Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Apply this year or wait another season?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Apply this year or wait another season? [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 17:49
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and would like some advice from you all. I graduated in 2012 with my Bachelor of Science in Accounting degree from an AACSB accredited institution. While there I earned a 3.86, Summa Cum Laude. I started working in April of this year, as a Portfolio Analyst within Corporate Banking of one of the top banks in the country. I am getting great experience analyzing all types of companies. Since I have been there for only 5 months, I have not yet reached "Independent" status yet, but I should be able to reach this milestone by the end of the year. Once an Independent Analyst, not only would I get a raise, but I would also start reviewing newer analysts work, get Portfolio Manager training and get trained on various other aspects of the job, e.g., tax analysis, projections, and some other stuff. This is where the dilemma sets in. If I want to apply for a top Business School this winter, not only can I not talk about many of the aspects of this job that the future would grant me, but my manager's recommendation letter would surely not be as good as if I wait until winter of 2014 to apply.

So my question to you all is the following: Should I even bother applying this winter when I will only have 8 months of experience (1 year and 4 months by the time the program starts) and I certainly will not have performed and learned to my potential in my position? Would it be a better strategic move to wait until December-January of 2014-15 to start applying by which I will have much stronger experience as an Analyst (1 year and 8 months at application, 2 years and 5 months by the time the program starts).

By the way, if I am to apply this winter, I have to cram GMAT studying during the next 3 months...and prepare every other aspect of my application. Is it even possible with a full-time job? Please give your opinion on my situation. Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Apply this year or wait another season? [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 20:17
This post received
KUDOS
gabela7 wrote:
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and would like some advice from you all. I graduated in 2012 with my Bachelor of Science in Accounting degree from an AACSB accredited institution. While there I earned a 3.86, Summa Cum Laude. I started working in April of this year, as a Portfolio Analyst within Corporate Banking of one of the top banks in the country. I am getting great experience analyzing all types of companies. Since I have been there for only 5 months, I have not yet reached "Independent" status yet, but I should be able to reach this milestone by the end of the year. Once an Independent Analyst, not only would I get a raise, but I would also start reviewing newer analysts work, get Portfolio Manager training and get trained on various other aspects of the job, e.g., tax analysis, projections, and some other stuff. This is where the dilemma sets in. If I want to apply for a top Business School this winter, not only can I not talk about many of the aspects of this job that the future would grant me, but my manager's recommendation letter would surely not be as good as if I wait until winter of 2014 to apply.

So my question to you all is the following: Should I even bother applying this winter when I will only have 8 months of experience (1 year and 4 months by the time the program starts) and I certainly will not have performed and learned to my potential in my position? Would it be a better strategic move to wait until December-January of 2014-15 to start applying by which I will have much stronger experience as an Analyst (1 year and 8 months at application, 2 years and 5 months by the time the program starts).

By the way, if I am to apply this winter, I have to cram GMAT studying during the next 3 months...and prepare every other aspect of my application. Is it even possible with a full-time job? Please give your opinion on my situation. Thanks.

It sounds like you already answered your own question. Is there any reason why you want to apply earlier? If not, apply in 2014 (for fall 2015 matriculation) so you can gain more work experience, develop extra-curricular activities, maybe even get a promotion under your belt, prepare for and take the GMAT, and have sufficient time to write your essays / prepare your recommenders.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Apply this year or wait another season? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 08:46
The only reason I could give for doing it next year is that I would be able to be done at age 27 instead of 27 (I know, not a big deal) but when planning life and marriage etc., it is something to consider.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 1

Re: Apply this year or wait another season? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 14:08
Expert's post
Hey there,

My answer will be brief but only because your question warrants a fairly straight forward response. You shouldn't apply this year. 8 months of work experience isn't just low, it's not enough. You are in a good spot and additional time will only work to strengthen and improve your experience set and trajectory.

You absolutely should take your time, prep for your GMATs, and then reassess next fall. Also, that gives you the opportunity to plan ahead over the summer of 2014 to make sure you hit R1 deadlines. Additionally, it gives you wiggle room in the event you need to retake the GMAT. Not saying you'll need to - I'm sure you'll rock it!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Apply this year or wait another season?   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2013, 14:08