Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Apply to any other schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Apply to any other schools? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 14:33
The scoop:

5 Years work experience in investment management at companies with name recognition (1 wall street firm and 1 investment consulting firm...also internship experience at wall street firm).
3.3 GPA from a top 35 undergraduate school, major in economics and minor in business
No real community service
710 GMAT

Applying to b-school to transition into the healthcare industry. Don't have healthcare work experience, so a strong healthcare program at the school is important.

I applied to UNC, Duke, and UCLA in the first round. Got dinged from Duke. Looks like a WL or ding from UCLA as I haven't been invited for an interview (though to be honest I put that application together in a couple days since it was such an easy application, and didn't put a tremendous amount of effort into it), and I got into UNC.

Looking at second round schools, I've pretty much completed my applications for Ross and Vanderbilt.

All the schools I've mentioned have strong healthcare programs which is why I've applied to them. I was going to apply to Rutgers and Johns Hopkins as safeties - but I've already gotten into UNC and I would go to UNC over those two schools even with money, so I figure there's no point. I feel like I won't get into a Haas or Wharton, so there's no point in applying there too. UT has a healthcare program, but there employment report shows only 2% of graduates working in the healthcare industry so the program doesn't seem to be too prolific. What do you think? Except for the 5 schools I'm already applying to or have applied to, are there any additional schools I should be looking to?

Thank you for your help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Apply to any other schools? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 00:07
With a GMAT score of 710 and a good GPA, I think you stood a chance at UCLA even in the first round. Your experience of 5 years is good but what matters is whether you've had leadership roles in your work experience. Did you take part in any extra-curricular activities during your undergraduate years? I suggest once you've completed your applications for Ross and Vanderbilt, get them verified by alumni of those schools. Wharton will be very difficult for you but you can give Haas a shot. You do not need to look for any other schools. Just work on creating a stellar application for Ross, Vanderbilt first. If you can, then try for Haas.

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Apply to any other schools? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 13:47
InterviewBay2 wrote:
With a GMAT score of 710 and a good GPA, I think you stood a chance at UCLA even in the first round. Your experience of 5 years is good but what matters is whether you've had leadership roles in your work experience. Did you take part in any extra-curricular activities during your undergraduate years? I suggest once you've completed your applications for Ross and Vanderbilt, get them verified by alumni of those schools. Wharton will be very difficult for you but you can give Haas a shot. You do not need to look for any other schools. Just work on creating a stellar application for Ross, Vanderbilt first. If you can, then try for Haas.

Good Luck!
http://www.interviewbay.com

Thanks! I've actually gotten interview invites from Ross and Vanderbilt from the second round. Didn't apply to Haas - thought I wouldn't get in after first round rejections from Duke and UCLA. I would be happy to attend UNC, Ross, or Vanderbilt though, so though I'm feeling slightly regretful not applying to Haas - overall I am feeling grateful right now.

I'm assuming a round three application to Haas would be a waste of time?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Apply to any other schools? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 05:31
Good Luck for your interviews at Ross and Vanderbilt. Applying to Haas in Round 3 should not be your concern right now. Prepare for your interviews and try to get an admit.

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Re: Apply to any other schools?   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2014, 05:31