Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 07:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Applying for scholarships

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Applying for scholarships [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 04:51
I am applying at several schools to do an MSc in management next year. Among which Duke, ESADE and ESCP. Since the tuition fee is quite high for these schools and I am 23 year old student with no working experience and thus no means to pay for the programs at the moment I plan to apply for a scholarship.
But I was wondering how one should go at this?

I have an unconventional background (master in product development) with good results, a high GMAT (770), won two quite significant awards with my graduation project last year and speak 5 different languages. As such I consider myself quite competitive for a merit award but I don't really know how to try to convince the board of this.

Most scholarships ask for a letter explaining why you consider yourself to deserve it. I guess it is quite hard not to brag if they are asking you about your own merit.. Should you talk about financial need in this kind of letter? I have no means to pay the tuition fee at the moment since I just graduated but I guess 90% of students don't.
Any tips on writing this letter or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Applying for scholarships [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 04:24
Anyone?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 29

Re: Applying for scholarships [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 08:58
Some schools, like LSE, will actually disqualify you from admittance if you apply knowing you cannot afford the education. I would not mention that in the essay.

Since this is a merit award, meaning it has everything to with your academic record, that is what I think you should talk about. As long as you are not calling yourself the smartest person to have ever lived, bragging a little is not a bad thing in an essay like this.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Re: Applying for scholarships   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2013, 08:58