Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 16:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Applying for an MBA in 2014. What can I do till then?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Applying for an MBA in 2014. What can I do till then? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:33
Hi guys - first post, so be nice please :)

After much soul-searching and looking into my career, I've decided I do wish to get an MBA. However, I'm giving myself 2 years from now - that is, applying around Oct-Dec 2014 to enter in 2015. Aim is of course to get into one of H/W/S. In fact my order of preference would probably be H/S/Booth (love Chicago, bro went to Booth).

My question to you guys is - what can I do from this point on, to build as strong an application as possible? I'll provide some details and it would be incredibly helpful if you could help point out where I'm not so strong/lack, or where I'm good and should push further, etc:

1) Summa Cum Laude from a non target business university during ugrad - graduated Dec 2009.
2) Working in a Tier 2 management consulting firm (one of OW, Monitor, Roland Berger, LEK, AT K) and have moved up the ranks reasonably well (should hopefully get a good recommendation from my favourite Partner)
3) ECAs - strong leadership shown during college/high school (started/ran 2 prominent clubs), but not a lot since then obviously as focus was more on work
4) Pretty good writer - can I exploit this somehow and maybe write a novella? Or maybe try and get a contributing role in a leading newspaper in Singapore (where I'm based)?
5) Haven't taken the GMAT yet. I definitely know I need to ace it like no other (750+ will have to be achieved I think)

Thoughts, people? Basically looking for stories around 'if I had 2 extra years, this is what I'd have done...'

Would really appreciate the input!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Applying for an MBA in 2014. What can I do till then? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 08:46
Harvard and Stanford like to see EC involvement with a service leaning. They are particularly fond of leadership in organizations that help marginalized groups (poor, minorities, immigrants, etc.). Those two schools both have mottos about making leaders who will change the world (or something in that vein).

Booth appreciates that stuff too but just likes to see some type of involvement outside of work. It doesn't necessarily have to be community service oriented. You can get involved with employee groups and events at your job and that would be fine.

The novella idea probably won't get you very far in admissions land unless it gets published somewhere pretty big. HBS isn't particularly interested in random hobbies if they haven't led to significant achievements.

My advice is to get involved in something that you enjoy. Try to contribute in a meaningful way and maybe take on a leadership role (either on a committee or on a board or project based) within a year. Other than that your profile seems solid enough. HBS and Stanford like to see more sparkle dust in terms of undergrad institution and employer. However, you seem to have done very well in undergrad and if you can be at the top of your peer group at your firm and can get a lot of company support then you should at least have a shot at the interview.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stratus Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Applying for an MBA in 2014. What can I do till then? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 12:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You are correct that you will need an excellent GMAT score, but above 750 is not absolutely necessary. Of the top 3 MBA programs, Wharton is the most quantitative, so they care most about the GMAT. The other schools are more lenient. I have worked with many clients with GMAT scores in the 600s and even some in the 500s who have gained entry to HBS. What matters most is differentiating yourself through the story that you tell in your application. HBS, as well as Stanford and Booth, are very interested in entrepreneurs right now, so since you have a couple years before you apply, you may consider starting an entrepreneurial venture.

Shawn O'Connor
Founder/CEO, Stratus Prep
shawn.oconnor@stratusprep.com
212-307-1788
http://www.stratusprep.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Applying for an MBA in 2014. What can I do till then? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 17:38
StratusPrep wrote:
You are correct that you will need an excellent GMAT score, but above 750 is not absolutely necessary. Of the top 3 MBA programs, Wharton is the most quantitative, so they care most about the GMAT. The other schools are more lenient. I have worked with many clients with GMAT scores in the 600s and even some in the 500s who have gained entry to HBS. What matters most is differentiating yourself through the story that you tell in your application. HBS, as well as Stanford and Booth, are very interested in entrepreneurs right now, so since you have a couple years before you apply, you may consider starting an entrepreneurial venture.

Epic suggestion. I too was thinking something along the lines of entrepreneurship. While I do genuinely wish to do some good for the community, the truth is that such organizations are a) rare in sg b) singapore really doesn't have THAT many problems, lol. If I was in Sri Lanka or something I could launch an initiative to promote education among kids or reduce poverty, but such major issues are really not present in Singapore.

So I think a business venture would be very interesting indeed.

Your point on not focusing on a GMAT score is true, but honestly...my profile is an Indian male. Nuff said. I need a 750+. What differentiates me though is my huge amount of international exposure and atypical Indian profile of working in management consulting and not software/IT. But end of the day I got an Indian passport just like my other Indian homies out there.

Thanks a lot!
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Applying for an MBA in 2014. What can I do till then? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 18:54
bbjhva wrote:
Your point on not focusing on a GMAT score is true, but honestly...my profile is an Indian male. Nuff said. I need a 750+. What differentiates me though is my huge amount of international exposure and atypical Indian profile of working in management consulting and not software/IT. But end of the day I got an Indian passport just like my other Indian homies out there.

Thanks a lot!

i'm going to agree with Stratus Prep on the GMAT issue. While I won't go as far as saying you could have a legitimate shot with a score in the 500s or 600s, I will say that you don't need a 750+ (even as an Indian male) in order to be taken seriously. The ROI on a 750+ really isn't that much greater than a 720+. There are plenty of international Indian applicants who get into the top 5 schools with scores between 710-740.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the GMAT is what will get you into a school. I have seen several applications from Indians (essays and resumes) and the major flaw I consistently see is lack of specificity, overly complicated writing styles, and lots of cliched themes (i.e. comparing oneself to the ingredients in a delicious Indian meal; quotes from Ghandi; etc.), and vague recommendations. You already do not have the "typical" background of many Indian male applicants so that is to your advantage. Yes you need a solid GMAT score, but hitting the 99th percentile won't do you nearly as much good as writing detailed essays, finding the right stories to answer the essay questions (i.e. do NOT use a story about failing a class for a failure essay), getting the resume right, and having great recommendations. I just don't want to see you take the GMAT, end up with a balanced 730 and waste your time retaking it because you think it's not good enough. Good luck!

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Applying for an MBA in 2014. What can I do till then? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 19:01
Cheers cheetarah1980. Appreciate the candour. Hilarious on how Indian applicants compare themselves to an Indian meal - is it that common??

No but point taken. I think a sexy GMAT score definitely helps but I agree, I need to have my essays in absolutely top shape and my 'storyline' really well sorted. That is ultimately going to get an HBS type school, certainly not a more run-of-the-mill 740-770 type GMAT score which, while phenomenal, can't be the be-all and end-all.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: Applying for an MBA in 2014. What can I do till then? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 07:40
bbjhva wrote:

Thanks a lot!

If you are targetting H/S/W, you are not really up against the "average" Indian applicant. You are up against the top 10% of Indian applicants. And in that pool, your background is not exactly "atypical".

The applicants in that band have something like :
Top Indian undergrad (IIT/DU/Top law) + High GPA (9+ on 10) --> McK/BCG/Bain --> BlackStone/KKR/Temasek/Sequoia
or
The same kind of ug --> Goldman/MS Analyst --> Associate
or
Industrial Firm (ITC/HLL/P&G/Schlum) --> Directly manages 10+ by 3/4 years of ug
Re: Applying for an MBA in 2014. What can I do till then?   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2012, 07:40