Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Applying in 2009

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Applying in 2009 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2008, 06:11
Edited for privacy! Sorry!

"Bee" your best!

Last edited by ElleBee on 18 Mar 2009, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying in 2009 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2008, 06:42
If you raise your GMAT to 720+, you will be competitive for HBS/Stanford/Wharton/Kellogg.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying in 2009 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2008, 07:42
With your profile you probably dont need a 720+ like many others. You have a solid GPA from a top 10 and it seems like you have an interesting story. However, your 640 will really hurt you. I suggest you retake the GMAT and aim for 700. Your goal is good but very specific and that might be tough. Luxury brands dont hire many people they arent the size of a P&G or Pepsi...they dont need 50 MBA grads a year. Once you are at school you can chase whatever you want but you want to maximize your chances when you are applying.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Applying in 2009 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2008, 11:29
I say bring up your GMAT to 700+ (you should be able to score at least a Q46/V42) and apply to HSW, Kellogg, Fuqua, Columbia and be done with it.

MBA programs need more women and your profile looks good. You look like you have the background to create a nice story.

RVD.

My Wharton Blog - http://www.whartonblog.com
Wharton MBA for Executives Ambassador - http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t66295
My Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/102-t49770

Current Student

Re: Applying in 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 06:28
Edited for privacy! Sorry!

"Bee" your best!

Last edited by ElleBee on 23 Jun 2009, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Applying in 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 09:27
Take the stats class and I think you have a very good profile :) Are you considering taking the GMAT again? I wouldn't unless I had lots of time but you do have some breathing room since you are applying next year. Your target schools seem very appropriate and I'd aim higher (in the Kellogg range since you want to do luxury goods marketing) if I were you.

I would caution and say that many women coming out of b-school want to go to into this field; it is highly competitive. I might especially focus on schools in NY since it is far easier to get an internship there at a luxury goods brand than from some other schools as they don't typically have dedicated recruiters coming out to the b-schools.

I worked for several luxury goods companies in the past so am pretty familiar with the recruiting process, let me know if you have questions.

Kathy
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying in 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 11:46
Why don't you add wharton to your list.

you may need to clarify your work experience a bit.
Current Student

Re: Applying in 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 14:42
Meowzilla --- thanks for the great advice. I'll be sending you a PM in a little bit.

Terp --- Wharton is pretty much out for me. I'm a bit constrained by where my husband is going to be doing his PhD work and he will definitely not be doing it at Penn. My school list is pretty broad now because we're not positive where we'll be ending up and want to get as clear a picture possible of my potential acceptances/rejections when we choose his school...but he didn't even apply to Penn so that's out. I guess I could always commute from NYC though. Hahaha, okay, I'm a little paranoid and don't want to clarify my work experience too much because I've seen some alumni from my smallish undergrad on this board before and they might be able to guess exactly who I am if I get too specific.

"Bee" your best!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying in 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 15:54
I would replace UNC with NYU...I think NYU has a a club for luxury brands if thats what you want to do you should do some research on that. Still luxury goods is very hard and tiny segment, so if you are going to want to go there then you are going to need a top school. I know we had the CEO from one of Gucci's brands here this week, but still think that opportunities are far and few between, even at the school considered the top marketing program in the world.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Current Student

Re: Applying in 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 16:34
Thanks, Riverriper. I most certainly will be replacing UNC with Stern, especially with the new GMAT score. I was kind of worried about NYU and Columbia with the 640...not that even an 800 makes you a sure thing anywhere, but I feel better now.

"Bee" your best!

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying in 2009 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 16:15
With you new GMAT score, I think you're in the range where you can apply anywhere. So i would take out a couple of the safeties and apply to the ones mentioned wharton, NYU, Kellogg. You profile with the 710 is solid! You have calculus and some math so you should be good with the quants

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying in 2009 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 09:02
no problem ellebee. But make sure it is crystal clear to the adcom ! You have a great profile , good luck!
Re: Applying in 2009   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2008, 09:02