: do I apply now or wait another year to improve my resume.

My goal is a top 10 ranked MBA. I feel that anything less than that will not give me the salary bump and/or career progression opportunities that would compensate for the direct and indirect MBA costs.

Factors to consider:
• I have a financial certification exam that I need to take, with two tests spread out over the next six months. This will take up a lot of my spare time. My plan is to start studying for my GMAT next April/May, with an eye on a round one application. Or studying this in October this year for 2 months with GMAT in December.
• The non-profit group I work with has an opening on the board, which I may be taking and increasing my role within the org.
• My green card should arrive summer 2014. If it is late, it may jeopardize my financing options for the MBA.

Assuming I apply this year for 2014 admission, I will be 29 when classes start, and 30 when classes start if I defer it another year. Will my age become a large impediment at that point?

Your age and experience could make them wonder why you need an MBA. And your GGPA could raise some real concerns about your focus. Will you again get distracted with another project or opportunity and give the MBA too little attention.

Did I respond to you elsewhere?

Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Apply this year or next year to MBA? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 06:17
Linda - thanks for the reply.

Do you think the extra year will have a material difference on the admission's opinion of my overall application? Assuming that I use the next few months to a year to improve my application as outlined above.

For your other concerns (MBA as not a necessity and my overall focus), are these issues that can be overcome with a strong application/preparation or are these insurmountable for a top 5 or 6 MBA program in your opinion?

Is there anything else that I should be doing right now to improve my appeal to admissions?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Apply this year or next year to MBA? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 20:46
Expert's post
dpw28 wrote:
Linda - thanks for the reply.

Do you think the extra year will have a material difference on the admission's opinion of my overall application? Assuming that I use the next few months to a year to improve my application as outlined above.

For your other concerns (MBA as not a necessity and my overall focus), are these issues that can be overcome with a strong application/preparation or are these insurmountable for a top 5 or 6 MBA program in your opinion?

Is there anything else that I should be doing right now to improve my appeal to admissions?

I'm not sure waiting a year is going to help you and I'm not advocating waiting an additional year. I do think you will need to effectively address questions about focus and your performance during your graduate studies and why that lack of focus won't happen again.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog