Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Applying is like dating

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [7] , given: 8

Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 16:58
This post received
KUDOS
In the midst of application season, I'm sure most of you have gotten your fair share of acceptances, dings, and waitlists. To the ones who got into your dream schools - CONGRATS! To the ones who weren't as lucky and feel dispirited with questions such as:

"I'm great candidate. What went wrong?", "I have the same, if not, better stats than X. How come he/she got in while I didn't?".

and angry thoughts such as:

"It's not fair. This is all bull crap", "I really don't know what the adcoms are looking for!"

take a deep breath and think of the whole admissions process like dating. Why did the hot girl reject you? You had the looks, money, and charm. Here's my tongue and cheek analysis from a guy's perspective:

Bschools are like women, the hotter and smarter they are, the more they want. They want the whole package from a man (applicant). They want looks +money (profile), charm (essays), and height (GPA/GMAT).

1. Does height (GPA/GMAT) matter?

Have you ever heard of the common saying among women: "As long as he's taller or as tall as I am when I'm on heels, that's fine". That's exactly what it is. As long as you have an average or above average GPA/GMAT, you're good. If you're short, then you better be either a Tom Cruise or a rich/charming guy (strong profile). On the other hand, have you've ever heard of a girl smitten by a guy just because he's Andre the giant (GMAT:800)? Yeah, I don't think so.

2. I don't understand, he's a jerk, why is she with him?

Sorry man, Brad Pitt might be a bad actor or Tommy Lee might be a mess (bad essays), but they still get Angelina Jolie and Pamela Anderson (HBS, Stanford). Why? I mean seriously? You're asking why? If the guy is either a rock star at Goldman/McKinsey or is a founder of a successful venture/non-profit, I don't think Angelina/Pamela really cares if he only had average essays, never wrote his/her interviewer a thank you not. Remember Stanfords infamous tortilla essay? Bottom line, if you're hot (excellent profile), girls will let you get away with a lot of things.

3. But what about that dude who knocked up Natalie Portman?

True, anomalies happen. That dude (still don't know his name) might have been an average joe. But he was there at the right time, right place. Sometimes, love (fit) is a weird thing that's hard to explain as well. You'll never why that hot chick picked the chubby average joe over you. She might just have a thing for love handles (we didn't get anyone from Mali yet this year, etc.)

4. Fine, I don't need Angelina/Pamela/Natalie. I just need a decent girl.

Oh, you're talking about outside M7? Sure, these girls are a catch. They're cute, have decent personalities and don't care if you're a bit overweight, bald, or broke. As long as you're a decent guy, you have a good shot at them. But you have to try harder to prove that you're serious. And I mean flowers, phone calls (school visits, research) all that jazz. Hot girls such as Angelina (HBS) are sick and tired of receiving flowers and men telling her how hot she is. They don't care. Speaking of which, if average-decent girl finds you spending too much time with Angelina/Pamela, they might either feel insecure or judge that you're just one of those hot playboys who aren't serious with her. Next thing you know, she's not returning your calls (ding) or telling you she needs more time (waitlist).

5. Ahem, does um, ethnicity matter? (People who are PC and sensitive, skip this section) :)
Okay, I'm not gonna directly answer that questions. But all I can say is, it's the same as dating.
Black/Latino guy walks into the bar. The female subconscious goes: Oooh lala, I can see him on a horse with an old spice in his hand.
Asian guy walks into the bar. The female subconscious goes: Well, he's nice, hard working, smart and probably even a doctor. Something's missing though, he seems like all the other Asian (*cough* nerds) I know.
P.S. I'm a minority. :)

If you view the whole application process as a dating game. You'll probably feel a lot better. I'm an average joe who's got a good mix of rejects and acceptances from the girls I've pursued in my life. Yes, in the beginning, I somewhat take a rejection more personal - "Am I not good enough?", "What did I do wrong?". Eventually you just realize there's nothing wrong with you (or her). It's all about chemistry (fit) or your approach (application).

The good news for the average joes is that there's always a chance if you try hard. You know, like the guy who's not tall nor good looking, but gets the girls just because he never gives up showing his charm (apply, apply, reapply).

Good luck to everyone on hearing back from the remaining schools! :-D
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 17:08
This post received
KUDOS
You lost me when you equated Pamela Anderson with Stanford University.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 8

Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 17:14
sectionalhealing wrote:

Pamela Anderson has Hep C and isn't hot anymore. She was sooo 1995 :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 17:24
Massive kudos!! Thanks for the laugh---made my week!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 8

Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 17:32
sectionalhealing wrote:

Even my wife protested that part. Who do you think is hot enough to be the equivalent of Stanford? 8-)
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 18:19
danerd wrote:
sectionalhealing wrote:

Even my wife protested that part. Who do you think is hot enough to be the equivalent of Stanford? 8-)

I would nominate Natalie Portman for Stanford (even though she went to Harvard, and even though she's preggers).

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 8

Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 18:35
brainhurt wrote:
danerd wrote:
sectionalhealing wrote:

I would nominate Natalie Portman for Stanford (even though she went to Harvard, and even though she's preggers).

She's gonna one fine MILF :lol:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 56

Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 18:36
"3. But what about that dude who knocked up Natalie Portman?"

Priceless.
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 18:46
Intern
Intern
Schools: UMD Smith, MSU Broad w/$$, Northeastern w/$$$, PSU Smeal - cancelled int, withdrawn
WE 1: Real Estate - 4 yrs
WE 2: Manufacturing - 1 yr

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 19:17
haha thanks for the good laugh!! this didn't turn out as misogynistic or (too) sexist as I initially feared.
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 08:46
haha.....I was just talking to someone about how I felt the pain for guys in dating from this application process! But on the opposite side, girls(applicants) need to learn how to say no to guys(schools) they do not want too!

It's all about a good mix of everything and the chemistry. And when you get in (once you are dating), make sure you can make the two year commitment at least.

Dream the impossible and do the incredible.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 20:29
interesting analogy
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 71

Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 20:43
it got a laugh out of me. pretty clever. might have to view dating like as if its applying to b-school now ;)

so all you chicks holler at me, i'm decent height (average gmat), pretty charming (good essays), and have decent looks (i think that was GPA?) :-D :-D

and i'm a lakers fan :-D

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 05:29
lol thanks for the laugh :D
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 5

Re: Applying is like dating [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 17:55
Quote:
Speaking of which, if average-decent girl finds you spending too much time with Angelina/Pamela, they might either feel insecure or judge that you're just one of those hot playboys who aren't serious with her. Next thing you know, she's not returning your calls (ding) or telling you she needs more time (waitlist).

Do bschools know what other schools you apply to / visit etc?
Re: Applying is like dating   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2011, 17:55