Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Applying Round 1 vs. Round 2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Applying Round 1 vs. Round 2 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 15:14
I know that this question has been discussed quite frequently on the forum, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion again on Round 1 vs. Round 2. I believe that some had found that Round 1 had a slightly better acceptance rate than Round 2, but the books I have been reading (Montauk) all suggest that the Rounds are equally weighted. I am only applying to one school, Kellogg, and I believe I have a fairly good shot at getting in (GMAT above the average, good work experience, extracurricular, recommendations from alumni, etc.) and I was on track to apply to Round 1, but due to some additional responsibilities at work, I have been working some long hours recently and the application process has been temporarily put on hold. Currently, I have all my essays outlined, but I have yet to write any in full. Additionally, I was hoping to get another professional certification and launch a website for one of my volunteer organizations before I submitted my application and it just seems that trying to do all this at once would make for a lesser quality application.

So what is everyone's thoughts? Go nuts trying to finish and get it done for Round 1 (and possibly have a better chance) or have a more relaxed pace and get everything in and submit a more polished application for Round 2? Ideally, I would like as many critiques on my application as possible and this would definitely allow it.

Also, can anyone recommend a resource for critiquing essays? I do not mind spending the money on good critiquing if it is worth it.

TIA!

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying Round 1 vs. Round 2 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 16:55
First, I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, especially if the only school is Kellogg. This coming year will be extremely competitive, and a ton of people who may have the stats to get in, probably will not. That said, if you are set on only Kellogg, and I am sure there are numerous reasons to only apply to one school, the best advice is always to apply when you feel your app is at it's best, and as early as you can. If this means waiting until you have your additional certification, and a website, then I would wait. If you feel you can submit a great app for Round 1, then go ahead and move forward. I know Riverripper went R1 last year at Kellogg and found out just after Thanksgiving, which sure would be nice!

Best of luck either way! I am applying to Kellogg as well, so I know those essays are tough.

~Sam
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1550 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Applying Round 1 vs. Round 2 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 05:51
There are typically more applicants in R2 than in R1, so people say "R1 is better odds"... but the REASON there are more applicants in R2, is because only those who are really prepared apply in R1 - and those tend to be relatively rare. These are folks who have finished their GMAT months ago, prepped their interviewers in September, started drafts of essays in the weeks following the essays release, etc.

So, although there are fewer applicants in R1, they are predominately strong applicants, whereas R2 is going to have a mix of strong and weak (rushing to avoid R3).

My take: I'd rather have a strong application in a big pond than a weak application in a small pond.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying Round 1 vs. Round 2 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 08:33
I think one advantage of round 1 is if your from an overrepresented group.

In round one you might be the 10th white male finance or indian male IT app that they've read. In round 2, you might be the 1,00th, at which point they will be sick of hearing from those applicants (and running out of spots for them).
Re: Applying Round 1 vs. Round 2   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2008, 08:33