Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Applying as a couple - pros and cons? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
VanessaGilArbitrage wrote:
Dear anathagenzum,

Greetings & thanks for your question!

Absolutely, the admissions results are individual – you will each stand on your own merits. However, as my esteemed colleague above noted, certainly the AdCom is made of human beings, and I agree that schools do try to employ compassion and not break up families/married couples.

In my nearly 7 years’ experience as an MBA admissions consultant, I have never seen a weak or non-qualified applicant be admitted because of their partner’s strong, qualified profile. It’s important to remember that the AdComs, particularly those who lead the most elite institutions in the nation, view themselves as the standard-bearers of deeply-held American values. These values include integrity, rising through one’s own merits and effort (not through one’s father, or one’s mother, or one’s friends, or one’s spouse), avoidance of cronyism, etc. So in many ways, it’s a point of pride that each applicant must make a convincing case on their own for how they will contribute to the classroom and community of that B-school…they simply cannot ride on another’s coattails.

And yes, it’s perfectly fine to mention that you are a couple applying together.

However, I’ll let you in on a secret here: the best way to ‘argue’ for your legitimacy as a couple applying to an MBA program is to show how you two, as a unit, will bring more to the community than you would have if you were separated (i.e. not both admitted). Just as you would if you were a business pitching to a prospective client, you need to make the MBA ADCOM aware of how they will benefit if they “buy in” to your value proposition. I’ve worked with clients who try to resort to threats (ie if you don’t accept both candidates, the stronger one won’t attend) – trust me, any threats and ultimata won’t work. There are just far too many qualified MBA applicants out there.

Regarding couple app’s, I would say again that you don’t want to pitch yourselves as “a couple who are applying and now please accept us simply based on that” but rather, as two very worthy individual business professionals who wish to join an extraordinary intellectual community together, and enrich it jointly. If you are planning to work on an entrepreneurial venture together, you might want to mention that. You want to subtly show that together, you will be that much more well-positioned to effectuate change and benefit society, as well as their MBA program, by studying and working side-by-side.

And of course, be sure to engage with the MBA community and AdCom through info sessions and events, so they can get to know you both, and ascertain your fit.

Happy to chat more with you and/or your partner/spouse.

Best of luck in life and the MBA!
Vanessa

Vanessa, such an awesome post. Very instructive. Value proposition is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Thanks.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
anathagenzum wrote:

Hi @anathagenzum- great question and I think you've had some excellent responses. From my adcom experience (and while every school is a little different), I think it is helpful for adcom to have that information. I don't think it would hurt the stronger candidate to be "linked" to the weaker. The best place to mention is in the optional essay section and it does not need to be a long essay- just a statement. I would not put any qualifiers there like I will only attend if spouse/s.o./boyfriend etc is admitted. Just mention the connection and leave it at that. In my experience it won't hurt the stronger one but it might possibly help the weaker if there is something compelling about the stronger where the school really wants a candidate. But each candidate will have to be strong enough on their own merits for the admit- but if it is borderline maybe the weaker one could get a small bump.

And from a strategy of trying to end up in same place I think it is an excellent suggestion to look at cities like Chicago or NY or SF where there are multiple strong programs in those cities which increases your odds of ending up in at least the same city or nearby. Hope that helps.

Could you guys help me understand the overall pros and cons of applying as a couple (dating since few years, not married)?

One of us has a very strong profile (HSW hopeful) and the other has a less strong profile (M7 hopeful).

More specifically, we want to understand if:
a) Admission results are necessarily joint or individual - both from the school's side/applicants' side? (I believe the theoretical answer is individual?)
b) I understand that applying together can help the weaker profile, but can it harm the stronger profile and lead to not being offered an admit due to the joint application even if he/she may have gotten it individually?
c) Where should it be mentioned that we are applying together since not all schools have a section for it? Additional essay? To what extent?
d) Do any M7 schools not consider couple apps? I've heard Booth doesn't?

Additionally, any real life examples would be very helpful.

Thanks a ton in advance, as always! :)
GMAT Club Bot